Looking for A LED - Law Enforcement Use

SgtK

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've been doing a lot of reading on a couple different Cree run LED's. I'm trying to decide what would be best for out in the field everyday use that just lights everything up. A light for up close tactical encounters to a beam you can count on for looking long distance.

So far most of my research was focused on the Fenix TK11, using a 18650 2600mAh. I've actually had a chance to check out a friends TK20 and was very impressed with the amount of light and range the LED had with it only being 150 Lumens. So getting my hand of 225 Lumens should be even more impressing. The TK11 seems to be a nice solid size with one minor concern on whether the holster fit on a duty belt.

BUT

Now I see the Olight M20 using the Cree R2 which is a little brighter and has a little more distance yet is shows an orange peal reflector with an optional smooth reflector for more $.

I'm still leaning toward the Fenix TK11 unless someone could point me in a better direction. The final question would be where/who to buy from, which would be reliable for handling a department order?

signal 13

Enlightened
I highly recommend a SureFire host w/ a Malkoff M60 drop-in. It'll give you 1.5 hours runtime at about 235 lumens. But if you are looking to go rechargeable I'd go with the M30. The M30 is not available on the site, you'll have to email Gene Malkoff and ask him if he has any (www.malkoffdevices.com).

My girlfriend is also an officer and she uses a SureFire C2 on duty with the M30+17670 and she absolutely loves it.

I use the M30+18650 in a Leef Body (available at www.lighthound.com) and I absolutely love it. It's my backup light but I'm perfectly comfortable carrying it as a primary tactical light!

gilly

Enlightened
Sarge

I recommended the Fenix TK10 to a bunch of fellow SWAT team members. Around 10 of them did a group buy and to a man, they're very happy with them. (about 6 months use now)

So, being the 'brother' of the TK10, I'd recommend the TK11.

Another one of my buds got an M-20 off of the Marketplace here. He's had it in service a few weeks and is very pleased with it.

Advantage of the M-20 would be having the lower modes to tailor the amount of light to the task and conserve runtime. That low mode of 7 lumens will come in handy for just writing out a ticket or doing things in your cruiser.

Both can use 18650 and CR123 / RCR 123 so are very versatile. My buddy has no issues with the M-20 on his duty belt and I'm sure the TK11 will work fine as well.

Who to buy from? 4Sevens.com Why? Member of this forum, reliable, dedicated to his customers. They even offer a lifetime warranty on their Fenix lights (which is something to definitely consider)

Check it out: https://www.4sevens.com/information.php?info_id=5

(need to scroll down page)

CPF8 gets you an 8% discount on checkout.

Good luck - stay safe.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
This post has outdoor beamshots of both the TK20 and TK11 which might help you make a decision. I would think the user interface of the M20 would be annoying for law enforcement use seeing as you have to cycle through strobe mode every time you want to switch from hi to low. As for Eagletacs, none of them come close to the throw of a TK11 so I would rule them out.

SgtK

Newly Enlightened
This post has outdoor beamshots of both the TK20 and TK11 which might help you make a decision.

Yeah that was the first piece of information I found when I was researching the light. It came in very helpful when trying to sell it to my bosses.. I had the right people sold on the TK11 and now one of our distributors are pushing some 5.11 light and sending a couple samples. So once I find out what they are I need to try and counter what they are trying to push on us.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that was the first piece of information I found when I was researching the light. It came in very helpful when trying to sell it to my bosses.. I had the right people sold on the TK11 and now one of our distributors are pushing some 5.11 light and sending a couple samples. So once I find out what they are I need to try and counter what they are trying to push on us.

Read, read & read some more... then you can 'outmaneuver' these 5.11 sales reps with your new found CPF-ness! & product knowledge ;)

FWIW I'm more than happy using my 6P (with Wolf Eyes 190Lm P60 module) as a primary light leaving the larger outdated Terralux P4 3D Mag' (which it outperforms) in the gear bag, additionally the great thing about P60 technology IMHO is you can upgrade your light's output specification without having to buy a whole NEW light :thumbsup:

Last edited: