Wow talk about rings!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
That beam sucks, for sure... :eek:

But, are there lights at 1/5 of 2,50 $???

The cheapest I own is a gift from my Surefire dealer, such a little oval plastic thing with a finger-like-optic of 5mm pointing out. It doesn't make a doughnut, but what comes out can't be qualified as a beam as well. He told me they also sell them around 2 €...

EDIT : I just found that "thing" at the same dealer : http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3414

Indeed : 5.15 for 10 pieces and mine has a normal LED. Nothing but gansters here! :drool:

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Sir let me say to you that there are very few things in this world that I look at and actually say EWWWW out loud to.

AS to the beamshot in that link: EEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

I have been less repulsed by washing off dead bodies at work. :faint:

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah... that's the new Jupiter light, special beam pattern made possible only by special optics developed with the latest technology and materials (and thousands of research man/woman-hours) :D

kramer5150

Flashaholic
poor optical design. The aspheric is too far away from the emitter, that produces the uselessly tight hot spot. The diameter of the aspheric dome does not extend all the way to the sides of the bezel, this creates the ring, as "stray" light leaks out from around the perimeter of the aspheric. I have a river rock 2-C that does the same thing, but its center spot is not nearly as tight focused. I removed the aspheric entirely and just use it open emitter for better flood.

I dont know why designers always take 5mm LEDs and pair them with aspherics that are to tightly focused. Aspherics can be used to diffuse the Nichia CS/GS blue spot into a single uniform color light, the key is to place the aspheric close to the emitter to retain useful flood, and refract as much emitted lumens as possible.

Last edited: