Surefire 6P w/ 3 18650's?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to get the ultimate time available out of my 6P.
I was thinking of getting the leefbody able to hold 3 18650's along with Cree Q5 LED Drop-in Module (3.7V~18V Input). I know the leefbody is $79 dollars, but I like the idea of what I hope would be 200 lumens for 4 or 5 hours.

Is this a realistic expectation?
My other option is to just get the Malkoff M60LL, but its only 80lumens for about 8 impressive hours.

Can anyone shed some light on me?:candle:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're building one of my top 3 dream lights:twothumbs. If this doesn't work it will have smashed my hops and dreams to:poof::mecry:. Just to let you know the light is going to look very silly being so narrow and long with a D 26 head:nana:. Just telling you as a warring: "Though it is what makes me want it even more!:crackup::grin2:" I was going to get the drop in from Lumens factory. Because they are meant to take up to that voltage. For $79 if you already have the light I think it's worth it. But that's just me:thinking:, I am the one who builds hotwire lights from cardboard, and carry around 18 pound spotlights for miles at a time when I go hiking:ohgeez::wtf:.

Just to let you know I have never seen this combination on the threads before "I'm sure some people have it though" but it makes it that more appalling because it's more of a rarity.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I dont see why it wouldn't work. it would look silly though... like a long pole:crackup:. I wonder how rigid'flexible it is at that ridiculous length?

You could take it a step further with a dual mode tailcap paired with the M60LL. Although I am not sure if any dual mode tailcaps are designed to run at that high voltage.

If it were me I'd opt for the 2x18650 + M60LL + resistor'd low mode tailcap from sandwiche shoppe.

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would look silly though... like a long pole:crackup:.
Imagine the light on the far left, with a 6P head.
Leefx8.jpg

Image property of DM51 taken from this thread.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont see why it wouldn't work. it would look silly though... like a long pole:crackup:. I wonder how rigid'flexible it is at that ridiculous length?

You could take it a step further with a dual mode tailcap paired with the M60LL. Although I am not sure if any dual mode tailcaps are designed to run at that high voltage.

If it were me I'd opt for the 2x18650 + M60LL + resistor'd low mode tailcap from sandwiche shoppe.

I am debating between 2x18650 because like you said I can run any drop in bulb without reservation about too high of a Voltage. Yet, I think it would be the ideal camping outdoor light with 3x18650's. People still carry 4 and 6 D Maglights.

donn_

Flashaholic
It would look like this with a 6P head:

001-103.jpg

You could use the same drop-in the slightly larger Z32 shock isolated bezel:

003-65.jpg

But, for a D26 drop-in, I like the M2 bezel best:

002-91.jpg

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see anything wrong with that.
Better than the placement that the switch for the mag. With SF clones, you can always find the switch. Albeit you do have to shift you grip substantially.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
For max runtime on a P60 drop-in, go with the Big Leef system (second and third from the left) with a C-series collar and bezel. The TnC C-Flex system would work as well.

These are awesome pics.

IMO the best looking one (i.e. most balanced) is the right-most one, 2x18650 with M-bezel.

I wonder, what advantages do you get with it versus stock C bezel? More throw?
Also, are there any LED drop-ins for the M bezel?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see anything wrong with that.
Better than the placement that the switch for the mag. With SF clones, you can always find the switch. Albeit you do have to shift you grip substantially.

To each his own. I find the tailswitch on the Pelican 7060 to be the upper limit for light length where a tailswitch isn't unwieldy. And I hardly use the 7060's tailswitch anyway, because the body switch is in a more natural position IMO.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2x18650 Leef and I find it more difficult to use the switch vs. stock 9P because you have to shift your grip. It's just not possible to quickly turn it off or on.

However, moving the switch anywhere else would make the design more difficult, how do you change the TCs, and so on... I don't have any idea how to change the Mag switch but with SF and clones switches, just remove the TC. Easy. Well worth it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
It will work fine, and runtime should be pretty massive, The "SuperBright R2" drop-in sold on DX for like $11 with a ~3.7-18V (IIRC)/290 lumen rating should work perfectly for this setup. Runtime should be 6 hours of solid regulated output at ~200 torch lumens, give or take. Alternatively you could use an R2 3.7-13V drop-in from LumensFactory, in my experience, they have a better color temperature (less blue) and tighter focus. The resulting runtime should be about the same.

For extreme runtimes, IMO, you'll be better off compromising on a lower output setting. There are numerous 1x18650 powered lights with 6-10 hours runtime at a very useful ~60 lumen lower output mode.

Eric

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is such an assume light!:twothumbs I so wish I could get one! Though I originally wanted it with and LED, the only thing better would be it with the 22 Watt axial bulb Bi-Pin socket drop in. I'm ready for 650 lumens:devil:!