Tactical flashlight for a cop

Seppo_Vesala

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I´m a cop living in Finland. Since there seem to be some knowledgeable people writing in this forum, I was hoping that I would get some good advise on buying a new tactical flashlight for streetwork. My current flashlight is Streamlight Scorpion. However, I´m not satisfied with it mainly because of three reasons: It is not bright enough, it can be scwitched on accidentally (which runs down the battery and burns a hole into the lens), and it doesn´t have a proper momentary switch.

The flashlight should have the following features (or as many of them as possible):
-be about the same size (4,9" long) and weight (4,4 ounces) as Scorpion
-be water and shock resistant
-have a dark, non-reflective surface
-have a tail-cap end switch
-have a "dead-man" -type momentary switch (which burns only as long as the switch is pressed), and a separate constant switch (for example, press for momentary, twist for constant; like Sure-Fire flashlights have)
-be bright enough (at least 15,000 candelas and/or 50 lumens; the more the better)
-have a smooth beam with no irregularities or dark spots
-the batteries should run for at least 1 hour
-the cost of operating should be low (no expensive spare parts, for example)
-the price should be reasonable (preferably less than $100)

additionally, the following features would be nice:
-it should have an adjustable light beam (or holographic diffuser)
-it would be nice if it had a similar rubber sleeve than SureFire lights have (to allow SureFire/Rogers firing technique)
-it should be shaped so it won´t roll on the ground if dropped

The material is not an issue, as long the flashlight is sturdy enough. Also, the power source is of little importance, but if the flashlight is rechargeable, it would be nice if the battery could be recharged when removed from the flashlight, and if it runs on batteries, it should accept regular batteries (no special battieries that are available only from the manufacturer).

I hope some of you could help me out on this one. Also, some first-hand experiences on flashlight fitting these criteria would be great.

Thanks!
<font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like you need a Pelican M6 (no roger's ring though) or if you can wait till june or july the Streamlight Night Fighter will have all of your requirements filled at a decent price.

Streamlight

hope that helps.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BrianC

Newly Enlightened
You're going to have to lose one of the three, assuming "bright enough" means much more bright then a Scorpion:

-be about the same size (4,9" long) and weight (4,4 ounces) as Scorpion
-be bright enough (at least 15,000 candelas and/or 50 lumens; the more the better)
-the batteries should run for at least 1 hour

If you could choose any two of the above, which would you choose?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
like tsg said, the pelican M6 would be a good choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif another option would be the surefire G2Z.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2Z should fit the bill but you will need to add a beam shaper to defuse it.

kev1-1

Enlightened
Hello! Sounds like you need a surefire...you kept saying "like a surefire"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I would suggest a (G)Z2...being in Finland you probably have to pay stupid euro prices (like me)! Therefore I would also suggest checking out www.meridiantactical.com as an alternative.
They are a sponsor here...I am not entirely sure if I am allowed mention them under the new rules, but since if I didn't you might not know they ship internationally...

Size15's

Flashaholic
TigerLight is very heavy and has basically the opposite switch to the one requested. The TigerLight is the least water-resistant of the bright lights I own - it mists up outside in the rain.

The G2Z appears to be what you are specifying:

The flashlight should have the following features (or as many of them as possible):
-be about the same size (4,9" long) and weight (4,4 ounces) as Scorpion YES (5.1" 3.9oz)
-be water and shock resistant YES (from personal experience)
-have a dark, non-reflective surface YES (Black and Olive Drab options)
-have a tail-cap end switch YES
-have a "dead-man" -type momentary switch, and a separate constant switch YES
-be bright enough (at least 15,000 candelas and/or 50 lumens; the more the better) YES (also P61 option is 120Lu/20min)
-have a smooth beam with no irregularities or dark spots YES
-the batteries should run for at least 1 hour YES
-the cost of operating should be low (no expensive spare parts, for example) YES (One spare P60 should be more than enough for a years hard use)
-the price should be reasonable (preferably less than $100) YES (~$65)

additionally, the following features would be nice:
-it should have an adjustable light beam (or holographic diffuser) YES (FM34 BeamShaper)
-it would be nice if it had a similar rubber sleeve than SureFire lights have YES (Adjustable CombatGrip)
-it should be shaped so it won´t roll on the ground if dropped YES (Hex Anti-roll style Bezel is good at keeping the G2Z where it's put)

The G2Z also comes with a TailCap Lanyard.

