Review: FENIX TK20 - Impressions and pictures!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there... This is my first review ever!

I´ll gonna make this review because I think there is just a few pics about Fenix TK20 around here.

Well, enjoy the lecture! :popcorn:

FENIX TK20
Powered by 2xAA batteries.
2 modes: general mode (45 l.) and turbo mode (150 l.)

Finish: HA-III finish is perfect. No flaws, risks or any other signs, even if you look with lens. I would say that it´s the best anodizing that I saw in a Fenix light. I have another Fenix lights (L2D, P1, P2D), and the TK20 looks a degree higher and better if compared with it´s sisters. Finish and feel is EXACTLY the same as Surefire L1. Threads are anodized too (has lock-out capability).

Picture of the head finish:
FenixTK20008.jpg

Size and body: overall size is smaller than I thought. I like the size. It fits perfectly in my hand (I have big hands). When I grip it with my thumb in the tailclickie, only the light´s head stays out of my palm. It has a great feel in the hand, but it´s not a light for EDC. It looks perfect to go camping or hunting, to carry in your belt or backpack, but it´s too big for EDC carry in a jeans pocket, for example. It has a grey rubber cover around the body. In my sample, I didn´t have any problem with it. I mean, it is not glued, but I have to pull it hard to move it around the body. It does not affect the change mode operation at all, because the rubber band is tight!

Here is a size comparison between TK20 and Surefire L1:
FenixTK20011.jpg

Now beside some CR123 batteries:
FenixTK20003.jpg

Weight: it´s heavy. Heavier than any light that I had. But it´s a "good weight"... I mean, this weight gives you a sturdy feel. A tank feel. It looks like you´re holding something solid, compact, indestructible. Do you remember the first time that you hold a .357 revolver ? Well, it´s the same feel!

Look at it´s thickness:
FenixTK20012.jpg

Tailclickie: it´s solid too. The clickie has a great feel. It is heavier and harder than LxD or PxD models. You have to push it harder to ignite. It´s forward clickie, so it has momentary ON. I specially like the lanyard hole. It´s big, so you can use a thicker rope to tie it, but it is not a round hole.

Here´s the tailclickie from inside:
FenixTK20013.jpg

And from outside:
FenixTK20004.jpg

Reflector and throw: it has a normal smooth reflector. It´s deeper, larger and bigger if compared to L2D, because it was built for throw. Nothing special about it, but this little light throws A LOT! I am impressed with it´s throw capability! It has a good beam, with the notorious cree rings, but nothing bad about it. You can only see a slightly cree ring when you do white wall hunting. In real world, I cannot see them. The tint is awesome for outdoor use. It is whiter than I thought. It´s not cool white (like my Fenix L2D), but it reminds me my yellowish Surefire L1 (without the greenish in the low mode). And it is A LOT whiter than any of my incan lights.

Here is a comparison between TK20 head and Surefire L1 head:
FenixTK20009.jpg

Overall impression: Well, I don´t have anything bad to say about this light. I am surprised with it´s quality and feel. It looks A LOT superior than my Fenix L2D Cree, and it feels better in the hand too. Fenix is evoluting, my friends. I liked a lot the tint too. It really gives you a better color rendition, specially outdoors. I tried, but all my beamshots pictures was terrible, sorry guys!

Well, thats it!

My advice: if you´re looking for a "tank" light for outdoor use, with a LOT of throw and color rendition, go for it! You´ll not regret! I am specially happy with it, and probably gonna get another one for my father.

Regards! :wave:

LG

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad looking light,what's the runtime on it?

Take care

I didn´t make a runtime test yet. I got it yesterday!

But, in Fenix website they show these numbers:
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
Turbo Mode: Constant 150 Lumens during 2 hours (Ni-MH)

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]General Mode: Constant 45 Lumens during 11 hours (Ni-MH)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]:grin2:
[/FONT]

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
GEEZ just stop it with the great light details!

I don't have the money.....................................Maybe next year.

Good review and pics!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review and pictures! :twothumbs

I'll get one of those babies for christmas and am curious about the tint...

Can the rubber coat easily be removed if you want to change for a yellow one?

Toaster

Enlightened
Nice job with your first review! No doubt the TK20 is meant to be used as a serious tool and the pics reflect that well.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review and pictures! :twothumbs

I'll get one of those babies for christmas and am curious about the tint...

Can the rubber coat easily be removed if you want to change for a yellow one?

Thanks Henk!

I read somewhere here in CPF that it´s easy to remove the rubber coat, but in my sample it´s not so easy.

My rubber coat is tight around the light. I tried to remove it but I can´t without some "force", so I stop trying.

Maybe I got a new model, with the rubber coat tight. If I am correct, it´s easily to remove the rubber coat in the older models, but I don´t know how...

Regards.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review my friend!

How's the regulation on Alkalines?

I didn´t make a full runtime test with alkalines yet, but I tested it on the field with rechargeable Ni-MH during 1 hour (alternating modes) and with Duracell AA Alkalines in direct turbo mode, during 25 minutes, and it looks like the same. I didn´t realize any drop in the power. Looks flat and well regulated.

(but I don´t have a lux meter to check...)

I think Fenix regulation is one of the best.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review and the pictures Federal LG!

My latest order (I will receive in around 1,5 weeks) includes 2 examples of the TK20. One for me and one to my brother-in-law (also love flashlights) as his 40 years birthday present. I understand TK20 was not a bad choice!

Regards, Patric

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Federal... I do not know how I missed this when you first posted it. Great pics! I do love how thick the body tube is on the TK20. Fenix is really making some great lights. Thanks again for the pics!

jhillas

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of these and like it, but am unable to switch between the two power settings. Every thing I find online just says to twist the bezel 10 degrees, but that does not seem to work for me. Any advice would be welcome.

Do you have to follow a procedure like tap on, click on, twist, tap, etc?

Can you adjust the power while the light is on?

I figure I am just doing something stupid (or not doing something)

Latest posts