Malkoff M60 Imperfection? Broke?

Apollos

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I have an M60 I put into a SureFire M2 (with copper ring of course). This morning, I noticed what looks like a crack on the top of the M60 on the lens where it meets the plastic ring. I am almost sure it was not there before. Last night, my cat knocked my light off my nightstand where it fell less than a foot before hitting carpet. I really doubt it was enough force to cause a crack but...maybe it was. I tried taking a picture but I only have my cell phone available and you can't see it in those pics. I will try with my digital camera tonight. Anybody else have a similar problem?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with cracking.

Is this a production or handmade model - did it come in the blisterpack?

I hightly doubt a one foot fall on carpet could crack it, and, as its brand new, sound like it is most likely a production flaw (if its not a handmade version). So far there hasn't been any mention of the production quality vs. the older handmade M60s...

I would consider giving Gene or Cathy a call or email - their customer service is outright amazing.

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning, I noticed what looks like a crack on the top of the M60 ?

Contact Gene. Tell him what happened. He'll set it right. Gene is a real person, not some anonymous factory somewhere in Asia.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The new production facility probably still has to hand fit the M60 module, certain steps might be automated, such as the circuit board, which was pretty labor intensive for Gene, and back filling the module with heat sinking epoxy. The brass heatsink construction is probably automated now. The optic not made by Gene, or his facility, being plastic, would be a weak link here, and possibly had a production flaw, in this case.

Bill

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Sometimes, bad product gets through. Fortunately this is Malkoff we are talking about.
Shoot an email to Gene or Cathy. They'll take care of you.

CampingLED

Enlightened
My motto is: "If you are happy tell everybody, if you are unhappy tell the manager, if that does not work tell everybody". I have had some problems with lights before, but the problem was always resolved. The pre and after sales service of Gene and Cathy are great.

EDIT: I feel that you should at least send a good quality photo of the defect to them.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, you haven't even told us if you notice any difference in the beam. If this anomaly is at the interface to something along the edge it may have been there all along and you didn't notice it.

Take a real good look at the beam and tell us if you see anything in it that looks different before you panic about it being "broke". I see anomalies in mine at the interface along the perimeter, its meaningless to me, has nothing to do with anything. The beam is unchanged. I have dropped mine on concrete and the paved street several times already, nothing has changed with how it performs or what the beam looks like.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a 'crack' in a Malkoff lens, but had what appeared to be a 'chip' on the perimeter edge. Turns out, it was just a provision in the lens retention system itself to keep it from unthreading, a perfectly normal part of the device. :grin2:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes B is B, I have seen the exact same thing in mine. thanks for that excellent description.

Apollos

Newly Enlightened
I've never had a 'crack' in a Malkoff lens, but had what appeared to be a 'chip' on the perimeter edge. Turns out, it was just a provision in the lens retention system itself to keep it from unthreading, a perfectly normal part of the device. :grin2:

Yes! That is it...alright we're all good now. And to answer the poster above...I did not notice any imperfections in the beam when I tested it so I decided not to send it back. Thanks for the help!

CampingLED

Enlightened

One of the 1st things I noticed when I received mine. Went to the website and noticed it in Gene's pics as well and knew it was manufactured that way. :cool:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the optik, it's made from plastic, not glass. This is OK as the surface is never exposed.

When I was filing the module, I wiped off the surface of it a few times and causes many micro-scratches. Even though I was careful, blew off the dust, used a microfiber cloth... Don't touch the surface of the lense if you ever have it out.

That should be a moot point normally as the lexan in the bezel protects it.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apollos, Since you have found that your Malkoff is neither imperfect or broke you should really change the title on this thread. Even if its not intentional it is misleading and impies something that it shouldn't. G

Last edited: