Fenix L2T for dad?

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping this will be my first post here. I'd submitted one a few days ago, but it never made it to the forum. I've always loved flashlights, and have too many of them. But they're all poor-quality store-bought models with disappointing output (except for my Maglights that are good quality with okay output). So I've decided to start replacing/augmenting them. I know essentially nothing about flashlights. But I found this terrific forum earlier this week and have been trying to learn all I can.

My first order of business is actually to find a good flashlight for my father. He's retired and his eyesight isn't what it used to be. He's a really early riser who goes walking every morning at about 3AM - regardless of weather conditions. What I'm looking for is:
0) Purchasing location: I'm in the U.S., but will probably be buying online.

1) Price Range: I'm thinking $40-60 for two reasons. First, my father really appreciates better quality (buys Snap-on tools, thinks Craftsman is okay). Second, he has an annoying habit of not using the better quality stuff (usually uses the Craftsman tools instead of the Snap-on to actually fix stuff). He already has an Inova X5 he's proud of, but doesn't use. :shrug: I want this light to be used.

2) Format: I want a flashlight.

3) Length: Probably the 4-9 inch range so it'll be compact, but not too small to comfortably hold. (Holster carry)

4) Width: No huge preference here, but I'm leaning toward a long narrow light.

5) Batteries: Easily available standard AAs. It looks like a 2AA light might be best. One other reason my father may not use his X5 is the CR123 batteries it requires. I'm thinking about getting him a charger and some Eneloops.

6) Light Needed: He walks around a generally paved area (15-20 lumens) mostly, but may also walk unpaved trails (40 lumens). He'll also look for things in dark closets/storage areas.

7) Throw vs Flood: I'm assuming a shorter throw, more floody light is best, but I'll have to leave this to the experts.

8) Runtime: 240+ min. preferred

9) Durability: "Very Important." It'll be used every single day and my father appreciates quality.

8) Switch Type: Slider or Clickie is okay, Just as long as there's a simple, intuitive way to turn it on/off.

9) Switch Location: Doesn't matter, except that it'd be best if it were hard/impossible to accidentally turn on.

10) Operational Modes: Something uncomplicated. So a simple on-off or 2 light levels. My dad's very capable (can fix anything), but he hates gimmicky/overly complex stuff.

11) Body Material: I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: It'll be rained on. So it needs to be water and corrosion resistant. It also needs to have good, smooth threading, quality anodizing and a decent PWM if it has a long runtime mode. A lanyard and perhaps a holster. It'd be great if the light was made in the America. But I don't hold much hope for one given the budget/requirements.
After reading a lot of threads here this week, I'm leaning toward a Fenix L2T. Other lights I've been considering are the E20 (no long runtime mode, maybe too bright for night-adjusted eyes?), the L2P (cheap, great runtime, but maybe not bright/white enough in high mode?), and the Nitecore D20 (outstanding quality, though maybe too good, plus the UI looks to be a little much?). But I'd love to hear thoughts of those much more knowledgeable than I.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1/2T seems to fit well except the low may be a little bright.

How bout a headlight? Most people who haven't used them really like them after a little use. That's a whole new area for you to explore. The Zebra lights are great tools.

If he appreciates quality and prefers made in USA, you might spend the extra and go to Surefire. I guarantee he'll smile the first time he handles an E2E or it's led cousins.

And remember, for most realworld uses, extreme brightness or throw is a waste.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2T V2.0 should be a great choice. Simple to use, forward clickie, 2 AA, and good size. It could use more knurling though.

If you buy from 4sevens/Fenix Store, there is a 8% off coupon "CPF8" that you can use.

:welcome:

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
I prefer 1AA, so L1T (just under 4") for me. (And CostCo has a Leatherman combo deal with a L1T. See Good Deals in Market Place.)

But from your description of your / your dad's preferences the L2T sounds perfect. One thing to think about is strength and dexterity to use the clickie switch. I know my folks can't operate that sort of switch anymore, (mostly arthritis,) and would need a slide switch or a gentle twisty. Since you mention your dad still uses tools, this probably doesn't apply.

