Flashlight (not batteries) break-in period ?

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
Just curious if anyone else performs a break-in period for new flashlights. I thought about posting this in general, but I believe is would apply more to flashlights that have solid state devices in them - i.e. led-based ones.

For me, I usually:

1) let the lights run at their minimum brightness for a minimum of 1 battery discharge cycle and monitor the temperature occasionally while it is running.

2) let the light run at the maximum setting for 1 discharge cycle and watch the temperature as well.

3) if it has a strobe or SOS, let that mode for for at least a hour or so.

4) If it's water resistant or waterproof, I test it. I don't want to test it when I need it. I usually just drop it in the sink and look for any signs of water penetration.

I figure that if the electronics are going to die, they will do so within the 1st couple of "light-hours" of use. Going through discharge cycles allows me to monitor how the light reacts with low-battery condition so that I will recognize it (if it has such a feature) when it occurs.

Anyone else do anything special when they 1st get a new flashlight?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
No, but I will certainly spend much time checking out its operation. It's probably a good idea to really road test it like you do to expose those problems early.

Geoff

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do this too. Generally I'll run one set of batteries flat at maximum brightness (if the light is getting too hot, I do it using a desk fan to cool the light down). I'll watch for tint and brightness changes by comparing to another light before, and after the test.

I also think it's a good idea to dunk-test any waterproof/water resistant lights and cycle any switches several times.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
I do the same, but i also include a runtime/regulation test and then make a note of it. I do this because not all LED's are created equal. Some are more efficient that others. Runtime/regulation tests can also vary due to the type of battery you are using and also when the battery was manufactured, as this will lose capacity over time. I also conduct tests outside in the cold as the cold reduces runtimes also. If i'm performing these tests in the summer, i will use a gel icepack to simulate the cold. I like to know how well my torches perform before i take them out on a tour etc.