Surefire E1B Interface Thoughts After a couple months of use

cslinger

Enlightened
I love Surefire lights in general. Surefire and HDS/Novatac/RA are the lights I count on. I also love the L1/A2 switching mechanism.

All that being said the E1B is a great light for output, size, feel etc. but I have decided it just isn't the right switching routine for me. IMO a better backup would be the Novatac 85/120T.

Here is what I think could be changed to make the E1B a better backup light IMO.

Instead of always cycling between high and low only cycle on a full click on/off. When using a momentary press have it stay in whatever mode it was last set to or default it to high on momentary. This would allow the light to operate as a backup tactical light if so desired.

To me the Novatac T-Series is perfect in that if you desire you always have momentary high but can utilize the light as a utility light as well.

Just my two cents and everybody knows what opinions are like. :D I still like the E1B very much just my thoughts on the interface.

Is the switching routine completely mechanical in nature or is this something that Surefire could change via a programing change? Just bored at work and curious.

Chris

Last edited:

crocodilo

Enlightened
Agree with cslinger. Only problem I have with both the E2DL and the E1B is the totally anoying and useless (to say the least) momentary mode, since it keeps switching between high and low. Regardless, two of my favorite lights.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Am I the only one that likes the fact that high is the first output? IDK, maybe it comes from hunting, or being in the woods and outdoors in general a lot at night but I don't want to cycle for the brightest setting when I need it now. All the reasons people have for liking low levels first (such as walking around the house at night, late night bathroom trips etc.) are situations where the time to take the extra click and cover the window with your hand is completely do-able and at a time when you're not in any rush. But when you get up at 3 a.m. to check on that "bump", you want all the light you can first, in a situation where a bit longer to get to it is'nt desired at all.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I've decided I need two flashlights on me at all times anyway!

I want a floody light that comes on low for those times already mentioned like when everyone's asleep, bathroom trips, etc.

And, I want a light that throws to come on high when I want to see something far off or those WTF moments!

So, CR2 Ion, HDS, or RaTwisty for one need, and E1B, or E2DL for the other!

Who carries just one flashlight anway!:shrug:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Am I the only one that likes the fact that high is the first output?
Nope, you're not the only one. I like the fact that if I need a lot of light fast, I can go for my E1B or E2DL and have lots of light in one click.

I think most (if not all) of us here at CPF carry more than one light. For example, I have a Photon ReX on my keychain and an Arc AAA hanging on my Maxpedition Proteus that are my regular use lights. The E1B is the one I reach for when I need lots of light, fast. :)

Krispy

Newly Enlightened
lightsandknives - A2 wh perfect low flood, nice incan spot. A2 switch lets you pick (soft or hard press)

Last edited:

jonesy

Enlightened
May I recommend the L1 for your ease of switching needs: For momentary, press lightly for low, press harder for high. It's that easy, and you'll never forget the order. :D

For constant on low, twist a bit, then twist a bit more for high. Definitely my most favorite UI of all my lights!

crocodilo

Enlightened
Yes, the L1's user interface is just about perfect.

The problem with the E2DL and E1B is not high coming first, that makes a lot of sense for "tactical" use. Problem is that the mode keeps switching if you use the momentary on/off.

For users who prefer low first, I highly recommend the standard E2L and E1L, both also very good.

cslinger

Enlightened
No problem with high coming on first, I like that aspect. I don't like that if I am using it in momentary mode that it keeps switching between high and low. 95% of the time that I use momentary modes in lights are when I am using the highest output. The lower outputs are usually used in a constant on mode such as reading/navigating etc.

The L1/A2 are the best switching mechanisms available IMO.

I just feel that the way the E1B is marketed you should have easy access to momentary high at all times.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I've pondered an L1 but the E1B interface is more or less a deal breaker for me.

Access to low first is essential for most of my EDC lights - whether it's programmed that way or comes that way. I am very fond of the HDS/Novatac/Ra interface, and like the Ion for what it is as well as the twist bezel option which still allows me to choose where I start.

In retrospect the Liteflux UI for the old LF series was pretty nice - the multiple twists made it tricky to program but the basic twisty stage 1/2 interface and the ability to user select what levels those were made it pretty close to a light for all seasons. No cycling through unwanted modes, no issues with the wrong mode coming first, etc... I prefer a clickie but that setup made a lot of sense and still is my favorite UI that isn't an HDS/Novatac/Ra light.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Yes, the L1's user interface is just about perfect.

The problem with the E2DL and E1B is not high coming first, that makes a lot of sense for "tactical" use. Problem is that the mode keeps switching if you use the momentary on/off.

For users who prefer low first, I highly recommend the standard E2L and E1L, both also very good.

I have a Cree L1 & love it for the perfect UI, but only wish it had a higher high & a lower low, like the E1L or E1B.

milky milky milky milky milky milky milky milky milky milky milky milky milky

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
I have EDCed an E1B for about four months , and love it . I dont mind the hi first . In an emergency , I prefer hi first . Remember its intended use as a backup/plainclothes /ccw tactical lite . Lo or last used may be better on an EDC lite , but the E1B is a tactical as opposed to high end EDC .

Chris

Taboot

Enlightened
No problem with high coming on first, I like that aspect. I don't like that if I am using it in momentary mode that it keeps switching between high and low. 95% of the time that I use momentary modes in lights are when I am using the highest output. The lower outputs are usually used in a constant on mode such as reading/navigating etc.

The L1/A2 are the best switching mechanisms available IMO.

I just feel that the way the E1B is marketed you should have easy access to momentary high at all times.

I totally agree with you on this. After using mine for a bit, I love the light, but the interface is balky to me. I prefer the A2 interface. However, even the A2 UI isn't perfect to me. When you are using in momentary mode, I find that you have to mash the button too hard to get to high output.

If I could have the E1B my way, I would make it momentary high, click on high. Loosen the head slightly for low mode momentary and click. Tighten, back to high mode. Actually, this is exactly how the 9AN works (change twist for click), and I liked it when I had one.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the E1B for a while now and I still like the UI. Like many others have said though it depends on how you use the light, or maybe more accurately, what you tend to use a light for.

I can see the point that if it really was a 'BACKUP' in the LEO sense, having momentary always be HIGH makes sense.

Like others have said; I've decided like the Swiss Army Knife, rather than trying to get everything in one, it's better to just carry a couple. You get a much better match between the tool and the job. You can often get the best for the job, without the compromizes.

So in that vein, a NovaTac or similair paired with something like the TK11, Jet III-M, EagleTac, or other high output light seems the way to go. A Photon Pro and a C2 with an M60 might be a nice combo. :D

I can think of so many great combos, but chosing a single light... now that's HARD! :thinking: