sanyo AA (2000 mAh ) to power led flashlight

exodus125

Enlightened
I have a fenix L2DCE Q5 and wanted to know how the sanyo AA (2000 MAh) would work in it when compared to regular alkalines.

Carpenter

Enlightened
IMO, the runtime may not be quite as long, but not having to worry about alkaline leakage and being able to just recharge the cells are a big + in my book.

I assume you are talking about the eneloops? The eneloops not only are the best of the best, they also offer a low self discharge which means they hold much more power inbetween charges than normal niMh cells.

exodus125

Enlightened
yes the eneloops. The reason I ask is because i found a costco coupon booklet that had a x dollars off on a kit. I'll have to see how much they come out to after the discount.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sanyo Eneloop cells are generally considered one of the best available here. That kit at Costco should be <=$30 before discount IIRC

exodus125

Enlightened
so about $20 for 8 AA's, 2 AAA's 4 D adapters, 4 C adapters, and a charger. Just the fact I can use these on my wii remotes and my universal remote eats through batteries and it is the only thing in my house (i think) that uses 2 AAA's batteries makes it worth-while.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The alkalines will provide slightly higher voltage initially within the first few minutes of discharge, and slope downward more aggressively from there. Depending on the alkaline it may also offer longer run time. The eneloops will have a more flat discharge curve, and drop off at the end of their cycle. Whether or not its even noticeable in the Fenix lights (tightly regulated) will vary depending the perception of the end user.

the biggest difference is the reliability provided by the NiMH chemistry (as others have mentioned).

*edit*
$20 is a sweet deal and it includes their proprietary charger. I have 24 ~12 year old Sanyo and Energizer NiMH AA cells left over from my RC hobby days that are still running strong. At 1700-2000 mah they don't have the capacity of the current generation but I get the satisfaction out of knowing with every recharge I am saving $$ (and the earth). Take care of them and avoid over-charging and they will last a LONG time.

Last edited:

exodus125

Enlightened
i tried googling for a link to the discount but cant find anything. I do believe they have the same coupon booklets in the store entrance.

I went an got the book out of my car and it is indeed a $9 off of that aprox $30 dollar kit. On the costco website they have another kit with an instant rebate of $10 but its a more expensive kit. http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10317279

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops are better (last longer) on every mode except low. Cost less, no leakage problems, etc. etc.

insanefred

Enlightened
Sanyo Eneloops and Duracell pre-charged
Both are the highest recommended.
I generally prefer the Duracell, as they are more available and about $1-3 cheaper.

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
For High current nimh perform much better than regular alkalines : here an example of runtime I did for the Fenix E20 :
fenixe20runtimehrs2qd4.jpg

Regards,

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2580558&postcount=37

snakyjake

Enlightened
Here's a good review:
http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

Interesting read on other sites as well: trading off amp hours versus self-discharge.

It seems the advantages of a low self-discharge AA rechargeable kick in at 6 months of no use. Seems designed for people who buy batteries and don't plan on using them for a while.

A few comments:

If not using a device for 6+ months, why not just use alkaline/lithium? Should last even longer, and you get more volts for better performance.

If using up the batteries <6 months, I think the 2700 mAh batteries would be better.

Jake