Which torch should I get? - M20 arrived!

short1uk

Newly Enlightened
It' my birthday in 2 weeks and I am looking to see which new torch to get. I currently have

Technolite -
Arc AA -
Pak Lite green -
Krill 360 Green -
Mag Lite 3 Cell with 3W LED Upgrade -
Mag Lite AA -
Flik Lite -

Orb Raw -
Glo Toob FX Blue -
Surefire L4
-
FENIX P3D CE

The Fenix is my work horse and I never leave the house with out it. My Surefire stays at home as I dont think its really designed to be carried every where that and it cuts through my iPhone! lol

So where to go next, I have just been looking at the Fenix TK11 and it looks so cool! That some rechargable batteries and away I go.

Whats it like?? I dont plan on carrying it every where with my but I imagine it will be in my bag most days while my P3D is in my pocket. How long do the batteries take to charge? How many spares would you get I was thinking of having 3 or 4 batteries?

Cheers guys

Catherine

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which torch should I get?

Fenix TK11 sounds like a good choice. It is slightly chunkier than your SF L4 but if you're carrying it in your hand bag I guess it doesn't matter. (I don't have a hand bag). I don't think you need 3 or 4 batteries unless you plan on heavy use, especially as the TK11 has a low mode for long runtimes. 2 batteries in total should be enough. Charge time with the Ultrafire WF-139 charger is about 5-6 hours from empty.

For a keychain light, I'd go with the ARC-AAA (with nichia DS or GS) or something similar.

short1uk

Newly Enlightened

I have just seen the Warrior M20!

Any good?

As good as the Fenix? (I know it doesnt take rechargables - mmmmm possibly the major down size as I spend so much on batteries already)

Catherine

Toaster

Enlightened

Fenix TK11 is a great light and I agree 2 batteries total should be adequate for your needs. If you plan on using rechargeables only, you may want to go with a light that provides flat regulation on the 18650. Lights that can take both CR123s and 18650s are for the most part regulated on CR123s but not when running on 18650s. So if it's an issue, my suggestion is go with Dereelight CL1H V4 instead. It's a real barn burner like the TK11 and the 3SD driver is perfectly regulated on 18650s and provides over discharge protection so you don't fry your battery. You can pick what type of LED (Q5 or R2 for max brightness, Q3 5A for more natural colors which I prefer) it comes with. And the Dereelight ships with both smooth and orange peel reflectors allowing you to alter the beam pattern for more throw or flood as you wish. Best part is the pill is upgradeable so if something new or better comes along, it's only ~$30 to have the latest and greatest.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I prefer the simple user interface of the TK11 over similar multi-mode lights. I think this is what makes the Fenix stand out amongst the rest of the crowd.

short1uk

Newly Enlightened

Interesting! And a similar price.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/dereelight/cl1h-v4.html

is the Uk stockist I could find.

It doesnt state the brightness and run times ie: 100lumen for 2 hours etc.

I am confused now, I would ideally like to just use rechargables as I spend a fortune on batteries for the Surefire and my Fenix (I like them bright all the time ;o) )

MMMM...... Which one?

Catherine

Toaster

Enlightened

Well personally I have a Fenix TK11 and Dereelight DBS and am very happy with both of em. I bought the TK11 at the time since I only had CR123s and was planning on getting rechargeables a bit later. Now that I own a few 18650s, I'd rather have a CL1H for the reasons I listed earlier. The flat regulation on 18650 and warm 5A Q3 LED being the key selling points for me over the TK11. Runtime on the CL1H with the latest 3SD Driver should be around 1hr 45 min high, 3hr medium, 12hr low. Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) the TK11 is still a rather excellent performer so I can't justify getting rid of mine just yet...

I'm not sure about UK dealers but you can order direct. Dereelight has a thread in the manufacturer's forum where Alan will answer any questions you may have. FlashCrazy has a thread in the dealer's corner to handle US orders, but I dunno if he or anyone else does the same for UK.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have just seen the Warrior M20!

Any good?

As good as the Fenix? (I know it doesnt take rechargables - mmmmm possibly the major down size as I spend so much on batteries already)

Catherine

Both the TK11 and the Warrior take rechargeables! I don't use any, so I bought the TK10 and not the TK11, but the M20 comes with an extra holster for 2 CR123A to prevent rattling as it is designed fort an 18650.

What's better? The Warrior has by far the brightest output at a white-yellowish color. My TK10 is slightly violet, cooler than the M20 and because of its OP reflector, the hotspot is bigger, the spill a bit brighter. I installed the SMO in the Warrior, that's a hell of a hotspot, but of course the spill is less. With the stock OP installed, this changes a little bit of course.