Happy shopping!

nbp

Flashaholic
I got my dad an L2T a few months ago after he expressed interest in my Fenix lights, and he really likes it-uses it daily for walking the dogs. I thing your dad would be very happy with that light. Great buy! :poke:

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone! It's encouraging to hear my choice doesn't sound abysmal. Maybe I'm beginning to understand this whole "flashlight" thing...:eek:

The L1/2T seems to fit well except the low may be a little bright.

How bout a headlight? Most people who haven't used them really like them after a little use. That's a whole new area for you to explore. The Zebra lights are great tools.

If he appreciates quality and prefers made in USA, you might spend the extra and go to Surefire. I guarantee he'll smile the first time he handles an E2E or it's led cousins.

And remember, for most realworld uses, extreme brightness or throw is a waste.
I'm a little concerned about the low as well. But my dad does seem to prefer brighter lights.

I actually tried the headlight thing first about a year ago. He never wears it. But he does like flashlights. I'd love to get him something like a Surefire. But I'm concerned that if I did, he'd leave it in the box and use one of his Walmart LED lights.

I prefer 1AA, so L1T (just under 4") for me. (And CostCo has a Leatherman combo deal with a L1T. See Good Deals in Market Place.)

But from your description of your / your dad's preferences the L2T sounds perfect. One thing to think about is strength and dexterity to use the clickie switch. I know my folks can't operate that sort of switch anymore, (mostly arthritis,) and would need a slide switch or a gentle twisty. Since you mention your dad still uses tools, this probably doesn't apply.

Happy shopping!

Yeah, he can handle it okay (he still climbs trees to trim branches). His current Walmart special has a clickie on the back.

You and others have spoken highly of single AA lights. Are they that much more ergonomic than 2AA lights?

nbp

Flashaholic
You and others have spoken highly of single AA lights. Are they that much more ergonomic than 2AA lights?

Potential differences in output aside, that's pretty subjective, and hard to say for someone else.

For example, I like smaller, 1X123 lights, as I EDC and they are very pocketable, and I don't have huge hands that make them difficult to use. For me, the L2T is not a good choice as it's pretty long light IMHO. But as I stated before, my dad likes it for its nice form factor, and as he doesn't pocket the light daily it's okay that it's longer.

So it really comes down to preference I think. Will your dad want to carry his new light around in his pocket and use it alot? Then a 1XAA might be better. Does he have big hands and will he just use it to walk at night? He may prefer an easier to handle 2XAA light.

Hope that helps.....:shrug:

Toaster

Enlightened
I think your father would be happier with a Fenix TK20 over the L2T. The warmer tint and increased throw make it especially more suitable for outdoor use like walking around which if I'm understanding correctly would be it's primary use. The warmer tint having the benefit of better color rendition, increased depth perception, reduced eyestrain, and better effectiveness in poor weather conditions. Despite it's throw it has a fairly large sidespill about the same width as an L2T, just a little dimmer in the spill area. So it's not a laser beam you can't use around the house. And imho it's a lot more comfortable to hold onto which might be an issue for your father's intended use. I find the EDC type 2AA lights to be too thin too hold comfortably in an over or underhanded grip for long periods of time. I usually must switch to a cigar style grip after a long period to avoid hand cramping which I find less than ideal. The TK20 is meaty enough to avoid that issue.

This thread has plenty of beamshot and size comparisons with various lights which you might find useful in making a decision either way. Fenix has fixed the slipping grip issue on the TK20 now so there's no quality issues left with this light that I'm aware of.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
... You and others have spoken highly of single AA lights. Are they that much more ergonomic than 2AA lights?

'tis personal preference.

Objectively, 2AA will give a brighter high and / or more runtime with the same light output and more to grip. 1AA will be more compact and so will be easier to stow.

For my normal uses I find 1AA bright enough almost all the time, more convenient to store and carry, and easy enough to grip. (Actually, I use a E01 1AAA 90+% of the time. It sits unintrusively in my pocket and is always at hand.) Subjectively, even irrationally, I find the L2T too skinny for its length. If I'm going to stash that length, I'd like it to be a little fatter too. (Judging by the pictures, I'd probably like the TK20's size for a bigger light. But mostly I'll stick to my E01 plus an L1D or L1T.)

