Best Running Light - my thoughts

Tremendo

Enlightened
I go running at night maybe twice a week. Sometimes it's dark when I start, sometimes it gets dark during my run. I'm often 1 hour or more in the dark, very dark in trails. I've tried my P2D P100, JetBeam, Firefly3 (used to be my favorite runnning light), other Fenix lights, Rexlight, etc.

My Nitecore Defender Infinity is my EDC and also my goto running light. I got it almost 1 year ago. I like using Lithium AA's for brightness and runtime, but they do die fast, so I keep an extra in my pocket or pack for my late night runs (they're lightweight AA's). It's got a great feeling tactical switch for when it's not too dark yet. Adjustable levels so I can set a med or med/high level when I don't want full on, as sometimes it's too bright. When the light shines on the trail a few feet ahead of me, if it's on high I often lose sight for a couple seconds. I don't need it that bright normally either. And even on high, it doesn't seem to get too hot in my hands. My Firefly3 used to heat my hand up too much.

The best hand strap for me is the new one that comes with the new Canon digital cameras, as it's adjustable and has a good feel (Canon WS-DC2). I just bought 3 from Canon for like $6 each, plus shipping, and they are on my favorite 2 running lights now.

Just thought I'd share this, in case anyone's interested.

Last edited:

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I'm also a night time runner, and favor the combination of a headlamp and handheld. When running near home on the road, I don't need much light, and prefer to keep as much night vision as I can, so there I usually wear the Petzl eLite. On trails, I'm using an Eos modded with Seoul + reflector. This is ok, but I could somtimes use more light, and would prefer less weight. (I run eneloops; lithium AA's would be an improvement.)

As for the handheld, these days it's a NiteCore D10 with an Eneloop. I keep it on a medium setting for trails. Trail or road I bump it to high when encountering hazardous terrain or getting creeped out by a strange sound.

Still looking for the perfect headlamp. But the D10 is working well for me.

As for the Extreme--isn't that a CR123 light, not AA? Was there an earlier AA version?

Jack

Tremendo

Enlightened
Sorry guys, I meant Defender Infinity. I got the name from another thread, just got in from running and wasn't thinking clearly ;). My signature says the right one also.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys, I meant Defender Infinity. I got the name from another thread, just got in from running and wasn't thinking clearly ;). My signature says the right one also.

Yes, running can addle the brain, or at least I know it can mine! While I really like my D10, I may also look into the NDI. I also forgot to mention that the FF3 was the first handheld that I really enjoyed running with. I used an RCR123 in it. Alas, it fell off (or may have been swiped off) my bike when I wasn't looking. I really miss that light.

Jack

SnWnMe

Enlightened
I run at dawn most of the time. For that I use a Novatac clipped to my ballcap. My old E1L also worked real well for this kind of mounting. The Novatac has the added bonus of a safety strobe when on the street.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
better rethink Your "best" statement by giving others the idea of lithiums :(
Only thing You do is add cost and uselessly enlarge pollution.

Any "precharged"-type Ni-Mh is better for regular flashlight use
if runtime at max (of about 1 hour with 1 AA lights) is not long enough, a 2AA ligh is as good to grab as a single AA, maybe even better with larger hands.
Also the much better option is an 18650 light.

Headlamps are also good, but they offer no shadows.
If one runs on flat, no problem. If one runs trail, even knee-high rocks seem to be flat parts on the trail (I recently hit one and made a nice crash. Headlamp was on lower level + no shadows. From then I added using the handheld light --> much improvement)
Outside the woods no light at all is often better

The Sun

Enlightened
i gotta go with my fellow southeast Texan...NDI

also, the ITP C9 has been a surprisingly usefull little light lately. its a CR/RCR light but its been running pretty well. i didn't think it would be great but it has some throw to it, as well a a user friendly UI. just thought i'd mention, i've been playin with it recently for about a week.

Tremendo

Enlightened
Where I live we have about 90 miles of "trails", which are paved little trails throughout the subdivision. Ideal for running, if you are OK with pavement. No shadows, etc.

I used to use the FF3 with an RCR123, and an extra RCR123 with me as well. That's my #2 light, my backup, and also gets used when we do late night bike rides (I have 3 bike mounts for lights). My NDI seems to be happiest and the curcuit works best with Lithium Primaries. Wouldn't make sense to use it if this statement was true: "Only thing You do is add cost and uselessly enlarge pollution."