MC-E Maglite. Two ways to do it... Parallell and 2S2P. Now with beamshot comparison!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you need for this project. A driver sandwich (see below), one CREE MC-E M bin emitter, one heatsink, some 0.3 mm silver wire or copper wire and some tools.

MagMC-E001.jpg

Preparing the emitter for parallell operation means you have to use a bridge to connect all the legs/connections on the emitter. The side with a cut corner is positive. Silver wires beneath the MC-E.

MagMC-E002.jpg

Pretinning the emitter legs..

MagMC-E003.jpg

Silver wire soldered to the emitter legs, it is difficult to get a good looking result. A steady hand and a fine tipped iron are bonuses in this step.

MagMC-E004.jpg

An exceptionally thin layer of Arctic silver epoxy to get a good thermal bond to the heatsink. The epoxy need to cure, best to leave it for 24 hours.

MagMC-E005.jpg

I simply glue the driver sandwich to the bottom of the heatsink and trim the leads to fit. No, that's not a problem with this solution, the driver does not get hot and if the heatsink get hot the led will fail before the driver even get close to overheating.

MagMC-E006.jpg

Soldering the 26 AWG teflon wire from the driver to the parallell prepared emitter legs.

MagMC-E007.jpg

The finished result. It's a bored out 1D Maglite with UCL-glass and an OP alu reflector. Running on 1 D LiION. The beam distribution is almost identical to my SSC P7 DSWOI Mags with OP reflectors, visually that is. The MC-E M-bin Mag has less throw but more intense spill, spill is 15-20 % brighter and throw is ~15-20% less. The parallell solution seem to work very well with the MC-E in a Mag with a good heatsink. I plan on doing a 2 Serial-2 Parallel in a 2D Mag, with AMC 7135 based drivers and 2 D LiION cell or 6 AA eneloop. I'll post that in this thread.

MagMC-E009.jpg

MagMC-E010.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to build a high quality, low cost, regulated 3 Ampere driver for your SSC P7 or parallell CREE MC-E Maglite

This is what you need. Two 1A simple AMC7135 drivers (I buy the 1400mA kind and desolder the last chip at Q2 to make it ~1A) and one 1A AMC7135 multimode driver to control them. Some copper wire, teflon wire 24 or 26 gauge. Three connections are needed between the multimode and the slave sandwich, ~15 mm each. Two 5-7 mm pieces of copper wire to connect battery negative and battery positive between boards on the slave sandwich. One 10 mm piece of teflon wire to connect led negative between boards on the slave sandwich. Two pieces of 20-30 mm teflon wire for connection to the led from the multimode board.

3A3.jpg

Preparing the boards for the slave sandwich. Removing diodes and making sure connections are made between all AMC7135 chips with solder.

3A4.jpg

Soldering some copper wire jumpers in place of the diodes.

3A5.jpg

Making the sandwich. Battery negative is connnected on the edge with copper wire soldered between the boards, the ring around the boards. Not seen is a similar piece of copper wire going from center positive to the other boards center postive (if you miss this it will only give you 2.0A). A short piece of teflon wire going from led negative to led negative.

3A6.jpg

Preparing the multimode driver.
1 will go to battery negative on the slave sandwich.
2 will go to led negative on the slave sandwich.
3 will go to emitter negative.
4 will go to center positive on the top board of the slave sandwich.
5 is going to led positive.

Battery negative and positive connect to the underside of this driver,
negative to the ring and positive to the center.

3A1.jpg

To illustrate the connections.

3A71.jpg

Battery options are 1D or 1C or 1 x 18650 LiION, 3 x D-size NiMH 9000 mAh and up or 4 C/AA size NiMH. It's even possible to use one protected LiION and one NiMH cell as long as the NiMH cell have considerably higher capacity compared with the LiION cell. Everything goes with this driver as long as you keep it under 6V. Preferably under 5V for most of the runtime if that's possible.

Driver bords used can be found in a lot of places, two that are familiar to CPF are DX & KaiDomain:
2-Level: http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1801
16-Mode: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7612
5-Mode: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6190
1400 mA boards: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1886

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

A 2S 2P solution for 2 LiION cells or 6 AA.

The basis for this mod. User downloads excellent 2S2P solution based on AMC7135 drivers (pic borrowed from dowloads thread on the subject):

CreeMECDriverSetupb.jpg

It differs from the diagram above in that my driver output ~1700 mA which will drive each dice at ~800-850 mA. See this thread for that discourse:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201392

The MC-E mounted on a heatsink (for SSC P7 by user H22A), one 2 level 1000 mA AMC7135 based multimode driver and the 700 mA AMC7135 it uses as an extension/slave board. The teflon 26 AWG wire used is shown. The long piece is for switch positive to the first set of positive legs on the emitter, more on that below. The three short pieces are for connecting the boards and the three medium long ones are going to the emitter. The respective lenghts I used: 20 mm, 50 mm and 100 mm.

