Duracell Daylite 160 vs. Husky 200 Results (David Vs. Goliath) With Pics.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Here are the contenders side by side..

HuskyVDaylite.jpg

To start, I took a picture of the ambient light conditions.
1Ambient%20light.JPG

Seems like all the neighbors to my left have their spots and floods on tonight. Oh well.

Next, both lights were were aimed squarely at my shed door. The Husky went first.

2Huskyshed.JPG

As reported previously, the Husky has an insane amount of throw, with a tight hot spot at 66 feet away (shed door.) The spill lights up the neighbor's fence, shed, and house as well. While the hot spot was a bright white the spill actually had a bluish tinge to it.

I measured the actual distance to the far end of the fence tonight at 164 feet. The distance from the center of my shed door to the third visible fence post to the right is ~36 feet) Nice spill distance!

Next, it was the Daylite 160's turn.

3Daylite160shed.JPG

The "hot spot" was much less pronounced for the Daylite. Instead, the entire front of the shed was illuminated fairly uniformly. The spill directly behind the shed was observed to be much brighter, but side to side spill was wider for the Husky.

If you have read about the image analysis testing I perform indoors in a previous post, the following are the results between these two lights. The Husky's quoted lumens would appear to be real, as it spanked the Daylite in this test:

http://home.comcast.net/~rasanford1/Flashlights/Daylite V Husky 200.doc

Conclusions:While the Husky IS butt ugly, it is indeed an awesome light for $26 after tax. It comes with super heavy duty Everreadys, (which I substituted with my preferred Duracells for this test) and a three year warranty. It could easily double as a club, if the attacker could get close enough after withstanding a blast from its awesome throw, but it's too large and bulky for my every day preference.

The Daylite (purchased for about $38 after shipping) comes with 2 CR123A cells and a lifetime guarantee. It's a much smaller, lighter, and nicer looking (IMO) torch that holds its own by providing a nice white uniform source up close and at a distance.

The mass market is looking good for the future of LED lights! Maybe the expensive, high end providers will take note and bring their prices more in line with actual component costs, and lower their inflated margins.

Hitec

Last edited:

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
It was set to spot. On my 160, there is not a huge difference from spot to flood.

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
It was set to spot. On my 160, there is not a huge difference from spot to flood.
oh ok, I was also wondering about that. Has anyone made a light that has a dramatic difference?

It seems that the husky is not be a very good around the house light,The beam is so focused.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh ok, I was also wondering about that. Has anyone made a light that has a dramatic difference?

It seems that the husky is not be a very good around the house light,The beam is so focused.

Around the house, the Husky is still useful in candle light mode. This light is very amazing the way it bounces off a the ceiling and lights up a room. The rocket finned tailcap is rock solid, too. This would be a great emergency light if the power goes out. Bright output and a run time of up to 10 hours on Alkalines.:twothumbs

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
If anyone is interested, try downloading my full screen executable. (Made with irfanview) It 's a screenshow with the three pics shown at 1 second increments, one right on top of the next. Quite telling I think. (Don't worry, you are not loading a virus:eek:)

If you try it, let me know if you think it's worth doing for future comparisons.

Download the Screenshow here:
http://home.comcast.net/~rasanford1/Flashlights/Husky200 Vs Daylite160.exe

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
The Duracell Daylite was designed by Duracell's engineers. (American design) (There's a patent on it) but it is made in China, using a 4 watt Seoul (Korean)Semiconductor LED. (They work with Cree alot)

The Husky Is distributed by Home Depot, and is made in China, using a 4 watt Cree LED.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Duracell does. I know this because when I called a Duracell 800 number to find out where the 160 lumens version is sold, they hooked me up with a lady on a computer who could tell me where they had been sold most recently. You can call the number and find out based on your city or zip where they have been sold. (I don't have the 800 #any more, but I think I got it on their website.)

They sell 2 different 80 lumens versions at Walmart, but not the 160. Target will be selling them next year. Ace Hardware can order it for you, and it is available in the 160 version on about 5 or 6 websites. (It's new, so quantities of the 160 model are limited. Duracell is concentrating on filling Walmarts orders first, so 160's are in very limited supply.)

ALL this from talking to the lady on the phone!

Last edited:

JHCANDLEPOWER

Newly Enlightened
Husky vs Task Force (Lowes) 3W

Thanx OP for the review. Do you by chance have access to the Lowes 3W task force that reviewed so well? Anyone know how these two compare (i.e. illumination, runtime, build quality).

Does the Husky come with lifetime warranty? That's certainly a major plus for the Lowes. Great to see how competitive these poor mans flashlight compare to the high end models.

Best Regards!!!

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Re: Husky vs Task Force (Lowes) 3W

Thanx OP for the review. Do you by chance have access to the Lowes 3W task force that reviewed so well? Anyone know how these two compare (i.e. illumination, runtime, build quality).

Does the Husky come with lifetime warranty? That's certainly a major plus for the Lowes. Great to see how competitive these poor mans flashlight compare to the high end models.

Best Regards!!!

3 year warranty on the Husky.
I don't have a Lowes 3W task force, sorry.

pathalogical

Enlightened
Re: Husky vs Task Force (Lowes) 3W

Great shots ! Can you tell us about the reflectors: smooth or OP ? Can the Duracell take a Li Ion rechargeable ?

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Both have smooth reflectors. Not sure on the Lithium Ion rechargables, but betting yes on the Duracell. (Worst case is you take it back where you got it if it blows quickly, or just have it replaced by Duracell if it takes a while to blow, it's a lifetime guarantee.) Anyone else have experience with this?

Hitec

Tec40

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Husky200 tonight. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! It blew away my 4D Maglite at 50 yards. I wish they had more of those lights with centered LEDS. I only found 1 out of 4 lights with a centered LED. Hopefully, there will be better quality control in the future.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Pretty nice review there. IMHO, they should have used a reflector with a flat platform near the LED, as well as a little deeper, so that they can use a wider thicker convex lens. Their "Truebeam Optics" would throw far more. As it is, it has only slightly more throw than my Rayovac 2AA 3W... The convex lens really is only good for flooding the beam, in spot focus it probably only increases throw by a few lux, as it is too small and thin to focus much light at all. I DO really like the floodbeam though, it reminds me of an Inova X5 on steroids! My particular one has a nice flood, others have reported seeing a lot of blotchiness in the flood. This is why it really pays to check the alignment of emitters and look into the bezel when you can in the store.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Fog Shots!

First, an ambient shot of the foggy nite
01AmbientFogShot.JPG

Now the Husky200
02HuskyFogShot.JPG

You can really see the spill on a foggy night. The husky blankets the area with white (if not completely intense) light.
It's a lot of usable spill, but what a thrower!

And finally, the Daylite 160
03Daylite160FogShot.JPG

Again, I think the Daylite160 does a very good job of cutting through the fog to its target. It's flood beam is clearly evident.
Even in the fog, it does a better job of lighting up the fence behind with its spill, even though it is rated 20% lower for lumens than the Husky.

Aw what the fog, I might as well throw in the Maglite 2D for nostalgia...
04Mag2DFogShot.JPG

And of course an animated slideshow of the LED beams is offered as an exe. file for download (Not Mac compatible, sorrry) This really makes it easier to compare beams.
http://home.comcast.net/~rasanford1/Flashlights/Husky200 Vs Daylite160 FogShots.exe

If you try the screen show, try standing back 10-15 feet from your monitor.

Hope you enjoyed the show

Last edited: