CHEAP Rayovac light/tool combo at Lee Valley

hideo

Enlightened
hi--

I'm a newbie who's spent WAY too much time reading all your opinions, thoughtful reviews and comments (my fave thread is "What equipment do people here carry . . .?--I put it on my Visor and am slowly working my way thru it)

I did a quick search of the forum and was surprised to find no mention of my favorite gadget place, Lee Valley Tools (I AM NOT affiliated with them in any way though I send them enough money so that I should be a minority stockholder)

they are running a blowout on a lot of RayOVac light/ multiple tool combos and they must have bought a crapload 'cuz I've ordered two batches for the cars, crawlspaces and gifts.

Neither the light or the multi-tool is exceptional, but for less than the price of a new xenon bulb, one can't complain. Includes a Cordura sheath as well and the tool stows in an O-ringed compartment in the base which will just hold 4 AA spares or a mini survival kit. $3.30 each if you buy 5 or more!! The light takes PR bulbs so overvoltage and mods are an option. It really torques me to lose a $50 Leatherman and I use the pliers more than anything, so hopefully I now have a lifetime supply!

Lee Valley also has Photonpump LED lights in the $10 price range. Haven't seen them elsewhere. Ordered the flashing blue model for nephew's Xmas gifts and was surprised at how bright they were so I ordered more for me. The white light has a simple lens collimator for a narrow bright beam. Not as usable as my ARC LE for navigation, but much brighter in the lens beam. All use 2-4 watch batteries in series. If I get time I'll cobble together a review.

leevalley.com--just punch in keywords above and DON't browse or you'll wind up sending them monthly payments for Japanese saws, forstner bits and gardening stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyway, I really enjoy this group--back to lurking

all the best,

hideo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dorcy Cool Blue, ARC 2 LEs, 1 turquoise and UV, Mag 3 cell,numerous mini-mags, several RayOVac 4AA cheapies, Photonpumps in red, white and blue flashing

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't know about the Photonpump but if you want cheap lights to hand out as gifts, the $1.00 (i.e. 20 for $20) keychain LED lights from Countycomm are really nice. They're nothing special and are momentary only (no constant-on switch), but each comes in its own little clear plastic wrapper like a peppermint, and you can hand them out like candy.