novatac tail cap will not budge

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
I have a newer 3xxxx 120p. the light is fantastic, no performance or quality issues out of the box.

i got another tail cap that matches the ha3 of the tube and the head better than the stock button.

the button went on fine, but now it will not budge. in order to get to thd battery, i have to remove the whole tube.

i tried wrapping the tail to protect the finish, and gently used a clamp to try and unscrew the tail with no luck.

any thoughts on why the cap is stuck, and more importantly, how to remove it?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I encountered this all the time with my 120P also. The only advice I can give is to make sure you apply plenty of lube ( I use NyoGel ) to both the threads AND o-rings prior to reassembly. Something about this light I'm not sure what it is, but pocketing it really causes lint (??) to accumulate under the lip of the tailcap, more so than other lights I've carried. Just use some real elbow grease to loosen it, and make sure it's lubed well constantly.

The Sun

Enlightened
the body of mine wouldn't budge. i put mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes, wrapped a towel around both ends, and bobs yer uncle. lube, replace, enjoy.

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the great suggestions!

i will try the strap wrenches this weekend- been meaning to get some for a while, this gives me a good excuse!

i thought about the freezer trick, too... if i need extra oomph, i'll try that, also.

got to love cpf, i knew someone would have a similar experience and the answer.

i will post my success story once i get the bugger off.

thanks again, friends!

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
Woo-hoo!

Picked up cheap a pairr of strap wrenches at Lowes for $18 USD, and off came the stubborn cap.

Thanks again to all!

gorn

Enlightened
Mine has the same problem. It can be real hard to unscrew. I am thinking that it is caused by pressure buildup in the tube from the battery. I don't keep mine in a pocket so I know with mine it isn't pocket lint.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the latest ones but all the ones I do have come off easy enough. I do prelube everything with a needle PTFC (teflon) oiler I got at Radio Shack. Glad it worked out with the strap wrenches.

Latest posts