How hard is nickle plated finish?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is a difference between types, I'm referring to the one used in the special edition Incendio v2. Hard being in comparison to HAII or HAIII. Thanks.

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
It is very hard. I remember seeing a chart on gun finishes and both were listed. I don't remember the rockwell numbers but the nickel was about the most durable coating out there, short of something like an NP3 finish.

The Robar plating site may have this info.

oregon

Enlightened
The hardness of the nickel plating on the Incendio would depend on the nickel alloy used. The manufacturer might be the best source for hardness in this specific case.

Back in the DAY, before chome came into popularity, automobile bumbers were nickel plated. I love the rich silvery depth of nickel plating. It looks rich to my eyes. Personally, I would consider buying a nickel plated torch for the beauty and not the hardness.

Today many pocket knife bolsters are made of nickelsilver. An allow of copper, nickel and sometimes zinc. It is good stuff for pocket wear.

If the light's potential for surface wear gives you the fidgets then perhaps stainless steel would be a more desirable choice.

oregon

Last edited:

camdz

Newly Enlightened
I think some people are confusing chrome plating with nickle plating.
I agree. Hard Chrome is one of the most durable finishes out there and some get the two confused. I have heard nickle plating isnt the best option (when referring to guns), but it does look good.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys. The dealer (MattK) just replied regarding the specific light too, so I'm set.

He said pretty much what you did: the coating is very hard, and pretty much will not chip. It will, however, scratch, but that can be polished out.

oregon

Enlightened
I am happy to see nickel plating making a comeback. A welcome artistic choice.

Before the 1950s bumpers, plumbing fixtures and some musical instruments were nickel plated.

Enjoy your beautiful, dang that light look pretty, new light.

oregon