The Fenix seems tougher than the Olight, the UI of the Fenix is simpler. To chose between these two lights, you better hold them both in hands and see for yourself. I first bought the TK10 and then had to get the M20 as well! :crazy:

short1uk

Newly Enlightened

This is going to be much harder than I first thought....

Dereelight DBS Version 2

this looks amazing too, but the web site does not say how many lumens etc it is

I am all confused now! there are so many that I want. The M20 looks sweet and this was the first light I looked at but I like the Fenix interface too.

I think I need to use rechargeable batteries as I have already said and I dont know much about the way the torch uses the battery power as mentioned above.

Damn it, confused!!

Catherine

short1uk

Newly Enlightened

OK So I think I have decided on the M20 Warrior, anyone know where I can get the smooth reflector from? I am in the UK. Found it at battery junction web site for $9.95 but not found it in the UK yet.

Does it make much difference between the OP and the smooth one?

After looking at the lights I love the Fenix but the choice of only 2 levels of output is putting me off. This warrior has a number of output which might be handy, also is it regulated < what ever that means.

I plan to buy the rechargeable batteries for it.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got mine from qualityflashlights in Austria, they also have a site in the UK.

But, honestly, you don't need it. I took it, because I wanted a complete set and because I just bought the TK10 which is equipped with an OP (The TK11 has an SMO). So, I have two different lights, as I tried to explain in my former post. I let the SMO in, so I have one light that overthrows everything else (the modded Mag isn't far away though, focussed very tight...). Great to find reflectors in a forest, even, if it ain't that dark.

If you use the light "normally", you'll be fine with the OP!

Greets,

Henk

short1uk

Newly Enlightened

I am gonna order from qualityflashlights as I know the lady that owns it, she use to live near me but moved to Austria.

Excited now!!!!!

Catherine

short1uk

Newly Enlightened

Ordered!!!

My other half has already ordered me a charger and some batteries the AW ones.

Didnt know they had ordered me them, I had asked for a price in the marketplace bit of the forum. Ah well its all on the way now!

Catherine

1996alnl

Enlightened

OK So I think I have decided on the M20 Warrior, anyone know where I can get the smooth reflector from? I am in the UK. Found it at battery junction web site for $9.95 but not found it in the UK yet.

Does it make much difference between the OP and the smooth one?

After looking at the lights I love the Fenix but the choice of only 2 levels of output is putting me off. This warrior has a number of output which might be handy, also is it regulated < what ever that means.

I plan to buy the rechargeable batteries for it.

I had the same dilema a while ago,i couldn't decide between the M20 Warrior or the TK11 so i got both.
There is a difference wth the beam of the M20 with the SM,it's much TIGHTER intented for throwing.I prefer the beam with the OP reflecter,nicer hotspot with less artifacts and still amazing throw capability.
The TK11 is my tank of a light,amazing performance i just wish it came with a OP reflecter.
What i like about these lights is the amazing runtimes on 18650's:twothumbs

Take care

short1uk

Newly Enlightened

I may well end up with a TK11 as well :laughing:

Hoping it should arrive soon!!!

Catherine

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

@short1uk

Looking at what you already have, it could be you end up with another flashlight soon... :rolleyes:

There are rumors, that Fenix could update the TK11 soon, as competitors have arrived and beat it. But, there are always new ones coming!

Greets,

Henk

NB : Check your PM if you haven't done so already...

short1uk

Newly Enlightened

It arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P1020122.jpg

P1020124.jpg

P1020129.jpg
P1020133.jpg

I love it!! Build quality is so good and the torch pouch is great it can hold both my batteries.

Does anyone know how to change the end cap to the GITD one?? I didnt want to just pull it off incase that is not how you do it.

Catherine

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

It arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know how to change the end cap to the GITD one?? I didnt want to just pull it off incase that is not how you do it.

Catherine

I changed mine, so I know...

Don't try to pull it off, that's definetely not the way! :poof:

Twist off the tailcap and have a lok inside. You see a ring with two little holes on both sides. Normally you need a special tool, that goes into those two holes to twist the ring off and to get the switch and the cap out. By chance, you get enough force with two pens you stick in the holes and twist. I used two little old INBUS, ome nails should also work, but pay attention not to hurt yourself and/or the threads in case the tools slip off.

Have a look at this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNKyiX9wAQ4

It's a fenic, but it's soewhat the ame process, the M20 has a plastic inside which you also have to screw out.

Good luck,

Henk

short1uk

Newly Enlightened
Managed to do it, hope I have screwed the bits back in enough! the plastic bit was easy to screw back in but the other one was a bit harder.

Mmmm, the tail cap should it click slightly when you press the momentary on mode? Quite hard to press to get it to momentary on.

Catherine