M2

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL will throw further.

Beam quality is good with both, but the E2DL is prone to "rings" due to the fact that it uses an optic instead of a reflector. Obviously the LED/incandescent issue will play a big part in what the beams look like. There is a wealth of information available, including beamshot comparisons, to illustrate this difference.

They're vastly different lights to draw a comparison between, really. What will you be using it for?

Regards,
Tempest

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
The E2DL will throw further.

Beam quality is good with both, but the E2DL is prone to "rings" due to the fact that it uses an optic instead of a reflector. Obviously the LED/incandescent issue will play a big part in what the beams look like. There is a wealth of information available, including beamshot comparisons, to illustrate this difference.

They're vastly different lights to draw a comparison between, really. What will you be using it for?

Regards,
Tempest

I currently have the Novatac 120P which I EDC and use for most tasks, but I was looking to (update) my M2 with an LED flashlight that can possibly offer longer running time and have an equal, if not better, throw.

Right now, I use the M2 when I walk my property at night, checking the fence and what not. It's nice and small, but has good throw for its size, so a similarly sized light would be nice.

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
By the way, I have scoured the forums for reviews and beamshot comparisons, but for the life of me I can't find a single thread.

Apollos

Newly Enlightened
In terms of throw and beam quality, how do the following two flashlights compare?
(Note: Assuming the M2 has a P61 lamp assembly installed)

M2 http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/m2_large2.jpg

E2DL http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/E2DLED_large2.jpg

I have both...great lights, I am sure you will be happy with either one. With that said, I would probably recommend the E2DL. It has great throw on high mode, and the low 5-lumen mode is extremely usable. Or, you could do what I did and get the Malkoff M60 drop-in for the M2 which will boost both output and runtime. Malkoff's website claims that the M60 will put out 235 lumens (or close to double the E2DL's output)...but it won't appear twice as bright side by side (at least not to my eyes).

YMMV

ETA: The E2DL's slimmer size allow for easier EDC.

Last edited:

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I really appreciate your insight. It looks like I'm going to get the E2DL.

Edit: Moderator, I'm sorry about the hot linking. I didn't know that. Thanks for leaving the post up.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
You may also like to consider whether your thread title was sufficient to attract the audience you were after.
Perhaps "How does the M2 w/P61 compare to the E2DL for beam & throw?"