I have the G2Z in both Black and Olive Drab. I think the G2Z is one of the best SureFires ever released.

Al

Blikbok

Enlightened
Sounds like the G2Z is a near-perfect fit. I have a beamshaper on my E2 and C3 and love it. Definately a must have.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
al: is there any way to convert a G2Z to use rechargeables? i think that would be most ideal for seppo_vesala

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the scorpion is not bright enough and you need a 1 hour run time, then none of the 2 cell Surefires will fit the bill either. I'd suggest a 9P, Z3 or C3, even though it will be longer than you specified. The 9P doubles very nicely as a kubotan as well.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KR1 does not function on the G2Z.
(the AN14 I've got does not function of the three G2Z's I have)

Anyway, there is only one CombatLight that uses the B65 NiCad and that's the 7Z [discontinued]. I have one and will send you photos of it if you email me.

The G2R (B65 NiCad) is long with a short runtime and no LockOut TailCap or CombatGrip. I don't think it's a viable option based on Seppo_Vesala's stated requirements.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
what he's describing is stratego's new line of lights that will hopefully be out soon, no thanks to sf.

a G2z or the a new streamlight would fill the bill.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
That's a tough one... if you could go outside of the length requirements, then I'd go with a rechargeable SL Stinger XT with the momentary-on tailswitch (much better than the SL Scorpion tailswitch), or with the SF C3 with the CombatGrip design. Or even the Z3, again with the CombatGrip design. I just don't know how much 123 lithiums are priced there in Finland. That would obviously impact the practicality nature of using lithiums in a C3 or Z3.

Ahh, by the way... welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's not that easy to get rechargeable lights in Europe either - with UK or European AC powersupplies.
Sometimes it's easier to accept the price rather than try to cheat the system by buying a US product and converting it.

Al

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably make a good rogers style gripring on any light body by taking a three inch piece of snug surgical tubing sliding it over the barrel of the light applying rubber cement to all but the last back 3/4" and then rolling it backwards over itself.

I would wait for the Night fighter 2 (will come with lanyard, grip ring, pocket clip and an on board spare bulb, like your Scorpion) but I still wouldn't discount the Pelican M6, it has the longest throw, brightest light (someone said it was as bright as their 9P and threw farther) and a long runtime for a two cell light according to Brock and Brightnorm's reviews. You don't have to purchase accessories (it has a decent focusing bezel) the light is inexpensive as are the replacement bulbs and it fits all the stated requirements, except the grip ring. It comes with an Uncle Mikes duty holster too. Be sure to get the blisterpacked light as it comes with Eveready cells and not the Tek cells of the boxed version. flashlightlens.com is selling a mineral crystal lens replacement for it now too. For the price of one Surefire 6V plus beamshaper a spare lamp assembly and holster you could buy three PM6's and spare bulbs for all three.

I am thinking that the reason you want a light "like a Surefire" and not a Surefire is the cost and I don't blame you one bit. I love my Surefires but I admit their cost is just a bit above what the people who need them most may be able to budget in. It's odd that the very people the lights were designed for have to really be commited to their gear to afford them as a private purchase and if they weren't issued to certain military and police I doubt they could afford them. My brother-in-law is about to hit his 20 year mark as an NYC cop and he would choke if I told him what my lights cost (my sister would kill me if I got him started on this flashlight business too!).

I have to agree that Chris at Meridian Tactical is great and will ship anywhere.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
apparently the first 6Z prototype was just a 6P with bicycle inner tube wrapped around to make a grip ring of sorts...so like tsg said a PM6 with slight modifications might be what you're looking for. the PM6 is also much cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

al: thanks, i'll email you if i need anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seppo_Vesala

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
You could probably make a good rogers style gripring on any light body by taking a three inch piece of snug surgical tubing

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip! I have to try that one.