LWRC Carbine

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
I'm just wondering if any of you fine CPF members have heard of this company. I heard about them for the first time today and was told that this was one of the best out there. Does anyone have experience with LWRC or know if they are that good? Thanks for reading! :)

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Does anyone have experience with LWRC or know if they are that good? ...

They are better than many others out there, and in my opinion LWRC holds a place in the top 10, but "best" is really hard to assign in the AR world. There is a point of diminishing returns on your "investment" and it's up to the individual how much they'd like to spend.
If you bought one, I'm sure you'd be happy.

Maybe a visit to the ar15, m4carbine or lightfighter forums is in order?

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
They are better than many others out there, and in my opinion LWRC holds a place in the top 10, but "best" is really hard to assign in the AR world. There is a point of diminishing returns on your "investment" and it's up to the individual how much they'd like to spend.
If you bought one, I'm sure you'd be happy.

Maybe a visit to the ar15, m4carbine or lightfighter forums is in order?

Thanks for the info flownosaj! Good to hear that LWRC is one of the top 10. I understand what you're saying...with as many AR manufacturers as there are, the top 5 or top 10 will almost be the same with most of the difference coming down to user preference. Think their price is at the peak now or will it go up more? I'm figuring if I do get it and decide to sell it later, it would go for a profit.

Thanks for the forums to look at.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also ready to buy an AR. My choice was between a SIG 556 or a POF-USA. I think I will go for the POF.

BTW, A local sporting gun shop near me has sold over 180 AR-15's from after election day.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Gun shops have been making record sales since election day. I was only casually thinking about one day getting an AR-15, until the same day...that seems to have sped up the process a bit...hehe.

My bro got a Sig 556 and it's a sweet gun too. Easy to field strip and clean. Which model POF are you interested in? Those look cool and are gas-piston too.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
That POF Recon looks pretty sweet! Hope you get that discount! Amazing how the different manufacturers with gas-pistons made them differently but with the same superior results.

cchurchi

Enlightened
I had narrowed it down to POF or Noveske when I posted this on THR:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397593&highlight=noveske

LWRC was in the early running but the lead time was too great and I couldn't find any on Gunbroker.com whereas the POF's were plentyfull.
Although they are all fantastic rifles that should last a lifetime, the quality level of the Noveske barrels made me go with them: Best taper, double chomed, M249 machine gun barrel steel, and polyagonal rifleing.

However, if you have to have a piston rifle, this isn't it. I still think DI is more reliable: less parts to break, lighter, and the gas pressure forces the bolt forward as it rotates before shell ejection reducing wear and the likely hood of a broken bolt.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
POF looks real nice too, haven't read anything on Noveske yet but I'll have to go check out that barrel they use. That thread was a good read, some good info for newbies like me there. I wanted to go gas-piston because I plan on getting only one AR and hear they run cleaner so there's less maintenence needed. I really hope I can stick to that "just one" plan...lol. Good points on DI, will have to continue think over this expensive decision.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone tell me what "DI" is.

I was looking at the Noveske a few weeks ago. A lot of people seem to like them.

Rayne, I have an article on LWRC that I cut out of Guns & Ammo Book of the AR-15. Send me your addy if you want it. Or maybe I can scan it. I'll try tonight.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
DI=Drill Instructor

but in the context of this thread I'm guessing it's a shorthand I've never seen for:
DI=Direct Impingement, i.e. gas moving the bolt carrier itself, not a piston.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the offer sunspot, I'll try to find it on the Guns and Ammo website. I'm pretty sure DI stands for what Lightraven said. I noticed recently that the HK 416 and the LWRC SRT look like twins.