Guaranteed Tint??

Robertesq1

Newly Enlightened
Can someone explain what this means and why HDS charges $50.00 more for a guarenteed tint.

I did a search and came up empty.

Thanks, Robert

matt0

Enlightened
I'm guessing if you pay the extra fee then you can specify what tint (warm/white/cool) you would like.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think it means that the light is guaranteed to have a nice white tint.

HDS? Do you mean Novatac or RA?

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
From HDS's site:

"The best white colors lie along the Planckian black body radiator line in the range of 5000°K to 7000°K with typical noon daylight being in the range of 5500°K to 6500°K. Incandescent lights generally lie in the range of 2800°K to 3200°K and have a distinct orange cast when compared to daylight. The definition of white is the equal energy point that lies at x=0.333 y=0.333 on the CIE-1931 Chromaticity Diagram and corresponds to 5454°K.

The guaranteed tint LEDs have a typical correlated color temperature in the range of 5700°K to 6300°K and lie close to the Planckian black body radiator line."

Basically, buying a GT light guarantees it will have a hand-tested and selected LED that falls within these specifications.

grateful1

Newly Enlightened
I thought it meant that a batch of LED's, from the manufacturer, could have a 'range' of light(as stated). These are tested and the ones in the desired range are placed in the light you ordered. At least that's how I read it.

Robertesq1

Newly Enlightened
I think it means that the light is guaranteed to have a nice white tint.

HDS? Do you mean Novatac or RA?

I was referring to the RA clicky that costs $50.00 more for the Guarenteed tint. Just wondering what one received for that $50.00.
The site quote is as follows:

''GT stands for Guaranteed Tint. The color tint of these LEDs will lie close to the Planckian black body radiator line in the range of 0.30 to 0.33 on the x-coordinate on the CIE-1931 Chromaticity Diagram."

I do not have a clue as to what this actually means...Sounds like the tint is closer to daylight or incandescent light is that right??

Last edited:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the GT feature on my HDS and I wish other high end makers would offer this option, particularly McGizmo. The GT feature is one of my favorite features in my HDS. Less than ideal tint has kept me from purchasing other lights is the reason I sold my LS20 and haven't bought another. I'd have gladly paid $50 extra for a light that wasn't too blue for my tastes.

I will buy the RaClicky with GT and if it wasn't offered, I'd probably pass on the light altogether.

GT does NOT equal "close to incandescent". It does, however, render colors across the full spectrum closer to sunlight than any other flashlight I've used. A McGizmo SunDrop is much closer to incan color temp than GT is. GT is my standard reference for "white" but it is NOT what I would call "warm" in the way an incan is.

Hope this helps! :shrug:

streetmaster

Enlightened
I love the GT feature on my HDS and I wish other high end makers would offer this option, particularly McGizmo. The GT feature is one of my favorite features in my HDS. Less than ideal tint has kept me from purchasing other lights is the reason I sold my LS20 and haven't bought another. I'd have gladly paid $50 extra for a light that wasn't too blue for my tastes.

I will buy the RaClicky with GT and if it wasn't offered, I'd probably pass on the light altogether.

GT does NOT equal "close to incandescent". It does, however, render colors across the full spectrum closer to sunlight than any other flashlight I've used. A McGizmo SunDrop is much closer to incan color temp than GT is. GT is my standard reference for "white" but it is NOT what I would call "warm" in the way an incan is.

Hope this helps! :shrug:
Makes me want to buy a Ra Clicky GT so bad. :drool: I truly hate blue tint in a LED light. I may have a sale on the MarketPlace just so I can buy one.

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
I was referring to the RA clicky that costs $50.00 more for the Guarenteed tint. Just wondering what one received for that $50.00.
The site quote is as follows:

''GT stands for Guaranteed Tint. The color tint of these LEDs will lie close to the Planckian black body radiator line in the range of 0.30 to 0.33 on the x-coordinate on the CIE-1931 Chromaticity Diagram."

I do not have a clue as to what this actually means...Sounds like the tint is closer to daylight or incandescent light is that right??

You pegged it with daylight. A 0.30 to 0.33 CIE-1931 x-coordinate in the range of 5700°K to 6300°K is pretty close in color to sunlight. To compare, here are whitepoints as defined by CIE-1931:

Indirect Sunlight: 0.3101-x 6774°K
Natural Daylight: 0.3127-x 6504°K
Direct Sunlight: 0.3840-x 4874°K​

The black body temperature of the Sun is about 5800°K. The daylight condition most commonly associated with a clear, blue, cloudless day is around 6000°K.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many HDS/ra flashlights.
I also have several with the GT emitter.
IMHO if you are using a single flashlight alone, it will be very difficult to know that the light you are using is infect a GT light.
For one thing the EYE adjusts to the light given from any given emitter within moments.
When comparing and or using more than one light at a time the difference becomes more noticeable.

imho unless you are VERY fussy about tint the stock tints are very good from HDS since they have all been hand selected. Some are SLIGHTLY better than others and those sell for a premium.

