It was three years ago tody

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Pat, my wife, was diagnosed with cancer, 6 weeks after her mother was. Amazing how fast ones life can change, and how much one can learn about oneself. Within a month she ends up with blood poisoning from the port that you hope will feed her the chemicals which may save her, and she ends up almost dying from that (when a doctor tells you she will likely die, and that 10 years earlier 99% of people with her type blood poisoning died, you know it is serious), only to go through 3 operations on her foot and port, and then have to still face chemo and radiation after a month of intravenous antibiotics.

You find yourself sleeping in hospitals, sleeping in an easy chair for over a month, sitting for 6 hour stretches while a loved one is getting chemo, and then radiation, you find yourself holding potty chairs, cleaning up after them when they cannot make it to the bathroom, telling her (and meaning it) she is still beautiful without her lovely hair, and many other things. Above all, being glad you are there to do so for them, generally doing thigs you never concieved of doing before that day. Then there is te realizaton that these things are nothing, nothing because, because you know they are actually the ones going through hell. And the economic implications, trivial, the only thing that matters is life and health.
Amazing how your perspective and outlook can change over short years...

And a big thanks to those in this family of a forum, who helped me with kind words and thoughts during that time. You may be happy to hear that both her and her mother are this day, cancer free.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Lee1959 --

Best of Luck (and health) to you and your loved ones, my friend !

_

Patriot

Flashaholic
:( That's some really heavy stuff Lee.

Sending prayers to your wife, you and the rest of the family.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad all of you made it. As tough as it is for the patient, who often feels chained at the hip to 'big medicine' -- seeming to no longer having a life of their own, I know that it may be very trying -- even life threatening -- for the patients loved ones. I'm glad things are working out.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lee,

Thanks for opening up and those wonderful words CANCER FREE. I found out 45 days ago my brother has colon cancer. His port was put in about a week ago and he will have his first treatment tomorrow. Five weeks of chemo and radiation, then surgery, then more treatments. I cannot stop thinking about it and it has hit my family very hard. His treatments are 150 miles away. He is being treated at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. Your story brings me great joy to hear your loved ones are well. Never take them for granted. In an Ironic kind of twist, this has changed my life for the better. I now eat healthier and take care of myself better now than ever and catch myself looking for the good in a bad situation. I will never look at life quite the same way.

Thanks Lee.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are a very lucky man!!!

Or I should say your Wife and Mother Inlaw are very lucky women!!!

I'm glad someones family is beating the odds. I shall turn on my favorite light in your honor!

Very very cool.

kelmo

nisshin

Enlightened
Good news! Yes, life and health are what really matters; here's hoping for many more years of both for all of you.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very moving post, thank you, and best wishes to you and your family..

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I know the Hell of which you speak and I am sure that your ceaseless and loving care giving has greatly reduced her suffering and is also one of the reasons why she is now cancer free.

All of the best!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
First.than you for the kind words everyone. Its been a helluva ride, but would not change a thing if I could on my side as long as she had to go through it.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for opening up and those wonderful words CANCER FREE. I found out 45 days ago my brother has colon cancer. His port was put in about a week ago and he will have his first treatment tomorrow. Five weeks of chemo and radiation, then surgery, then more treatments. I cannot stop thinking about it and it has hit my family very hard. His treatments are 150 miles away. He is being treated at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. Your story brings me great joy to hear your loved ones are well. Never take them for granted. In an Ironic kind of twist, this has changed my life for the better. I now eat healthier and take care of myself better now than ever and catch myself looking for the good in a bad situation. I will never look at life quite the same way.

Thanks Lee.

I will pray for your brother's full recovery, and for the well being and health of his family support system. It is a long, rough journey for all, but hopefully a successful fight at the end for him. Remember to take good care of yourself too, sometimes that falls to the wayside and your family being sick also will do him no good :).

One thing they might not have mentioned (our doctor did not at first until we mentioned the symptoms) is "chemo brain" as the Oncologist put it. It is the sporadic and random loss, usually temporary, of memory in some chemo patients. Pat has had it to varying degrees at times, some days worse some better, it is slowly but surely going away. Just telling in case you notice it in your brother.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until three weeks ago your story wouldn't have hit home the way it does today. I brought my mother to my house from the nursing home she has been in for the last 4 months. Her health was slowly slipping away along with her. She has severe COPD and her lungs are almost gone. She has a trec tube, needs her lungs suctioned many times a day, she takes breathing treatments every 4 hours and probably takes 20 pills a day. She also can't walk or talk.

However, After three weeks of lifting her on the potty, giving her 4 square meals plus vitamins everyday, giving her physical therapy everyday, making her stand everytime she goes to the potty, she now looks alive again. She can almost walk and her spirits have lifted 200% percent. All I can do is everything I can and hope for the best.

I understand what you went through and it's great to hear your wife and mother in law are doing fine.

God Bless

Bill

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so glad they are now cancer free! I know it is a grueling experience to go through. My prayers that you and your loved ones have health and strength. Cherish your loved ones while you have them and live every day to the fullest.

fieldops

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee and Gang: I wish that I could remember (and will keep trying) these examples of love and heroism when I'm carping about some insignificant problem.

Sharing your stories may, eventually, help some of us to keep things in perspective. Thank you for sharing and I hope the future continues to reward your efforts.

God Bless.