Muyshondt Aeon runtime

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
For a $200 light...when compare to my EX10...this makes me feel a bit disappointed..

Also I can't get the 90 mins runtime, but I'm okay with it..

More pics coming....

Last edited:

LightKnife

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you the world of customs may seem overpriced and in this case i think the light is a little bit on the plus side. You may even have better support from 4sevens.
However did you realized that you are comparing a CR2 light against a CR123 sort of a 4cyl against a V8. To my knowledge i did own a CR2 ion. Mine was faulty and didn't live up to my expectations even tho' i've paid over $150 which if i wanted i could have invested into a surefire or another established brand.
You have to be really careful if you are looking into values and lights that will hold its value in the custom world.

Last edited:

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
I'm not comparing the brightness or runtime but the fact that it seems to be dropped on floor... (see the first pic).

Overall I love the Aeon. Runtime is still excellent, as I always EDC 2-3 lights so anything of this size with over 30 mins runtime is good enough for me.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just ordered the aeon so thanks for the runtime graph 4pigs. The regulation is impressive. What brand of CR2 battery did you use? There can be quite a lot of variation between different brands.

Not_Holic

Newly Enlightened
For a $200 light...when compare to my EX10...this makes me feel a bit disappointed..

Also I can't get the 90 mins runtime, but I'm okay with it..

Hello 4Pigs,

Please don't jump to a final conclusion about the Aeon until you've had more experience with it.

I did some runtime tests when I got mine, but with rechargeable LiFePO batteries. They are much lower in capacity than primary cells, but I still got 55 minutes runtime. After my testing, I took a "dead" off-brand primary CR2 cell out of the trash and used it hard for a week. I then tested it to see how much longer it would run on high beam. I lasted 15 minutes in regulation. Then I continued the test on low beam, and the Aeon ran for for 12 more hours before it dropped out of regulation.

You got about 75 minutes out of your cell, which isn't bad, but I'll bet a good, fresh, name-brand cell will easily give you more than 90 minutes runtime. It is amazing how the Aeon can give so much, for so long, with so little.

As far as the tiny nick goes, nothing is perfect. Just wear your sunglasses when you inspect your light.

I hope all ends up well for you and you enjoy the light.

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
A fresh Energizer E2 was used in the test. I ran the test again today and found that with proper cooling, my Aeon last 10 more mins......During my first test, the temperature of the bezel raise to 42C, and 35C in my second test.

I'm now runing a 3rd test with Duracell........

Last edited:

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
3rd test with Duracell score only 58mins regulated runtime....

Hmmmm.............. it seems that the Aeon works best with energizer e2.

BTW, is there anything wrong with my Aeon which only scores 85 mins on high mode..........?

I'll run another test tomorrow, with the Energizer E squared. The cells I used in the previous test were bought in 2004...( I'm not sure if these cells, which claims to have 10 years shell life will lost some power in 4 years.)

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I was skeptical, but I am quite impressed with my Aeon. Apples and oranges I know, but on paper the Aeon's output and runtime are the same as a SF Backup, but the thing is so small it's a swallowing hazard.

BTW: has anyone done a runtime test on the Nautilus? I haven't been able to find one.

The two lights are terrific, and the tint of these latest ones is beautiful.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
4pigs: No, there's nothing wrong with your light and its runtimes. The quoted runtimes are accurate and are based on brand new, fresh cells. Batteries that have been sitting around for years have a certain amount of self discharge and accordingly will not last as long as brand new ones, this is common across all cell brands and all cell types and is to be expected.

Generally speaking Duracell produces the highest quality CR2 cell that I've come across today, but they aren't cheap. It's best you avoid the off-brands, particularly those coming from China, as their performance is abysmal.

gottawearshades: 2:45 on High, 75 Hours Low.

-Enrique

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
Endeavour,

Thanks for the information. I checked again the packing of the tested batteries and found the Energizer was pruchased in 2005 and Duracell in 2003 and 2004....

Anyway, I love the Aeon and thanks for making a great light in small size.

Illum

Flashaholic
yeah, the high runs short of 90 minutes regardless of duracells, sanyo/GE, maxwell

most of the time it does fine with low, and its the runtime on low thats really impressive. I've used my ΛӘΘИ almost every night and the duracell only dropped 20% yesterday. I bought it in 0927

I try to be brutally honest here:

What impressed me

• LONG runtime on low
  • Impressive runtime on high
  • Über small footprint
  • Tail standable
  • Sapphire window...its amazing how clear it is
  • Sufficient spot/flood from the reflector [kinda like a P1-CE without artifacts]
  • Just the right tension for a twisty. Not so loose that it will turn itself on with just a rub, but not so snug that would require both hands to operate.
  • Black hardcoat [mine] is inconspicuous with formal dress attire, making it perfect for those occasions where you don't want a bulge ANYWHERE on the pants:nana:
  • Knurling not aggressive enough to tear clothing
What was disappointing

• Über small tolerances on the tail ring, I couldn't get it to collapse without scraping the sides
  • Brass will tarnish from oil or sweat, so its not the best candidate for neck carry
  • Black deposit on the negative contact of the battery touching the light body, not sure what it is, but it grows back even after you've wiped it the day/session before.
  • the threads were tougher to clean than those on the P1-CE/other lights that uses fine threads, but them seem to reserve additional lube rather than squeezing it out from the top of the light:duh2:
The length of the pen does not determine the quality of its writing

It basically blew my former formal EDC out of the water

cheers :wave:

Last edited: