Fenix L1Tv2: Advantages of different battery types?

snakyjake

Enlightened
What are the advantages/disadvantages/differences of each supported battery types for the Fenix L1Tv2? Exclude the 3.7v+ rechargeable lithium-ion; only include alkaline, NiMH, lithium.

I ask the question because I became confused on battery voltage, amp hours, and mostly the light's regulating circuitry. I'm used to basic flashlights where battery voltage means how much light I'll see (1.2v versus 1.5v makes a big difference in my old incandescent lights).

It seems that all supported battery types produce near identical output lumens (ref), and the only difference is runtime. If I assume correctly, then for output, any battery will result the aproximate same lumens. This surprises me.

Amp hours also became confusing because it seems at 25 mA, alkaline and lithium are fairly close in total aH. Suprises me again.

I started a simple table below of the differences:

Alkaline
Volts: 1.5v
mAh : 1700 - 3000 mAh

NiMH
Volts: 1.2v
mAh : 1300 -2900 mAh

Lithium
Volts: 1.5v
mAh : ? mAh

So if all my assumptions are correct, I can choose any battery for the output; the really the only differences are amp hours and cost. From my view, 1.2v NiMH is the clear winner.

Thanks,

Jake

Marduke

Flashaholic
lithium performs the best, alkaline the worst. Best bang for buck is NiMH.

Under heavy use, you the voltage of alkaline cells drops like a rock, and you don't get much actual life out of them. Lithium and NiMH maintain a higher voltage under load.

I highly suggest reading through the Welcome Mat.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is chevrofreak's runtime graphs for the L2T v2.0. Selfbuilt has L2T and L1T graphs in one of the subsequent posts so scroll down.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177886

mAh does not tell the whole story.

Eneloop 2000mAh.
EneloopAA2000atVariousRates2.jpg

Energizer 2300mAh.
EnergizerAA2300variousRates2.jpg

You can see the Energizer cannot maintain 0.5A at 1.2V while the Eneloop with 300 mAh less capacity have no problem producing 2A (up to 10A if you only need to maintain 1V). Alkalines are worse than the Energizer especially if they are partially used.

Last edited: