2xAA light for mechanic/hunter

krazy89

Enlightened
Hey Guys...

it's xmas time.. and i know there's tons of recommendations threads...

but i gotta get a friggin awesome present for my future father-in-law... he's a mechanic... hunter.. and NOT a f-holic...

he saw my EX10 when we were fixing their furnace (and when i saw we... i mean... he was fixing it.. and i was holding my EX10...)

he liked the output... and said that he's looking to get a new flashlight... so i thought... that's a great xmas gift...

only problem.. he's not a holic.. and doesn't like the fact that my ex10 uses CR123's...

is there a good quality 2xAA light out there with a very simple UI??? maybe like 2-3 levels... NO strobe...

the ones i'm looking at are:

Fenix L2D Q5 (maybe too many levels???)
Fenix L2T V2.0 (simplest UI... good output... maybe a winner???)
Nitecore D20 (i think this UI is too complicated...)

is there any others out there???

KraZy

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I just bought my father in law the Fenix L2T.

The main reasons I bought it for him:

1) uses standard batteries (he'd flip out if he had to buy CR123's)

2) Very simple function: low and high (he'd be bothered by too many modes)

3) excellent performance, especially for the price. Sure it is not as bright as the L2D Q5, but it will certainly amaze a non-flash-a-holic.

krazy89

Enlightened
hehe... thanks guys for the recommendations...

i kinda expected that the L2T would get thrown in here...

didn't even think about the TK20... some strange reason... i thought that was a 2xCR123 light... (?!?!?!) don't know why...

just wondering if there's any other lights (brands?!!) out there that would fit the bill.... honestly... i don't really like the looks of either the L2T or the TK20...

KraZy

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
other 2xAA lights? I did not notice a $$ limit. How about the Eagletac P10A2 or the L2D-Q5?

The Eagletac P10A2 is certainly the brightest of all 2xAA lights that I am aware of. The TK20 has the definite advantage of accurate color - unfortunately the beam is too narrow for me. I sold my copy. However for a hunter, having the correct color - meaning following a blood trail in the woods at dusk - may be an advantage.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad is a hunter, my bother inlaw is a hunter and mechanic, and they do not know much about flashlights. They both know, trust, and have used for years, Minimags for hunting and automotive work. I got them each another light, and they used the Minimag, I got them each a MagLed Minimag and they used it and still do. They know what has worked for them and that is it, Maglight.

Buy a Minimag MagLed it will blow them away if they are used to older Mags and they will trust and use it. Plus, it will fit their old Maglight hunting pouch, well if it has an open end like the Uncle Mikes pouches my father and brother used for their Minimags.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the TK20? Its only got two levels and is supposed to have that great tint.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Fenix E2O if you want to keep the budget more reasonable.

Fenix TK20 if you want sometime a little fancier.

EagleTac P10A2 is a great alternative.

There are a lot of nice 2xAA lights out there. Simple operation is the most important feature of a gifted light. That limits choices to either single mode lights, or lights that have 2 simple to access modes via bezel twist or mode cycling on the switch. The 3+ mode and variable output options are not going to appeal to many non-flashaholics (in fact, they don't even appeal to me.)

I'd be torn between the TK20 and P10A2, they are very similar lights in many respects, similar runtime, similar interface.

krazy89

Enlightened
hey Guys...

yeah... simple UI has to be first priority... and as always... price does matter... But something in the $50-70 is right about the spot i'm aiming towards... so i think the Eagletac P10A2 is just a lil bit over the budget... but still doable...

i really think that the Fenix E20 would be perfect if it had 2 modes... but it looks like it's a single mode light... and for a mechanic... i think full blast isn't always a good option for up close work... but i love the ability to focus the beam...

L2D's are out of the question as there's way too many levels and strobe really is useless... that's why i think if i got that route... the L2T is the best option...

TK20... i think the beam pattern isn't the best... it's a thrower and isn't as useful as a wider hotspot...

as for the minimag and LED module... i thought about that... as i can get a minimag for cheap... and a LED module for cheap... and swap it out for a SSC P4.. and it would be nice and bright... focusable... and maybe even throw in a push button for the tail cap... only thing.. it's only 1 mode too... i think there's a nite ize 5 mode tailcap... maybe that might be the trick??

so many decisions... i'm a kid in a candy store... :)

and it's not even for me...

KraZy

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I am a hunter and find my L2D Q5 not that hard to use. It takes seconds to from low to medium or high. The UI is not all that hard. All that being said I feel a headlamp is best for most outdoor stuff. Works great for getting up the tree stand in the early AM or crawling down looking for a dusk kill. I need both my hands free. I have to go up the tree with my Rem 870 and all my junk. Same goes for working on cars. I pack a headlamp in my truck so my hands are free to change tires etc. The flashlight is great to reach way out if I get a bit off trail to the tree stand or want to aviod getting boxed in with the pulk or look for that next trailmarker if I stumble off trail.

Matt7337

Enlightened
This is a very relevant thread for me, as since buying my first high performance light this week (Fenix TK11 as a bike headlight) I am also considering buying my Dad a flashlight for christmas.

He used to be a mechanic, he now teaches motor vehicle mechanics at a college, and he keeps a small cheap inspection torch clipped in the top pocket of his overalls - an incand 2xAAA.

I would like to buy him a nice new 1 or 2 AAA or at the most 2AA flashlight for christmas, and i've gotten some really good ideas from this thread :)

One question though (and I really dont mean to hijack the thread on the author!), do any of them have clips available?

KuRUpTD

Newly Enlightened
Fenix L2D Q5 don't think the UI is difficult to understand but does have a strobe - no biggie

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Eagletac P10A2. It's an amazing light. THe high/ low is super easy to select. What makes it great is the smooth - blended beam. THe 60 lumens level is great for indoor use ( I use it for machine repair at work) and also outdoor walking because the spill is so much stronger than many other lights.
THen, if you want to go wild- the high is just hard to believe for a 2AA light!

krazy89

Enlightened
hey guys... man... now i'm really starting to lean towards the Eagletac... :broke:
hmm... with the price of the Eagletac... i won't be able to buy a 4pack of Eneloops and a Quick Charger...

Hey Matt... don't worry about hijacking this thread... lord knows.. i've done it once... or twice...

for your gift... i would probably recommend either the Nitecore D10 with optional Clip... or Fenix L1T V2.0... i think you should be able to find a clip for it somewhere...

the D10 is probably the best choice... however... the UI is a lil tricky for non holics... the Fenix L1T is great... 2 levels... simple click on/off....

KraZy

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Hello Krazy,

Not there's anything wrong with any of the lights previously mentioned but have you given any thought to a headlamp? I find that being hands free can be a great benefit at least while working on a car. Just playing
evilgrin07.gif
advocate with no intention of hijacking the thread as mentioned earlier.

krazy89

Enlightened
hey saab...

yeah... i thought about a headlamp... but i think a light would be more useful... but i could be wrong... i'm not a mechanic or hunter myself... i don't really know...

any good suggestions on headlamps? i should do some research on them too...

also.. i'm not Bush... i do negotiate with terrorists... so hijack away... (is political jokes allowed?!?! :shrug:)

KraZy