Looking for a new duty (police) flashlight

EKinOR

Newly Enlightened
OK, I've done a search and didn't find an answer, so I'll ask it here.

I'm looking for a new duty (police) flashlight. I currently use a SureFire 9AN as my primary light. I like it, except a few things - runtime, B90 batteries, incandecent bulb.

Here's what I want in a duty light:

- LED
- Variable brightness - 2-200+ lumens
- rechargable Li based batteries
- tail cap switching, preferably click on/momentary like the SureFire U2
- length 7-10"
- diameter < 2"
- run time! At least 3 hours @ 100 lumens
- drop in charger - like the SL-20

Essentially, I want a larger, rechargable, brighter SureFire U2 with a longer run time.

The UA2/UB2 aren't quite there, either.

Ideas?

EKinOR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pointer.

I looked through the posts there and I still didn't find what I was looking for. The Inova T4 comes close, but it doesn't use a tail cap switch. It might work, though.....

Last edited:

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
You've just described a Fenix TK11 w/ an 18650 battery.

Or a Fenix T1 or TK10 with RCR123 batteries. I'm currently using a T1 as a primary light. Even the low setting is pretty bright. For most traffic stops I just use the low setting. Seems to work fine.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Personally I prefer the Inova T4 2008 version. Other lights I would be willing to have but dont fit all your required specifications.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say Jetbeam Military, but it's not regulated on an 18650. Either of the Jet III's would work okay, but you'd have to watch out for switching into programming mode from pressing the button too much.

Maybe the Jetbeam Military would still work good.

EKinOR

Newly Enlightened
You've just described a Fenix TK11 w/ an 18650 battery.

That's close, but not long enough. It's too short to be able to tuck under my arm. I need something at least 7" (180mm) long. It's also missing "drop in" charging.

The Inova T4 has almost everything, except the switch in the wrong place.

Last edited:

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
well have you considered a 2 X 18650 light?

Should get GOBS of run bucking that battery config.
2.5 hrs at least
maybe something with a turbo high

Longer

nearly same diameter or exact same diameter

club-ish

wonder what there is in 2 x 18650 out there with a P60-ish head or maybe 40mm or so.

something ultra stinger like with a smaller head

I carried something like this for a while
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6965

it is a thrower but the isn't any reason that it couldn't be modded with an MC-E for better spill and runtime on low.

Heck I just got a MC-E 5A to see if the color temp is a little more polite.
No need to aggravate people for no reason because even spill hurts on the WC type stuff.

God knows you can get written up for farting in the parade.(we were in front of the horses so the "horse fart" excuse wouldn't fly) :crackup:

I don't see why one of these guys wouldn't put it together for you for cheap if the parts showed up at their door. :naughty:

OBTW
those 2 X 18650 lights fit REALLY nice is a leather ASP holster.

goodluck with your new light :popcorn:

bagman

Enlightened
Is there a pressing reason for wanting a charger cradle rather than swapping out batteries?

I use, and have used, a lot of different duty lights and all but my Tigerlight have used Li-ions that I can carry spares of in my vest inner pockets and just swap them out.

I know you have asked for a dual output light but I much prefer a bright handheld (2 or 3 123A size, LEAF 18mm bodies running Malkoff drop ins or LF EO-9 bulb) and a small light on my vest for paperwork (currently Pentagon MOLLE light) rather than messing about with multiple levels.

I always have more than one torch when out and about, the old adage one is none kicks in when I'm at work in the dark :D

EKinOR

Newly Enlightened
Is there a pressing reason for wanting a charger cradle rather than swapping out batteries?

Yes - it's a hassle to swap batteries. I'm doing that now. I want to be able to keep the light in a charger in the car, pull it out when needed and drop it back in the charger when I'm done.

I use, and have used, a lot of different duty lights and all but my Tigerlight have used Li-ions that I can carry spares of in my vest inner pockets and just swap them out.

I'm doing that now with my 9AN. Don't care for it.

I always have more than one torch when out and about, the old adage one is none kicks in when I'm at work in the dark :D

I also carry multiple lights.

Xak

Enlightened
I have the Inova T4MP. It is fantastic.

You may also want to try the Pelican 7060 or 8060.

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
with a light longer than 6 inches a side switch works better than a tail cap switch. think about how ackward a 2 d mag would be with a tailcap switch. the inova t4 mp fits well in your hand and it fits well under your arm. batteryjunction also sells a spare battery holder that screws to the back of the light and adds 4 or so inches to the light basically making a full size metal comparison to thee new pelican 8060 but with 2 modes and a strobe. just food for your wallet

EKinOR

Newly Enlightened
After researching some more, it looks like a light right between the Pelican 7060 and 8060 would be almost perfect. Take a 7060, add 50% more to the run time, add a low power mode and it'd be exactly what I'm looking for.

Now, they just need to make it! :twothumbs

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Dont go with the 8060. Im sure the light is fine but its old technology for the batteries. Why go back to nickel batteries which dont perform as well and are bad for the environment.

Personally I dont like the tail switch on the Pelican. Its odd holding the light by the rear trying to actuate the switch. The light is too big. Like the other guy said imagine holding a 2 or 3d maglight at the tail, not so great. Other than that the light is a good light, it just wouldnt be my first choice.

gilly

Enlightened
Yes - it's a hassle to swap batteries. I'm doing that now. I want to be able to keep the light in a charger in the car, pull it out when needed and drop it back in the charger when I'm done.

Dropping it back in the charger is not necessarily a good thing. How many guys have you seen who always leave their Magcharger, etc. sitting in the charger all the time? It ruins the battery. I've seen the term "toasted" used here - drying out the electrolytes in the cell. Many of my friends have killed a Nicad cell in under a year doing this.

Good luck with your search!

wjf2000

Newly Enlightened
There are only 3 led lights with dropin chargers that I know of
1. Inova T4
2. Pelican 7060
3. Streamlight stinger LED

Maybe you can try a new nimh battery pack in your 9an, instead of the stock nicad pack. You can probably double the run time with one.

bagman

Enlightened

I'm doing that now with my 9AN. Don't care for it.

I also carry multiple lights.

9AN batteries are a bit big to put in even my stabbie pockets :D