Maglite dropin with long runtime: TLE20 or MJLED??

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I have a minimag AA with and MJ LED and a minimag AAA with a terralux tle-20.
Output is comparable, though (I have no lightmeter) I guess the MJ LED is a tad brighter (15 versus 10-11 lumens??).

Which one is consisdered the best quality? This because some friends of mine asked me to get goooood upgrades for their minimags AA and long runtime is important. Output is sufficient with either one.
Personally I don't like the direct drive of the MJ LED, but I admit it seems a nicely made dropin.

So, which one gets the nod?

Many thanks for your insight,
Joris

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if you have the original or the SMJLED (super), but there is that version and also there just the loose LED and there's one with a converter to up the voltage, which I assume it won't run as long as a direct drive, but it's regulation would be better.

TLE-20 gets 10 hours and 58 minutes to 50% and 13.5 hours until failure, according to flashlightreviews.com

22hornet

Enlightened
I don't know if you have the original or the SMJLED (super), but there is that version and also there just the loose LED and there's one with a converter to up the voltage, which I assume it won't run as long as a direct drive, but it's regulation would be better.

TLE-20 gets 10 hours and 58 minutes to 50% and 13.5 hours until failure, according to flashlightreviews.com
Hello,
thanks for the reply. I have the recent SMJLED
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.c...d=940&osCsid=1292c2afc86bd340d13bee1ab56d7ec2
available from the Sanwich Shoppe.
Is thought this one (my model) was direct drive??
If it is regulated, I would like it even more. Anyhow I find little info and specifications about it :-(

Kind regards,
Joris

roymail

Enlightened
I'm a fan of the SMJLED. It's so reliable and very efficient. My digicam just eats alkalines like candy. So when they won't power up my camera anymore, I stick them in my 2AA light that uses a SMJLED, and it lights up bright as Christmas. Then it just runs, runs, runs, etc.

I'm guessing 12-15 lumens output. Not real bright but plenty of light when your in the dark.

Another fan of the SMJLED on this forum is Burgess. He can tell you more about it.

Afraid-of-the-dark

Newly Enlightened
It's been eons since I've checked this site and lo and behold what do I see when I return?! The little (S)MJLED getting some coverage.
This is a great reminder of a terrific little LED that does a great job at a forgotten task, "Shining a little light into the dark".

I think I can I think I can.

I love this forum....

22hornet

Enlightened
I'm a fan of the SMJLED. It's so reliable and very efficient. My digicam just eats alkalines like candy. So when they won't power up my camera anymore, I stick them in my 2AA light that uses a SMJLED, and it lights up bright as Christmas. Then it just runs, runs, runs, etc.

I'm guessing 12-15 lumens output. Not real bright but plenty of light when your in the dark.

Another fan of the SMJLED on this forum is Burgess. He can tell you more about it.
Hello,
That's also my experience: just a tad brighter than the TLE-20. The SMJLED must be around 12-15 lumens. Has anyone actually tested this?

Kind regards to you all,
Joris