MagMC-E011sp.jpg

How the extension/slave board should look.

MagMC-E012sp.jpg

With connections to the multimode driver.

MagMC-E013sp.jpg

The first connection to the emitter, this is from switch positive on the emitters positive side, see the cut corner at low right. I simply solder the wire between dice 1 & 2's positive contacts and let the solder bridge the connection.

MagMC-E014sp.jpg

Solder point 2 on the positive side goes to the driver positive out to emitter, the wire normally going from a driver to led positive.

MagMC-E015sp.jpg

First solder point on the emitter negative side. this is opposite the first solder point on the positive side. This one goes to the driver positive in (battery in) , where the wire from the switch module positive would go normally.

MagMC-E016sp.jpg

Second solder point on the negative side connects the driver led negative to the emitter.

MagMC-E017sp.jpg

A really wonderful result. It works great and looks even better. With the 2S2P driver two LiION cells or 6 AA eneloop in a cell holder are the best choices. Max 8.4 Volt.

MagMC-E018sp.jpg

A runtime with 6AA eneloop. This is really good, especially considering it's mildly overdriven and each die get slightly over 800 mA. Going on experience from my SSC P7 Mag builds I'd venture to say that runtime would double with 2 x 5 Ah LiION D-size cells, instead of eneloops in a holder.

MagMC-E2S2Pgraf1.jpg

I used one 1400 mA AMC7135 board that I stripped two AMC chips from according to the pics above. The simple AMC7135 drivers below 1400 mA being sold now are different in design, they are based on the multimode pcb.

Stefan

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MC-E Maglite.

Beamshot time:party::party::party:
It's less than stellar, the bad November storm weather tend to eat light and the shots appear darker than they are in real life. It sucks, but thats the best I can do at the moment. I think the beamshots do give a pretty good idea of how the respective lights function in severe conditions. The whole shoot it rained in varying degrees and it was misty and very windy. But I got the separate shoots under pretty much the same conditions. As a pointer; I started using a Fenix P1D for scene setup preparations and had to switch to a multi emitter Maglite to get enough light.

From the left: Mag 1D CREE MC-E M-bin WC @ 3A, one D-LiION, op reflector. Mag 1D SSC P7 DSWOI @ 3A, one D-LiION, op reflector. Mag 2D CREE XR-E x 4 (each led is driven at 1.5A), quad optic, six eneloop cells in a holder. SSC P7 DSWOI 3D Maglite driven @ 3A, smooth reflector, four C-NiMH cells. Dereelight DBS V2, 3SD Pill with CREE R2 WC @ 1.2A , smooth reflector. Tiablo A9, SSC P7 CSXOI @ 2.4A, OP reflector.

MagMC-Eaalampor.jpg

The MC-E Mag with op reflector has brighter spill than the SSC P7 DSWOI with op reflector. The 3D Mag with SSC P7 D-bin and smooth reflector throws like the DBS with four times the hotspot and many times the spill, incredible. I measure 29 000 lux @ one meter from the 3D. All op reflectors are Chinese, Mag reflectors are from KaiDomain and the Tiablo A9 reflector is from Tiablo.
Some shots have less than optimal focus, that's due to the bad weather and strong gusts of wind moving the tripod. I had the camera in full manual mode and all settings were locked.

First setting. 35 meters to the trees.

MagMC-Eangen0.jpg

MagMC-Eangen1.jpg

MagMC-Eangen2.jpg

MagMC-EangenComp1.jpg

MagMC-EangenComp2.jpg

MagMC-Eangen3.jpg

MagMC-Eangen4.jpg

MagMC-Eangen5.jpg

MagMC-Eangen6.jpg

MagMC-Eangen7.jpg

MagMC-Eangen8.jpg

MagMC-Eangen9bonus.jpg

Second setting. 200 meters to the tree line.

MagMC-EGrus0.jpg

MagMC-EGrus1.jpg

MagMC-EGrusComp1.jpg

MagMC-EGrusComp2.jpg

MagMC-EGrus2.jpg

MagMC-EGrus3.jpg

MagMC-EGrus4.jpg

MagMC-EGrus5.jpg

MagMC-EGrus6.jpg

MagMC-EGrus7.jpg

Third setting.
Just a sandpit to show the differences in the respective beams. It's yellow/brown sand and it affects/exaggerates the tint. ~75 meters to the sand wall.

