Just got a Surge

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surge is a great light, very bright too. Just make sure the bulb is plugged in all the way and the batteries are in correctly. They don't all fit with the spring contact touching the negitive end of the batteries. Go by the markings instead.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Finally took the hour long drive to nearest EMS looking for an Infinity, ended up getting a Surge instead as they only had 1 Infinity with a red led.
mad.gif
I'm lovin this light so far but gotta wait for the damn sun to go down to see it's full potential. It seems like the perfect sized light for me, feels great in the hand and has a nice weight to it. My only concern is that I'm not gonna be able to find a replacement bulb locally, even EMS didn't have one, but that should be a ways off so no biggie. Now just need to get rid of that big ball of fire...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOO HOO! I got my surge today too! Too bad it cost me nearly $44 USD. I got it for $79.20 SGD. Should have shipped it from america... sighz... but it's a great light. I am just wondering about replacement bulbs because the main bulb seems to be soldered onto the pcb.... and the amount of silicon grease they use is simply amazing, they got quite some of it smeared on the outside of the light i got too.... gave it a wash with some soap and all is fine. I shine it at the ceiling and compare it with my Mag mini AA. OOpps.... the Mag Mini AA got blown away! The light from the Surge is so strong and focused. I am waiting for night time for me to shine at passing pedestrians.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Nerd,

I'm from SG too. I been wanting to get a Surge but could not find it anywhere.

Where did you get yours?

Pls contact by email - [email protected]

Tks.

Bob Snow

Newly Enlightened
I have a pair of Surge's and they work great with NiMH batteries. Makes them very economical and since they came with 16 Alkalines, I won't have to buy any for a while. If the bulbs in these lights could tolerate the added voltage of Lithium AA's they would be a lot lighter and of course very expensive to run.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't think the Surge is recommended for use with lithiums. There were a number of threads going awhile back about what happens to the bulb when you try to run it from lithiums. And I don't think the news was very promising.

Stick with other types of AAs.
If you live in a place where 123s are expensive (they're $8 to $14 apiece in Seattle, for example), the Surge should be relatively cheap to feed on alkalines compared to an E2 or similar 123 lithium light.

Besides the bulb problem, lithium AAs aren't cheap either. They're $4 apiece locally (I just checked my receipt), so even if the bulb could take the extra punch, filling up a Surge with lithium AAs would cost you approximately $32 plus sales tax. Filling it up with alkalines should cost you no more than about $8, and possibly a lot less if you can afford to buy batteries in bulk.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surges are REALLY cheap to feed down here right now! The local Walmarts are selling 16 packs of Rayovac Alkalines for $3.47!!! How is the LED Museum stocked on AAs??? Email me if you need some and I will throw you several pack in the mail.

I REALLY love my Surge, and plan on picking up at least one spare to keep in my truck.

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened
Use NiMHs! Slightly less light output than with fresh alkalines, but comes to the same brightness at about 15 minutes. Stays about the same brightness for about 3 hours with the last 10 minutes of rapid declining brightness. Alkalines just keep getting dimmer and becomes not really bright at about 2 to 2.5 hours. After using the Surge for about an hour or two, top off the cells. Also, you might want to do this once every two months, even if you don't use it. This will give you a really bright light at hand everytime. Running on NiMH may even extend the life of the bulb as it would be running a little cooler.