which LED Upgrade for 2D Mag?

dob

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,
I have a 2D Mag found in my garage and I´d like to get it an upgrade to LED, but I don´t know whick one is the beste.
I normally use a Fenix P3D Premium oder Surefire L2 and these are much brighter than this old krypton bulb Mag 2D.
What different upgrade kits are available for a 2D Mag (I also found a 3D Mag but I would prefer to upgrade the 2D) and which one is the brightest?

Is there a 5W LED Upgrade available? Do I have to use a conversion to put other cells in it than the normal D-cells?

Does anyone have a few comparsion pics betwenn Mag 2D Standard and with the upgrade (maybe also comparsions betwenn upgraded Mag and a Fenix or Surefire?) ?

Should be an upgrade kit that can be ordered online, paid via Paypal and international shipping to Germany ;)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Check the thread that Culhain linked to. It contains most of the Maglite drop-ins and simpler mods.

Ignore the Wattage rating on lights. A current gen LED powered at the same wattage as a last gen LED will have twice or more output. Also the wattage rating is not consistant. "3W" could mean the power to the LED, the LED's rated max current, or a random number.

The drop-ins should use normal batteries unless otherwise stated.

dob

Newly Enlightened
cool, thanks.
I really like the ROP Mod, but what about the runtime with a 2D or 3D Mag with Eneloop AA accus (6xAA in 2D or 9xAA in 3D)?
How long do I have light with a ROP-Mod?
Only minutes or even hours?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC the ROP High mod runs 20 minutes to 30 minutes depending on what AA batteries you use(Eneloops should give around 20 minutes). With Li-ion D batteries, it should be close to 1 hour runtime. The low bulb should give good output at a longe runtime. You can also use the 5 Cell bulb. Less output but more runtime.

dob

Newly Enlightened
IIRC the ROP High mod runs 20 minutes to 30 minutes depending on what AA batteries you use(Eneloops should give around 20 minutes). With Li-ion D batteries, it should be close to 1 hour runtime. The low bulb should give good output at a longe runtime. You can also use the 5 Cell bulb. Less output but more runtime.

hmm, 20-30min. is too less, I´d like to take the light with me on Geocaching Nightcache Tour, it should give light for min. 1-2 hours.

Then I think I have to do another upgrade.

Which upgrade gets much light (over 200 lumens would be great) for approx. 2 hours? I don´t want to take an own backpack full with batteries on tour ;)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Malkoff drop-ins should be great for this. Either the 1 Seoul P4 drop-in or the 3 Cree XR-E drop-in.

I'm not sure about shipping though.

dob

Newly Enlightened
so, I decided to mod the first Mag (the 2D) as a ROP-Mod, ordered the Bulb and lens, but I didn´t find the metal reflector.
The shop-links in the old Thread are dead :(
Has anyone a direkt link to an online shop with the metal reflector I need?

jet

Newly Enlightened
I have the Mag LED upgrade, the Terralux, and a single Malkoff in different lights. Although the Malkoff is the best engineered and brightest, I find that the others at half the money are the best value ($20-25 for the Mag & Terralux vs $57 for the Malkoff).

dob

Newly Enlightened
I have a TerraLux in one of the Mag´s, but I am not satisfied with it, the light is pretty weak, no good focussing, the stock bulb is better.
I don´t know which model it is, it has "MaxStar 2" engraved. I ordered this good 1 or 2 years ago.

That´s why I am not believing that LED Upgrades with several LEDs should get a good light, but when I look at the beamshots for some LED Upgrades with more than 1 LED I think I am wrong ;)
Maybe I´ll order an Malkoff LED Upgrade in December for the 2nd Mag here, but I have to wait till December, then the customs-limit gets also an upgrade, from 22€ to 150€, and so I won´t have to pay taxes ;)

Kirodragon

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but that 22€ to 150€ raise doesn't affect you (or me).
You will still have to pax taxes and handling fee! :broke:

The increase is only implemented to lower the workload on customs.
Duty is only charged if it's at least 10€ and since most duty classes are 6% or lower,
the value of your shipment needs to be more than 150€ to make the duty break that 10€ limit.

So, unfortunately, the raise only helps customs in that they don't need to classify all those low value shipments.
Of course that may result in shipments going through customs faster, so there might be a little bit of a silver lining there.