My first MOD!

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
2 D Mag donor body, 123 to D insert, 5W SE, EKL's heat sink, new ucl lens. Works like a charm. Direct drive and bright.

Hmmmmm...I think I have a new hobby...(adiction)..
I think next will be....Pelican M6 with BB750, 5W SE or LD or HD....Will see!

Darn, now I've got to get a light meter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hey, just found out there is a Fry's having a grand opening tomorrow....today(hehe)...maybe I should get a new Fluke 179...temp readings and current...A u t o R a n g e i n g...
Pics:
Beamshot Pic Pic2 pic3 pic4 pic5 pic6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice!

wow, what a way to start a modding career! a 5w!

yes...where the heck are those pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
When I do get the pic's up, NO laughing at my first use of Artic Alumina!!!

You'll see what I mean.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey, one of the newest members cooks up one of the biggest baddest mods. Congrats and nice job!

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks...What do ya think about doing a pelican 6...its metal...it uses 2 123's....Hmmmm.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have a Pelican M6 apart on my bench right now. I turned down the backside of the reflector so a 1W SE will allign with the focal point of the reflector; good beam! I tried a 5W SE and a bright flood results. The reflector is too small for the 5W SE to even hope to get a tight beam. I believe the 5W HD would fair better but it would need even more material removed or a pedestal and larger hole. I plan to go with the 1W SE and a Dat2zip wizard. I am going to see if I can make my own LED-LA module to screw in in place of the stock LA. The threads are metric but I am hoping to fake it with a loose imperial thread; 32 or 34 TPI as I recall.

- Don

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 5W LD comeing, how big is the P 6 head, will it accept 30mm optic?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The 30mm would need to be turned down considerably to fit in the Pellican M6 head. The Fraen will fit with the 4 struts removed.

- Don

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
bout 3 feet, I'll try some more tonight.

Supplied ample light to the far side of an 120f shop. More than enough to get around by.

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
Well it took me a while, but here are some more pics, beamshots, and (remember I wanted a Fluke 179.....Well it turned into a(data logging!) 189.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...I'm going to order the software to upload the log data to the computer, then I'll have something interesting to post!)

You may notice a change from the original setup, well after the trouble I had soldering to the aluminium heatsink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif and haveing a friend of mine CRANK the head down until we heard a SNAP, I revised the wireing.

Also, I colected a little data:

3 123's @ 8.62V (used)
980 mA start
886 mA 10 sec.
800 mA 1 min.

3 new 123's @ 9.73V

1.2 A start /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
930 mA 10 sec
886 mA 1 min

After 1 min both had settled down to a more reasonable discharge rate. After about 5 min the head was just starting to heat up. (No I haven't picked up a temp probe yet).

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
Here is some new info from my playing around.

3 123's measured 8.8 V (used)
they droped to 6.6 across the led.

6 AA's measured 9.2V
they droped to 7.2V
Direct drive these AA's gave me 1.5A droping to 1.4 in 10 sec. I didnt run more that that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Needless to say, IT WAS BRIGHT!

Snewt1

Newly Enlightened
Hey LEDmodMan, just noticed you are form Ft Worth, I'm over on the east side close to Bell Helicopter!