You seemed to have decided on the L2T and I don't want to talk you out of it. It's a great light and seems to be recommended more than the L1T around here. You wouldn't go wrong with it. But if you are really 50/50 between the L2T & L1T (and have a CostCo store with stock,) there is a great special on the L1T right now:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=185713

But honestly, go with what you think your Dad would like best. All of these options are good lights. (I'm only trying make sure you know of all the options.) Good luck.

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
Potential differences in output aside, that's pretty subjective, and hard to say for someone else.

For example, I like smaller, 1X123 lights, as I EDC and they are very pocketable, and I don't have huge hands that make them difficult to use. For me, the L2T is not a good choice as it's pretty long light IMHO. But as I stated before, my dad likes it for its nice form factor, and as he doesn't pocket the light daily it's okay that it's longer.

So it really comes down to preference I think. Will your dad want to carry his new light around in his pocket and use it alot? Then a 1XAA might be better. Does he have big hands and will he just use it to walk at night? He may prefer an easier to handle 2XAA light.

Hope that helps.....:shrug:

I guess the problem is the single AA lights seem a bit too short while the 2AA lights seem a bit too long. Between the two, I'm leaning toward a 2AA design because these lights look like they've got more to grip, have brighter high modes and longer low mode run times. To answer you questions, my dad doesn't have big hands, he will primarily use it to walk around at night, and he will will use it every night. He'd probably like it if he could put the light in his pocket (he likes to wear baggy pants).

I think your father would be happier with a Fenix TK20 over the L2T. The warmer tint and increased throw make it especially more suitable for outdoor use like walking around which if I'm understanding correctly would be it's primary use. The warmer tint having the benefit of better color rendition, increased depth perception, reduced eyestrain, and better effectiveness in poor weather conditions. Despite it's throw it has a fairly large sidespill about the same width as an L2T, just a little dimmer in the spill area. So it's not a laser beam you can't use around the house. And imho it's a lot more comfortable to hold onto which might be an issue for your father's intended use. I find the EDC type 2AA lights to be too thin too hold comfortably in an over or underhanded grip for long periods of time. I usually must switch to a cigar style grip after a long period to avoid hand cramping which I find less than ideal. The TK20 is meaty enough to avoid that issue.

This thread has plenty of beamshot and size comparisons with various lights which you might find useful in making a decision either way. Fenix has fixed the slipping grip issue on the TK20 now so there's no quality issues left with this light that I'm aware of.

That's a very nice light. But after reading the thread, I don't think it's going to be the best choice for him. While it's got great spill, it's really more of a long-distance thrower and I expect my dad to spend most of the time lighting up the area in a 10ft. area in front of him. As a result, I'm inclined to think the 45 lumen low mode would be too bright for night-adjusted eyes (as compared to the 16 lumen low of the L2T). I think it's also going to be too large for an EDC light. What I do really like about it are the large grip in available "can't miss it" yellow, the previously mentioned great spill, and the significant body heat-sinking that allow it to run continuously in turbo mode. In fact it sounds like it be a perfect light for when I go camping.
'tis personal preference.

Objectively, 2AA will give a brighter high and / or more runtime with the same light output and more to grip. 1AA will be more compact and so will be easier to stow.

For my normal uses I find 1AA bright enough almost all the time, more convenient to store and carry, and easy enough to grip. (Actually, I use a E01 1AAA 90+% of the time. It sits unintrusively in my pocket and is always at hand.) Subjectively, even irrationally, I find the L2T too skinny for its length. If I'm going to stash that length, I'd like it to be a little fatter too. (Judging by the pictures, I'd probably like the TK20's size for a bigger light. But mostly I'll stick to my E01 plus an L1D or L1T.)

