DX sku6090 P60 Drop-In -- Modification?

oronocova

Enlightened
Hello,
I ordered one of the above to put in a SF G2 and was wondering if anyone else with this same drop-in had modified it so that it would draw less current and thus build up less heat? I did find one post where someone had replaced a resistor with a slightly larger one, but that was all i found and in that case the output was not significantly less. My goal is to make it at least a little more fool-proof (i.e. the user doesn't have to be a conscious about how long it is on) so that as a gift for Christmas it will not fail because of excessive heat.
I can't really justify the price of a M60L for this gift or else I would just go that route; the giftee will not have the same appreciation for the light as I would. I was hoping someone had made a "poor-man's" version of such a drop-in however.
So, is it a simple matter of replacing/adding a resistor or are you stuck with what you get? I'm also open to buying another drop-in if there is one that is more easily modified. I'd like to stay away from multi-mode unless there is a way to cut out some of the modes, which I doubt?

Thanks in advance,
-Jon

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The only single mode, low current modules I can think of are the M60L and LL. On the 6090, I think it would be easier to swap the driver... but thats if you can find one thats spec'd to run at 6 Volts with ~200-500 mah current output. DX does not sell a DC-DC board that does this IIRC. If someone else has already done a resistor mod, send him a PM and see what he comes back with.

You could mod the 6090 to run direct drive, the regulation & output curve would depend on the cells used. You'd have to pick a resistor optimized for lower current.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I've recommended the 6090 numerous times because it already does draw a low enough current to keep the heat situation managable in the G2. The DX 6090 should be fine the way it is. It will still get hot but it shouldn't get anywhere near as hot as the 1.2 amp modules. Mine draws under 600ma on 2 primaries. What is yours drawing?

If you have any connection issues, carefully run a bead of solder around the bottom brass edge of the pill, where it contacts the G2 metal sleeve. Be careful not to heat up the pill too much. Doing this mod will make it work just like the SF stock module.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've measured ~0.8A draw from my 6090s using two SureFire 123A primaries and ~0.6A using two AW 123A secondaries.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I've recommended the 6090 numerous times because it already does draw a low enough current to keep the heat situation managable in the G2. The DX 6090 should be fine the way it is. It will still get hot but it shouldn't get anywhere near as hot as the 1.2 amp modules. Mine draws under 600ma on 2 primaries. What is yours drawing?

If you have any connection issues, carefully run a bead of solder around the bottom brass edge of the pill, where it contacts the G2 metal sleeve. Be careful not to heat up the pill too much. Doing this mod will make it work just like the SF stock module.

x2.... the 6090 runs cooler than my 11836 by a small but noticeable amount. IIRC mine draws around .57A
As much as I like surefires, I'm not a big fan of the G2 as an LED host. IMHO the Solarforce L2 is a better option if you just want to host an LED, for less $$.
http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...witch-all-Black-Type-2-Anodized_p_6-2629.html

Last edited:

oronocova

Enlightened
Just got the G2's today. My first Surefire lights. They are definitely well built. I am not a fan of the momentary press, twist for locked on feature. I should have researched that first... ah well, they are gifts and the people they are going to will not mind! Sounds like the 6090 module doesn't draw as much as I thought it did, so it will probably be ok. I'll find out when it comes in.

I have a Solarforce L2, for the money I couldn't imagine how it could be much better built. Wish mine didn't have the strike bezel, maybe someday I'll knock it down. The WF501B is also a well made host FWIW, again with the strike bezel though :-/... just pokes you when you have it on a belt.

Anyway, thanks for the replies looks like I shouldn't be as worried as I was perhaps.

-Jon