E2D LED

gofaster_s13

Newly Enlightened
Have been using an E2D LED defender and have been amazed with it. Is there any other flashlight that puts out as much light in a similar sized package or not much bigger.

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened
Hi gofaster_s13
I too have a Surefire E2DL and i'm very impressed by its performance,i'd say the actual output of this light could be 180-200 lumens. and i would say from experience it could throw a beam a good 450-500ft.
Having said that there is alot of lights out there in similar size that can up it on the brightness but not nessesarily the quality (my opinion) facture.
The fenix TK10/11 come to mind the Olight M20 WarriorR2 Premium to name a few.All these lights are rated over 220 lumens but i don't think they can touch the awsome TIR optic beam of the E2DL (again my opinion) .

Take care

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you mean lumen wise, throw wise or what?

For example, the (oh crap, please don't start arguing that Surefire is better then everyone else, I'm just going by numbers) Fenix TK20 should be similar output wise but throw less then the E2DL because of the optic Surefire uses.

The Fenix Tk11, Olight M20, Dereelight CL1H(with smooth reflector) and similar should throw as much as the E2DL but have more total output(more spill).

1996alnl

Enlightened
Do you mean lumen wise, throw wise or what?

For example, the (oh crap, please don't start arguing that Surefire is better then everyone else, I'm just going by numbers) Fenix TK20 should be similar output wise but throw less then the E2DL because of the optic Surefire uses.

The Fenix Tk11, Olight M20, Dereelight CL1H(with smooth reflector) and similar should throw as much as the E2DL but have more total output(more spill).

Ha Ha don't worry gunner12, i'm not starting another "SF is better than everyone else thread".
The M20 will throw farther than the E2DL. Pointing my M20 up to the sky alongside my E2DL i can see the M20 (with a SM) throw at least 40% more than my E2DL.Very impressive.
All i'm saying is i find and like the E2DL's beam better (to my eyes) than the others,to me it's a little more useful.The hotspot is medium not tight so it can light up an area (say 70ft,or so) from me better than a dedicated thrower.
Nothing against those other lights,i think their great.To me the E2DL is an all around light. Decent throw,good side spill and a flawless beam.
That's just my opinion.I know different lights have different charateristics that's why i'm collecting them.

Take care

Mdinana

Enlightened
This really suprised me, but I was playing last night with a E1 (with a KL1 head) and my Jet-II IBS. When I tightened down the Jet, both threw nearly identically sized hotspots, nearly the same distance down the street. Colors were different, as the SF had more green tinge. Yeah, I know your question is about the E2, but the E1 LED is the closest I have to compare with. Sorry.

Then of course, the Jet's head will loosen, and become a rather diffuse "flood" light.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can put a Malkoff M60 in a 6P - its a bit larger than the E2DL but throws a decent spot with much more spill. It throws about as well as the E2DL.

For the size though, its hard to top the E2DL - one of my favorites!

1996alnl

Enlightened
For the size though, its hard to top the E2DL - one of my favorites!

Yeah it's one of my favourites too in a rugged sort of way.I'm not the type of person who worry's about getting their lights dinged up or the HA worn down etc..
Here's a good story i'd like to share with you all.
A good freind of mine works in the contruction industry,"pre fab" he calls it. They were running behind schedule on a job and were working later,sometimes it started getting dark by the time they were packing up.
He asked me if he could borrow one of my lights,i lent him my E2DL. He said it was perfect in the toolbelt didn't get in the way.
One day when he was standing on a scaffold 50ft. high
the light fell off his belt bounced off the steel beams and landed on the parking lot.
"Aww f#ck i'm out $164" he thought.
Much to his amazment when the light was returned to him it was ON. The HA was scratched up on the teeth and the tailcap but it worked like new.
When he returned the light to me and told me what happened and said he'll buy me a new one,i took the light opened it up and threw the batteries in the garbage and said "don't worry about it"
He said "well there's a few guys who want to know where you got it."

Take care

The Sun

Enlightened
the E2DL is awesome, the E1B is half the size and does allmost as good. the Fenix TK11 out throws the E2DL by a pretty good bit ( i have two TK11's and one TK10, and i think one of my 11's is an overachiever). my Eagletac T10C2 throws even further than the TK11 (my T10C throws as far as the TK11) but, they are larger and i also think the E2DL's beam is more usefull. i love the E1B, allmost everything in the E2DL just smaller. the Eagletac T10C is smaller than the E2DL, TK11, and T10C2. it as well is awesome. it throws as far as the TK11, and further than the E2DL, great price, and great build quality, but its new, and it desn't yet have the rep. of reliability as a Surefire. happy hunting!!!:thumbsup:

I also agree that Surefire hit the jackpot with the new E series. If they made a 3-cell version that was brighter than the E2DL I could guarantee there would be a flashlight sale in the Marketplace for a lot of my lights.

