Quest for purple 3C Mag

Nubo

Enlightened
Is there such an animal? A friend wants a 3C Mag, and I've bought the Malkoff dropin for one. She also is REALLY into purple. I've searched and can't find a purple 3C. Although I've found purple 2D, 3D, 2C, 2AA, and solitaires.

If anyone has a source for purple 3C Mag, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I might have seen one or two around here in personal collections.

You can also strip the anodizing off of a Maglite and have someone re-anodize, paint it, or coat it.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nubo, you must be reading my mind. I have been searching for a purple 3C or 4C myself. But I don't know if they were ever offered. I have an active search on E-Bay going and hope to find one by next summer. I plan on building a Mag 64430 running on 3x26700 emoli's.

GotLight

Newly Enlightened
I have a Mag 3 C cell, mine is Green, Came in a gift pack style with a 2xD & a 2xAAA models, all 3 were my favorite color Green. these were purchaced 12 to 15 years ago, I forget where....

Haven't seen any other 3 cell "C" size for quite some time, this particular light ( 3xC ) has a great balance and feel.

Definatly need and upgrade to compare with the output of other current flashlights.:thumbsup:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm, anybody try contacting maglite for their response?
:shrug:
http://www.maglite.com/feedback.asp (contact info)

IIRC someone posted that Maglite would only do non-standard colors in lots of 10,000 at the request of the buyer.I can't confirm this but if it is true that would put the decision in the hands of a major distributer or retailer.I'm always surprised that the C-cells aren't more popular especially with the introduction of the Magled modules.I suppose the average consumer doesn't think much about it but the C-cells are better than the D-cells IMO.
I think I will use your link to express my interest,maybe if 9,999 others will too we might see something.

Last edited:

toolpig1

Enlightened
A few years ago, Target had the 3C Mags on clearance for about $9 each. I grabbed a few black, one blue, and one green. I've never seen that light in purple, does anyone know if it even exists? The 3C is perhaps my favorite size Mag, and makes a great light with a drop-in.

Speaking of limited runs, I have a minimag that is genuine gold plated, factory original, and came in a fancy presentation box. Has anyone else ever seen one of these? Sorry to digress, good luck with the purple.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
found a 2C in purple.

You might consider buying the purple 2C and the black 3C and putting the purple head on the black 3C body.

Also, keep in mind that when using the Malkoff dropin it must be a newer Maglite. The Light Must Have a "C" as the First Character of the Serial Number for a Proper Fit. If you find an old purple one it may not have the C. Worth checking.

Still looking!

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
googling uncovers several available 2D and 3D in purple which I wasn't aware of (and the usual AA and AAA in purple too)
for under $17

am guessing 3C is a less popular size -
but the quest continues..................
let's see who is first to find a source :grin2:

Superdave

Enlightened
Having one re-anodized shouldn't cost that much..

Maybe powdercoating would be a good option, just make sure they layer it really thin where the head threads on. I bet you could get that done for about $25 or so.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Having one re-anodized shouldn't cost that much.

Contact a local anodizing shop.

I wanted a red 2C so I called and asked about getting a sample done. Got my red 2C and one done in hardcoat for free. Later, when I went back with a small quantity, it was no more than $5 per light. I think the 6C's and D were a little more, maybe $10. You may have to wait for someone else to have a run done in purple so yours can be thrown in with it.

It probably won't turn out like Mags' finish, a little duller.

Here's a pic for motivation. The two on the left are stock colors, the difference between the blue and purple don't show up well.

Last edited:

Nubo

Enlightened
Thanks everybody. I actually got a quick reply from Mag, and they let me know that they haven't made any 3C in purple. They actually took the time to point me to Zbattery in case I wanted a 2C or D purple.

I decided to go ahead with the 2C/3C hybrid, a 3C with black tube, purple head and tailcap. I've been assured by someone with good taste that this will look "classy".

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I've got a handful of purple 2c's, I collect colored c'mags but I've yet to get a colored 3c. I believe there is a sub-c or 2/3c option that'll let you put three cells into a 2c light. That'd satisfy your 3 cell dropin project requirements. I love the form of 2c lights, they fit in a pocket, fit in anyone's hand and are nearly perfect size imo. Just another option thrown out there ;) Good luck on your quest

g