Best LED for G2 Continuous use?

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Just got a free G2 and I'm looking to upgrade to a 6V(CR123 Primary) single stage led.
Yes I read the tacked thread(1st page anyway):D
Are there any low cost $12-20 Modules that put out more light than the P60 and can be used continuously without overheating the plastic body?
Ive looked at the P60L but I would prefer a newer LED.
I'm not looking for a blaster but 80 Lumens and 8+ hours of runtime would be good.
Also,I'm not a fan of the twist on switch,does anyone make a cheap clicky.
I saw some mention of a Kroll? tailcap module but that was in some older posts.
Thanks,
Tim

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound sells a cree r2 drop in for $19.95 and I think they have a reverse clicky switch for around 7 bucks.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF P60L with 17670 battery in a G2. A great combination of runtime and light package. The lower voltage 17670 will not be a problem to the G2 plastic head. Of course u can use a metal head but to me it defeats the purpose of the G2 ..............

Chris

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I had a dereelight 3sd q5 in a black G2 with a 6P bezel w/glass. In a warm attic it got pretty hot on high. Not so much in medium.

I think heat will be somewhat of a problem with any cheap drop in.

The G2 does have a metal tube in the body. Using foil or some such to make good contact will help.

DX has anything from single mode P4 to multi mode R2 drop ins.

Have a look!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eight hours continuous use? That's quite a bit.

Do you mine if I ask what circumstances you have in mind that would require that?

greenethumb

Newly Enlightened
Bite the bullet and get a Malkoff M60LL. Will stay in regulation for over 8 hours at 80L+, all with just the regular Nitrolon body and bezel. I bought my first Surefire G2 in August, had the grandkids use it on the beach for seashell hunting 2 or 3 nights, then brought it home and have been using it off and on since then--still with the original batteries! At the same time I bought the G2, I bought a G2L, and the first set of batteries didn't last the first 2 nights with the Surefire P60 module. Since then I bought an M60LF for the G2L body and bought a 9P and put a regular M60 in it-now there's a light! (Oh yeah I'm hooked!) Oh, did I mention I dug my old 6D M@g out from under the truck seat and put a Malkoff 4-6D drop in in it...(Gene figures I should be changing those batteries every 12 months or so).

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
Well I bought a 11836 R2 and a reverse clicky from DX($16.00).
Then I got to thinking and decided to buy a Malkoff M60LL:twothumbs
I just hope the Solarforce switch is decent and I'll be good to go.
I'll figure out something to use the DX R2 module in (metal body).
Man, this can get expensive quick.