1996alnl

Enlightened
A 3 cell E series light? Wow i never thought of that.I'm just waiting for the Optimus and Invictus to come out,could you imagine how bright 200-400 "Surefire" lumens is?
That's what i call a street sweeper.:twothumbs

Take care

mhubble

Enlightened
To all the guys with the SUREFIRE E2DL...What kind of runtimes do get out of a set of batteries? Full brightness for how long? Thanks

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The size of the light, output, and beam of the E2DL make it very unique. I don't of any other light that compares to it.
  • It isn't much bigger than it needs to be to fit everything in it, comparable to many lower output lights.
  • It is up there with the brightest of single emitter LED lights.
  • Its hot spot is gigantic, about twice the size of other lights.
  • It has very little to no spill outside of that hot spot.
It's small and bright, and it's great if you're not concerned with anything other than what you're pointing the light at. I saw a thread, not on here, that showed the importance of side spill... having no side spill would be like having no peripheral vision and never seeing anything out of the corner of your eye. IMO, this light should not be used for law enforcement, or even going outside to inspect a noise you've heard. The beam puts it in more of a casual class of light.

I don't think there is a light out that stands next to it.

ja10

Enlightened
The size of the light, output, and beam of the E2DL make it very unique. I don't of any other light that compares to it.
  • It isn't much bigger than it needs to be to fit everything in it, comparable to many lower output lights.
  • It is up there with the brightest of single emitter LED lights.
  • Its hot spot is gigantic, about twice the size of other lights.
  • It has very little to no spill outside of that hot spot.
It's small and bright, and it's great if you're not concerned with anything other than what you're pointing the light at. I saw a thread, not on here, that showed the importance of side spill... having no side spill would be like having no peripheral vision and never seeing anything out of the corner of your eye. IMO, this light should not be used for law enforcement, or even going outside to inspect a noise you've heard. The beam puts it in more of a casual class of light.

I don't think there is a light out that stands next to it.

In an urban environment with ambient light, isn't a hotspot-only light more practical in some ways? When I use my U2 in a city, I find that even Level 6 is washed out pretty quickly by the surrounding light. It still works great for giving more light to the area right right around me, but it won't work well to light up a dark corner 40 feet away.

I can also see a situation where an L.E.O. or security guard is scanning a field or checking a permitter, where the extra throw would be useful.

I do see your point though. I suppose if I were in one of those situations, I'd want two lights anyway, and I could see one of them being the E2DL, if only for :twak:

1996alnl

Enlightened
To all the guys with the SUREFIRE E2DL...What kind of runtimes do get out of a set of batteries? Full brightness for how long? Thanks

I got about 100 min. of flat regulation on SF cr123's after that it started to dim but i just turned it off.
I currently use Tenergy Lifep04 3V RCR123's in it now and i get about 40 min. regulated then the light just shuts down automaticaly.
The run times are much shorter but i have two sets,so i always have some backup power and my wallet:broke: and the environment:D thank me.

Take care

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got about 100 min. of flat regulation on SF cr123's after that it started to dim but i just turned it off.
I currently use Tenergy Lifep04 3V RCR123's in it now and i get about 40 min. regulated then the light just shuts down automaticaly.
The run times are much shorter but i have two sets,so i always have some backup power and my wallet:broke: and the environment:D thank me.

Take care

I've been using lifep04s as well (AW's) for my e2dl - love em!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking of picking up some AW's too,how's the runtime on them?

Take care

The runtime is OK at about 1/3 the runtime of primary CR123 cells - probably very very similar to your Tenergy. They can take a lot of abuse and bounce back when discharged rather low (although this is bad for the life of the cell) - not sure about the Tenergy but the AWs do not have a protection circuit so you have to "eyeball" the usage.

People here swear by AW as his products exude quality - probably the most important factor when buying batteries as nobody wants one that will go :poof:! (even though lifep04s are apparently :poof: proof)

Give them a try!

1996alnl

Enlightened
The runtime is OK at about 1/3 the runtime of primary CR123 cells - probably very very similar to your Tenergy. They can take a lot of abuse and bounce back when discharged rather low (although this is bad for the life of the cell) - not sure about the Tenergy but the AWs do not have a protection circuit so you have to "eyeball" the usage.

People here swear by AW as his products exude quality - probably the most important factor when buying batteries as nobody wants one that will go :poof:! (even though lifep04s are apparently :poof: proof)

Give them a try!

Hey bulfrog,when you say eyeball the usage do you mean your E2DL will dim with the AW's?
My Tenergy's don't have protection,i don't think LifePo4 cells need it.
My E2DL works awsome on these cells but you have to make sure you have a spare set ready because when the cells drop a certain voltage there's no dimming,just OFF.
I think i'm going to give the AW's a try.

Take care

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey bulfrog,when you say eyeball the usage do you mean your E2DL will dim with the AW's?
My Tenergy's don't have protection,i don't think LifePo4 cells need it.
My E2DL works awsome on these cells but you have to make sure you have a spare set ready because when the cells drop a certain voltage there's no dimming,just OFF.
I think i'm going to give the AW's a try.

Take care

Honestly, I have never run the lifep04s long enough to see if there is dimming or even just a clean cut off (I'm too paranoid about killing the cells to let it go for too long).

By "eyeballing" I just meant keeping a mental note on about how much time you have left keeping to the 1/3 rule... Whenever I finish a significant run with the lifep04s I always pop them back on the charger - I never let them run out.

Hope this helps.

I'd be interested in hearing your comparison between the AWs and Tenergy if you pick the AWs up...