Can't decide on coin cell vs aaa light

Spork

Enlightened
hello. Its been a while since I've posted here.

I'm currently using a photon freedom on my keychain. I've been debating on staying with a coin cell vs a aaa light.

I really like the small size of the photon but my problem with them is that they are so easy to leave on. I try to remember and put it on momentary mode which brings me to something else I don't like about it. If you hold it down for more than a few seconds then it switches back to normal.

I also have a e1 that I'm thinking of putting back on my keys but its just so much heavier than the photon. Is 4-5 keys and a e1 to much weight for ignition switches?

thanks

Marduke

Flashaholic
I don't have any trouble with the Freedom accidentally clicking on. I think that's an issue they fixed a couple years ago. Might be worth picking up a new brighter GS model for $11 from CFR Lights.

An AAA light would also be a good idea, something like the Fenix LD01

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I really like the Photons for their form factor and I don't see the point of an AAA light. If more than a Photon is needed, an AAA light won't get the job done either (AAA light on primaries, that is :D )

Why not try a Photon II? They have the upgraded LED, too, and they don't click on.

The only problem I see is that they don't come in the fancy colors of the Freedom, which is a shame :)

bernie

PhotonColors.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
I also have a e1 that I'm thinking of putting back on my keys but its just so much heavier than the photon. Is 4-5 keys and a e1 to much weight for ignition switches?
You'd need a lot of weight for a whole lot of years of heavy use to actually damage the ignition switch on a car. A single AAA on your keychain ain't gonna make a difference in that, but if still you want to lighten up the load, use lithium AAA batteries.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Kiessling. Been carrying a photon II for many years and I can't say I have a single real complaint.

That said, I sem-recently aquired a Streamlight Key-Mate (similar to Nickleplate's suggestion but a hair larger) and could DEFINATELY see carrying that on a keychain. Only drawback would be the battery configuration if you plan on using it regularly at all.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The ignition switch of a car is more than sufficiently robust to endure the mass of a AAA light + keys. A long time ago I had a mag solitaire, 6 keys, small bottle opener and a car alarm remote on my key ring. I dont think that should be the reason holding you back from an E01 or Arc AAA.

If it were me I'd go for the AAA light (Fenix E01), but long run time, regulated output, TypeIII anodize, proven durability, and waterproofing rank highest on my list.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd need a lot of weight for a whole lot of years of heavy use to actually damage the ignition switch on a car. A single AAA on your keychain ain't gonna make a difference in that, but if still you want to lighten up the load, use lithium AAA batteries.

I beg to differ. My ex-wife did it quite nicely in about two years with a keyring that had about a dozen keys on it. The switch didn't actually break, but it wouldn't return all of the way to RUN after starting without a little assistance from the human turning the key. Without that assistance the car would still stay running, but the heater blower wouldn't run (not a nice thing in Iowa in December) and other fun things like that.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a red Photon III about four years ago that I've been using everyday on my keychain. I've never removed the tab that activates all the "features" so that it can turn on in your pocket and be dead when you need it. I don't like dead keychain lights, they do me no good. I basically use it as a squeeze light, works perfect. The CR2032 battery lasts a very long time.

I can't say how many thousands of times this light has come in handy.

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
Coin cells are lame compared to what you can do with an aaa sized LiIon. The LF2 series or Fenix LD01 would be good choices. I have no problem carrying keys, a leatherman squirt, and the LF2x. My wife carries a micra and the LF2 seoul on her keychain. It's really nice to have rechargeable cells you can just top off now and then and always have some serious light. These aaa lights can produce more light than a D Cell maglight. It really just depends on what functionality is important to you.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I have both an LOD with a Eneloop (nimh) and a Photon Freedom and the LOD easily wins. The Photon is impressive for such a tiny thing but it's output is not really comparable to the LOD (and that's on just a nimh). I use my LOD all the time. If I used the Photon in the same manner, I'd be going through expensive coin cells all of the time. And I don't know what kind of batteries they're selling with the Freedom but neither of the two brands of replacement batteries I tried were as bright as the batteries that came with it. That tells me there are some consistency issues with those paper thin cells. The Photon Freedom is a back up for my LOD, not a competitor.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The coin cells light are fine for finding a keyhole, but the good AAA lights (Fenix LD01, LiteFlux LF2X) are as power full as many cheap full size flashlights. Some other AAA lights (Fenix E01, ARC) are more equal to the coin cell lights.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm obsessed with this topic and have some other posts in similar threads (search for "keychain"). I have been through a fauxton and then the E01, then the Lummi Wee (100 lumens) and just today received my LD01. I must say that the LD01 is an insanely good light. I posted a review here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212220

and here with some more comparison beamshots:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209089&page=2

In sum, if you are really going to use the light, I recommend the LD01. If you just want the tiniest thing for throwaway backup, a fauxton (or Photon of course) is great. Finally, if you want a gorgeous, jewelry-like piece of marvelous engineering on your keychain, the Lummi Wee (or the Drake) would be worth checking out. The main reason I am putting the Wee away for a bit is beause it is all flood and has almost no throw and it has only one mode with about 15 minutes of runtime as I've selected the 100 lumens model. The practicality of the LD01 is just so much better that even though it is bigger and bulkier, it is worth it!

As for the venerable E01--I LOVE the build on that light and sort of wish the LD01 used EXACTLY it's body since it is so small and light and smooth... but I cannot recommend it because it's beam was actually DIMMER than that of the fauxton and I just felt that to carry so much extra weight and size and get LESS (in a way--of course the runtime was far greater) was ridiculous... on the same battery, the LD01 is king.

:party:

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Photon Rex? Good output, good UI, about the size of a car remote and recharges with anything up to 3 volts. I'd say a good compromise between coin cell lights and aaa lights, but it's really not, it's an awesome alternative.

flashlife

Enlightened
As for the venerable E01--I LOVE the build on that light and sort of wish the LD01 used EXACTLY it's body since it is so small and light and smooth... but I cannot recommend it because it's beam was actually DIMMER than that of the fauxton and I just felt that to carry so much extra weight and size and get LESS (in a way--of course the runtime was far greater) was ridiculous... on the same battery, the LD01 is king.
...:party:

Leave both your fauxton and the E01 on for an hour and report back which is dimmer. :thinking:

Last edited:

Spork

Enlightened
thats the other thing I forgot to mention about coin cell lights. They are really bright for like 5 minutes then they start to drop off. I also prefer the covert photon models to reduce glare but unfortunately it also reduces the over all brightness. Most aaa lights seem to have some sort of reflector.

I dug out my e1 today and I think there is something wrong with it. It would only turn on periodically and now it won't function at all. I made sure there was no gunk on the battery contacts or on the light. Also tried a fresh battery but it won't turn back on. Any ideas for trouble shooting this?

thanks

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Coin cells are lame compared to what you can do with an aaa sized LiIon.

No, they aren't. They do give a size and weight advantage, and if those factors are problematic, a coin cell light can come in handy.
I prefer my girl having a photon (red, of course :D ) instead of having no light. And that is the point of a coin cell light.

bernie

kts

Enlightened
You cant compare a fauxton/photon or whatever 5mm led to a L0D :crackup:

The coincell will maybe help you find the keyhole, the L0D will light up an entire room...:cool:

Latest posts