Also keep in mind that generally todays emitters do not even come close to "daylight"
A premium for a HI CRI emitter is justified. the emitters used in the Ra flashlights are NOT HI CRI emitters.
if the quality of color rendering is important to you have a look at McGizmo's Sundrop. It runs circles arouns any of the GT lights in terms of color rendering (which is the goal of a good emitter IMHO)

Every light I have that was made by HDS has had a FINE tint withoput exception.
Worth the extra $50? Especially if it is the only light that you have in the series.

The GT spec is good for comparing more than one light at a time.
(MY OPINION ONLY) NO.
Personally my use involves a single flashlight at a time so having a GT is of little use to me.
YMMV
Yaesumofo

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
GT is worth $50 for the Guarantee that you'll not be entered to play in the LED tint lottery.

"Many will enter, few will win." :ohgeez:

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
GT is worth $50 for the Guarantee that you'll not be entered to play in the LED tint lottery.

"Many will enter, few will win." :ohgeez:

I have enterd and played the lottery many times with Hds products and have never received a bad or ugly tinted emitter.
The fact is that HDS emitters are already pre screened to some degree. As a result of the individual tuning required for these flashlights Bad emitters are kicked before they enter play.
Atleast that is how I see it based upon the lights I have bought including the GT units.
Yaesumofo

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Unless, of course, you buy a light from Henry. :naughty:

Seriously though, has anybody ever reported having received a "bad tint" (whatever that may be) from one of Henry's lights????

Well it's way too subjective... But yes.. I have...

The Osram emitters that the Ra Twisty uses can have a tendency to be very cold in color temperature. The tint has a lot of white, mixed with some lavender/violet.. It does fine by itself, and is totally acceptable for providing light when you need it..

The first Twisty I owned was like that, very lavender, and cold..(85Tr)
Then I got a replacement because the U-wires broke. This replacement had a great tint! (85Tr) It was white, with warmth, just a hint of yellow on the fringe. Ah, the lottery is alive, and it's a Ra light!

Then, I picked up another 85Tr, and it had a crisply white tint, with some lavender mixed in..

So I've seen three Twisties. All of them with the Osram emitter. Two of which were on the cold side of color temp, the other was warmer with some yellow mixed in....

None of them were "bad" tints, but there certainly is fluctuation without GT.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing is that for little more than $50 will get you an led swapped to whatever tint you like with the latest bin by several modders on this site. I upgraded mine with milkyspit who did a terrific job and I ended up with a warm tint that I would not have gotten with the GT model...

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
...has anybody ever reported having received a "bad tint" (whatever that may be) from one of Henry's lights????

My old HDS U60GT has a much nicer tint than my old HDS B42. I can easily tell the difference and they don't need to be turned on side-by-side, pointed at a white wall. The GT just plain makes me happier. The B42 is ok, but too much on the blue side for my preferences. I'd guess it's somewhere in Y0 territory.

I can't speak for the newer models. Perhaps there is less variation in the modern emitters. Perhaps there is more?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've seen three Twisties. All of them with the Osram emitter. Two of which were on the cold side of color temp, the other was warmer with some yellow mixed in....

None of them were "bad" tints, but there certainly is fluctuation without GT.

Perhaps the seemingly great degree of fluctuation is because of the Osram that is only used in the 85's...? The twisty that I just got (100Tw) is by far the whitest light that I own or have ever owned. I mean, does the GT come in anything but a Seoul emitter?

My old HDS U60GT has a much nicer tint than my old HDS B42.

Did these two lights have the same emitters? Or were they different, like the twisty 85 and 100?

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I mean, does the GT come in anything but a Seoul emitter?

Well.. Henry isn't offering any CnGT's, so I suppose not..

SSC is producing emitters within Henry's GT specs. Osram might make emitters that fall within GT specs too, but may not have the power aspects necessary to meet efficiency/output needs of the Ra family.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Can someone explain what this means and why HDS charges $50.00 more for a guarenteed tint.

I did a search and came up empty.

Thanks, Robert
Yeah to me, personally, 50 bucks is too much for this. It's almost like extortion. For only 50 more it'll be an acceptable tint! :shakehead

I think the 50 bucks thing might of been ok years ago when the lottery was so harsh but now it just seems wrong to me.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.