MagMC-ESandComp1.jpg

MagMC-ESandComp2.jpg

MagMC-ESand1.jpg

MagMC-ESand2.jpg

MagMC-ESand3.jpg

MagMC-ESand4.jpg

MagMC-ESand5.jpg

MagMC-ESand6.jpg

White wall shots with lop/mop structured alu reflectors, MC-E and SSC P7 regarding hotspot composition and throw capability

Hotspots. Both emitters are well centered. All shots are underexposed in varying degrees.
The MC-E hotspot is ~15-20% less intense than the SSC P7 in these lights, similar structured alu reflector from the same supplier and batch, same output within a few percent from drivers built the same way, both have UCL-glass lenses. But the MC-E have stronger spill light by the same amount that the hotspot is weaker.

Here the difference in spill brightness and hotspot intensity show well. Both hotspots are very smooth. Underexposed.

MagMC-EWW7.jpg

Side by side. Underexposed.

MagMC-EWW5.jpg

MagMC-EWW6.jpg

Complete beam distribution with op reflector.

Remember that at only 1 m. this is not the best representation of the beam profile from these emitters, but it does give a pretty good idea how it looks. Slight ring around the spot. Nothing to get excited over. There's a ring even with heavy op reflectors. The ring disappear the moment you start to use it for real.

MagMC-EWW8.jpg

White wall shots with smooth reflectors, MC-E and SSC P7 regarding hotspot composition and throw capability

Hotspots, same settings. MC-E hotspot is splotchier and weaker. Both emitters are well centered. All shots are underexposed in varying degrees.
The MC-E hotspot is ~15-20% weaker than it's counterpart the SSC P7 in these lights, similar Mag original reflector, same output within a few percent from drivers built the same way, both have UCL-glass lenses. But the MC-E have stronger spill light by the same amount that the hotspot is weaker.

MagMC-EWW1.jpg

MagMC-EWW2.jpg

MagMC-EWW3.jpg

MagMC-EWW4.jpg

Last edited:

CampingLED

Enlightened

StefanFS, you must stop doing this: great post, great photos, great review, first to post this, good work........:twothumbs

How does this compare to your P7 lights and where did you get the bare M-bin emitter?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MC-E Maglite. One way to do it...

Nice work :twothumbs.

Could you make some beamshots comparing your P7 and your MC-E Maglites?

rayman

04orgZx6r

Enlightened

Wow great write up....
I know the beamshots will be great, in the mean time can you give us some preliminary thoughts on your P7 vs. M-CE?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

StefanFS, you must stop doing this: great post, great photos, great review, firts to post this, good work........:twothumbs

How does this compare to your P7 lights and where did you get the bare M-bin emitter?

It compares very well, it's as bright as my best SSC P7 D***I bin builds, but as I wrote ~15% less throw but brighter spill by the same amount. I t also has a slightly higher focus point in Mag reflectors. A biased feeling that's not substantiated in any way is that my MC-E Mag gets hotter in extended runtimes.. We'll see about that, it's no problem though, heatwise that is. This emitter probably works just as well as the SSC P7 in parallell applications.

I planned to fill up the space around the the MC-E with glow epoxy, but it looks good as it is. The reflector is bottomed out so there's no light leaking anywhere.

Stefan

Edit!
http://www.amilite.co.kr/ for M-bin WC emitters, they're not as cold as CREE X-RE Q5/R2 WC I have.

Last edited:

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent Work! I Love your solderings skills too :thumbsup:

And, now i know what a P7 Lokks like next to an MC-E!
That little MC-E is TINY! Can't wait till mine arrive :candle:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent Work! I Love your solderings skills too :thumbsup:

And, now i know what a P7 Lokks like next to an MC-E!
That little MC-E is TINY! Can't wait till mine arrive :candle:

It's smaller. This is in a SSC P7 heatsink. What it means for heat we'll see.

MagMC-E007.jpg

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for a great write up again, I'm looking forward to the 2D 6AA version.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stefan,

Nice job on your Mag mod! Very Clean

The glow powder would look nice, depends on your taste. Here is a shot of mine:
IMG_6751.jpg

What reflector do you use? I have good luck with a stock reflector sputtered with clear epoxy paint, but it is hard to get one I like, it took me 3 tries :mad:

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened

:naughty: Nice work as usual ..............BUT....

Beamshots or ban! :D

wildstar87

Enlightened

I'm guessing you could an MC-E on the P4 Heatsink, though it doesn't have the same mass for heat. Yes, BEAMSHOTS!!

serious sam

Newly Enlightened

I really hate this site.....

NOT!

Time for more shopping :broke:

:D:D:D:D

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work, and great tutorial! Thanks for the effort to put all this together.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job on the beamshots - very nice ;)

Will

Thanks,
just the bloody weather, it's so damp, foggy and stormy here right now. Especially the fog/mist complicates things. In setting one some extra mist came billowing past when I shot the DBS, it looks like a laser compared to the others. Saw that when I got home and started working on the images...

/Stefan