You seemed to have decided on the L2T and I don't want to talk you out of it. It's a great light and seems to be recommended more than the L1T around here. You wouldn't go wrong with it. But if you are really 50/50 between the L2T & L1T (and have a CostCo store with stock,) there is a great special on the L1T right now:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=185713

But honestly, go with what you think your Dad would like best. All of these options are good lights. (I'm only trying make sure you know of all the options.) Good luck.
Thanks. The L2T seems to be the one-to-beat for it's simplicity, durability, output, run time and price. But I wouldn't say I've entirely committed to it yet as I do have the very same concern you mentioned. Though I mentioned a preference for "long and narrow", I've begun to wonder if the L2T could be too long and skinny. That said, the L1T looks like it could be too short and skinny, which I think might be worse. Though my dad's quite spry for his age, his reflexes/coordination aren't what they were and won't improve as time goes on. So I don't want to get him something too small, though I think he would like the pocketability.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I am getting an L2T for my father in law for Christmas.

I made my choice because it uses standard batteries (he wouldn't want to buy CR123's) and functions very simply (only 2 modes and none of the distracting strobe or SOS).

When he came to visit earlier this year, I noticed he kept a very cheap plastic bodied small flashlight by the bed. I knew then and there exactly what he needed for Christmas.

And for someone who has never had a high performance LED flashlight, it will certainly impress.

If you are a truly wonderful child, you'll get your dad a set of high quality rechargeable batteries so he will never have to feed it alkalines.

JakeyCakez

Newly Enlightened
you could buy CR123's online for MUCH cheaper than at your local store (I've seen them as low as 94 cents for orders of 21-50)

nars42

Newly Enlightened
The L1/2T would probably be fine. I have the 1T and the 16 lumen low, though a little blinding if you were to turn it on right after getting out of bed, is good for navigating a dark house. Any light with a lower low would have a slightly more complicated interface like the new Fenix's (like the LD10/20). Though it really isn't that complicated, I mean, you tighten the head and click the switch for maximum and loosen it and click the switch for low (9 lumen). It's basically the same interface as the T series. Also the LD20 seems to have more grip.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've become completely spoiled by 'half the size of 2AA lights' format and I suspect that the majority of others feel the same way. For the non flashaholic almost every popular 1AA light here will still produce a wow factor for them. Remember that their point of reference is probably a 2AA mini Mag. The main differences in them will be brightness and runtime and both of those factors are the deciding factors that influence each other.

Another killer for non flashaholics are more complicated interfaces, which is another reason that the L1T v2 is a really good choice. I gave one to my GF's mother for Xmas last year and she really likes it. The fact that she can use it says volumes for its simplicity.

BTW, there is one for sale now in BST - I believe that it's from the Costco combo pack and it's less than $30. If you wanted the combo, I'd be happy to pick one up for you. My Costco still had them 2 days ago. They're $50 plus tax and shipping would be $3-8, depending on whether you wanted 1st class, Priority and/or insurance.

The only downside is the holster. It's a combo that holds both the Blast and light. The part that holds the light is basically a loop attached to the holster for the multi tool.

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
:paypal:

I want to thank everyone for the great advice. I've continued to read, read, read the posts on this terrific forum and finally made my decision. Following the age-old CPF mantra, "when in doubt, buy both," I've placed my order with 4Sevens for the L2T (bought the diffuser too) and an LD01 Stainless for my dad to give him some versatility. I also ordered E01s for my mom and wife (who appreciate maximum simplicity) and a second Stainless LD01 as an Xmas present for me. Then I went over to Battery Junction and bought a few packs of AA and AAA Eneloops, and a 48 LED UFO light for the family tent. Plus, I bought a TwoFish Lockblock for my bike in anticipation of my next purchase... :grin2:

Props to the vendors and this forum for the discount codes. You've helped a non-flashaholic drop $200+ on flashlights and still want more. :shakehead

Say, that McGizmo Sundrop 3S sure looks nice... God help me... :faint:

nars42

Newly Enlightened
By the way, when you get them it wouldn't hurt to lubricate the threads since they tend to arrive a little dry. I use Phil's bicycle grease myself since I have it laying around but I know people here used some kind of fancy stuff...

Congrats on your purchases :).