UCL lens for Magcharger

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi all!

I have a Magcharger with Terralux TLE-300MR dropin. When i installed that dropin i used a lens which came with the dropin. It's a plastic lens and it quickly became all scratched. I broke the original one, so i need a new one. I'm thinking about gettin' one from flashlightlens.com, UCL, if i specify. Is there a noticable diference between UCL and original lens? Is coated against scratches and strong enough to sustain a pressure of a dropin?

Thanks in advance, Blaž

KD5XB

Enlightened
I bought one of the Dorcy lights spoken about at https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2669434

The first thing I did was replace the lens with a UCL lens. In the week that it took to arrive, the original lens had several scratches on it, and when I installed the UCL, it made a big difference.

As new as I am on this forum, though, I'm wondering if your dropin makes enough heat to be concerned about using the UCL instead. The dropin is spec'ed to use 12 watts, so if you leave it on for long periods of time it might generate some heat there. If your light gets HOT you might consider the Borofloat lens instead, although there is apparently a slight loss of light through that one -- something on the order of 5 or 6% -- that calculates out to 564 lumens instead of the 600 lumens the dropin is spec'ed at. Which is still a lot of light!

BVH

Flashaholic
IIRC, the official UCL's from Flashlightlens.com provides 7% more light transmission as compared to "regular glass". I'd PM or email Chris from FlashlightLens and ask him his recommendation on the use of a UCL with your dropin.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I use a TLE-300 in a standard 2D Mag, and I can say definitively that the UCL lens does make it just a tiny bit brighter, just enough that you notice a difference. I've never had a heat issue since the drop-in never really gets hot.

The biggest difference is in how the flashlight itself looks - it literally looks like there's no lens there at all:

TLE300.jpg

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the Dorcy lights spoken about at I'm wondering if your dropin makes enough heat to be concerned about using the UCL instead. The dropin is spec'ed to use 12 watts, so if you leave it on for long periods of time it might generate some heat there. If your light gets HOT you might consider the Borofloat lens instead, although there is apparently a slight loss of light through that one

LEDs will never generate enough heat to melt a plastic lens, well because an LED will melt first:crazy:!