Kroma Tailcap question

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
So im playing with my PKEF turbo Kroma and im noticing something.

Half press forward IR/BLUE/Low WHITE (depending on selector switch)
Full press for Full WHITE
Half press reverse from full for Low WHITE (regardless of selector switch)

If I twist my tailcap I get the same results. twist a little for BLUE/IR/low WHITE. Twist a little more to lock then FULL WHITE. twist backwards and light goes into low light mode.

Can someone confirm this? the half press release from full press is that what you guys call "reverse clicky" but in this case, I dont get a clicky.

MorpheusT1 posted this and said that his has a prototype 2-stage CLICKY. mine does not.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2221065&postcount=19

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroma, non-milspec is as follows:

Your chosen "low" level is activated first, regardless of whether you depress the tailcap or twist it. This level is chosen by adjusting the selector ring.

Continue to press/twist the tailcap and the main white beam will activate on top of the previous "low" mode. Reducing pressure on the tailcap or untwisting slightly will return you to the low mode alone, then off.

e.g. blue LEDs activate first, you continue twisting and the main white beam is activated as well.

Regards,
Tempest

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Yes, I much prefer the Milspec, which is only two-stage when set to white. It's the perfect UI for this kind of light I think.

This makes me feel better about not being able to afford a Turbo! :nana:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroma, non-milspec is as follows:

Your chosen "low" level is activated first, regardless of whether you depress the tailcap or twist it. This level is chosen by adjusting the selector ring.

Continue to press/twist the tailcap and the main white beam will activate on top of the previous "low" mode. Reducing pressure on the tailcap or untwisting slightly will return you to the low mode alone, then off.

e.g. blue LEDs activate first, you continue twisting and the main white beam is activated as well.

Regards,
Tempest

Yes but i thought Kroma tailcaps press/twist back to blue?

So lets say I have blue LED selected on the selector switch.

initial Press/twist: blue leds
full press/twist: FULL white w/ BLUE leds on as well
release press/twist: low white (no blue)

that is the result of my turbo kroma.

I thought a normal non-milspec kroma is as follows:
initial half Press/twist: blue leds
release half press/twist: blue leds

How does a Mil-spec differ? I thought they just dont have the low blue and low red LEDs and have IR and YG leds instead?

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Huh? Since when was the Kroma supposed to have a clicky switch? I have both the KROMA and KROMA-MS and neither one has a clicky switch. It's a two-stage press switch for momentary and if I want constant on I have to twist.

Edit: Just re-read the OP and realized it was not the retail versions of the KROMA being discussed. :oops:

Last edited:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
How does a Mil-spec differ? I thought they just dont have the low blue and low red LEDs and have IR and YG leds instead?

With the KROMA-MS, if you have the selector ring on something other than white, you do not have a two stage. Whether you press/twist the switch only partially or fully, you do not get the high white, only the color LEDs you selected via the ring.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? Since when was the Kroma supposed to have a clicky switch? I have both the KROMA and KROMA-MS and neither one has a clicky switch. It's a two-stage press switch for momentary and if I want constant on I have to twist.

read the thread I posted from MorpheusT1. his first PKEF has a prototype 2-stage clicky.

With the KROMA-MS, if you have the selector ring on something other than white, you do not have a two stage. Whether you press/twist the switch only partially or fully, you do not get the high white, only the color LEDs you selected via the ring.

Well I did not know that. thank you very much for clearing that up. I was debating getting a milspec but knowing that the full white is not there at full press (regardless of color led choice) is a let down.

I am now even more glad I got this Blue/IR/White PKEF. with both blue or IR modes selected, I always have full white at full press.

Back to my conundrum. Basically I am saying that my PKEF is a 3-stage light.

half press . . . full press . . . . . . . .half release
color leds -> Full white w/leds -> low white no leds

Last edited:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Yes but i thought Kroma tailcaps press/twist back to blue?

So lets say I have blue LED selected on the selector switch.

initial Press/twist: blue leds
release press/twist: low white (no blue)

that is the result of my turbo kroma.

I thought a normal non-milspec kroma is as follows:
initial half Press/twist: blue leds
release half press/twist: blue leds

Your description is correct for the regular KROMA. When you release / twist the switch back to the "low" position it reverts to the "low" that is selected via the ring. Your turbo KROMA is behaving rather strangely (in my opinion, but maybe it was deliberately designed that way?) in always going back to low white when you are releasing / twisting the switch.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep brand new. I think this maybe something specific with the PKEF. MorpheusT1 sort of mentioned that his does the smae thing but I didnt seem to get a definite answer.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K2s have always had a few problems, in my experience. Particularly when trying to activate the low mode by depressing the tailcap rather than twisting.

Regards,
Tempest

Praxis

Enlightened
Your PKEF Turbo Kroma tail switch is working fine. I was talking with Milkyspit about this light the other day. What he figures is that PK designed the switch as a "poor man's" 3-stage. Really it is a two-stage tail and the other switching is in the electronics in the head. When you have the selector ring set to a color mode, setting one (light press or twist) takes you to the color leds. Setting two (heavy press or twist) takes you to high beam. When you slack off on the tail switch, the electronics in the head interpret this as going to setting three (low-beam mode) since there is a change in current, even though you are actually putting the tailcap back in setting one. A simple mechanical solution if you ask me. Probably, also an attempt to avoid some of the problems PK experienced with the original three-stage clicky design.

It is important to remember that the PKEF is an experimental design by PK and does not function the same as the regular K2 Kroma.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you that makes perfect sense. DUH it is a PK EXPERIMENTAL FLASHLIGHT. it makes sense that there might be some different things other than just a turbo head.

after closer inspection of my light, when it goes into the "third stage" low beam the color leds are actually still on, it is just that they are dimmed as well and are washed out by the higher intensity and brightness of the "low beam"

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK hate to be naggy, but I finally jumped on the rechargeable Li-On battery bandwagon and bought RCR123, 17500, and 18650s.

Anyway when i use RCR123 in my standard Kroma, it acts just like my PKEF.

It goes color led, full white, dim white (but the dim white is like 10 maybe 15 lumens lower than full)