Somali pirates (not of the Caribbean)

meuge

Enlightened
This time the genius tacticians of the Somali Pirate Force have really outdone themselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/12/somalia-russia

For illustrative purposes, I'd like to show you the following pictures:

HMS Cumberland (frigate)
cumberland_20060904150515.jpg

Credit: UK Royal Navy

PLUS

RFS Neustrashimiy (frigate) (that's "Fearless" in translation)

n190_somalia_pirates_faina_ap-02.jpg

Credit: www.chas-daily.com

VERSUS

somali-pirates-404_675902c.jpg

Credit: www.telegraph.co.uk

I'll leave the result of this encounter as a mystery for the reader.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's obvious from the bottom picture!!,
the frigates left when they saw the awesome fire power they were about to encounter :laughing:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The pirates probably work from dhow's, sailing ships that can weight from 300-500 tons, sending smaller craft to outrun larger ships.

Bill

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere, the headless body of Blackbeard is rolling over in his grave.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha-ha, torpedo. That'd be bigger than the boat itself. You could swamp and sink that tub with the wake from a Bayliner. But for target practice, a .50 (fired from a helicopter if necessary) should get the job done. If Blackhawk Down was correct, there are loads of Great White sharks off the coast of Somalia, so just scuttle the boat underneath the pirates with a few holes. Let nature takes its course.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It is hard to find these guys, and you have to catch them on the water, probably in International waters. Would need a combination of satellites and ships with aircraft, as well as fast moving chasers. :thinking:

Bill

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
This time the genius tacticians of the Somali Pirate Force have really outdone themselves... I'll leave the result of this encounter as a mystery for the reader.

Actually, you are mispresenting the situation. These pirates may be poor, hungry, and ignorant, but I doubt that they are totally stupid. Their goal is to attack passing civilian vessels, not engage warships. They will try to pass for fishermen or something ("why yes, we always fish with RPG in my country") when warships are in sight, and rob/rape/kidnap/murder as usual when they don't see anything military around. The British used to excel at putting pirates out of business, so they probably still know how. However, as Coop said, they may no longer have the will to deal decisively with the problem.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I duno, like track them with subs back to base and blow everything to high heaven (or hell)?

I think the problem is no country has the will to do it, because there's no incentive.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's time to start hanging them along the Somali coast lines for all to see. Death to every one of those rats who pray on the innocent and helpless. The Brits ought to man a different look-a-like cruise ship each week in order to lure them in to cut them down. . . . . I know, I'm so harsh arn't I. :rolleyes:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Build Q ships again - looks like a freighter - when neing engaged, the sides flip down to discover a couple of high speed turrets mounting BIG guns

EV_007

Enlightened
These lowlife's need to be actively sought out via bait ships backed by heavy artillery and SEALS onbaord. Take out a few "pirates" and they'll think twice before approaching another vessel for fear of visiting Davey Jones locker.