Where is the P7 P60 Drop in?

conor

Newly Enlightened
where

is

it?

I have the "200LM" 1 stage DX drop in, in my 6P and am LOVING it. I want it to be brighter. *sigh* come on malkoff

Milky if u read this, think its possible? =)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't think its possible... not without the LED thermally nuking itself. The P60 design is (at best) a poor thermal conductor. The light engine is isolated from any considerable amount of heat sinking aluminum by the large spring. The malkoffs get around this by aborting the spring in favor of the brass housing direct contacting the host body.

IMHO a better thermal design would be to direct mount the emitter onto a chunk of aluminum thats directly attached to the body tube.

just my thoughts.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO a better thermal design would be to direct mount the emitter onto a chunk of aluminum thats directly attached to the body tube.

With so much heat, personally I think it's a good idea to have an un-interrupted thermal path from the emitter to the outer body/air, rather like the raidfire spear.

Last edited:

KowShak

Enlightened
It could be done, but because of the thermal considerations the P7 couldn't be run hard enough to justify having a P7, i.e. it wouldn't be a lot better than Cree XR-E.

You might get better efficiency running a P7 gently than you get with a R2 run hard which would mean that you could perhaps run slightly more current through the P7 than the R2 for the same heat production.

What we need is somebody which the know how to try it out for us!

herulach

Enlightened
What would be easier to package certainly would be an MCE emitter, physically these are only slightly (2-3mm) larger than an XR-E, in a 2 cell host, 2S2P wiring @700ma shouldn't be too hard to manage thermally, and will put out a minimum of 370 lumens (420 if you get a good bin), easily twice the output of an XR-E at the same current.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the same current but 2x more power. Twice the power, twice the heat. Besides MC-E is hard to focus in small reflector. You'll get ugly doughnut hole...

KowShak

Enlightened
Besides MC-E is hard to focus in small reflector. You'll get ugly doughnut hole...

Doesn't the Malkoff M60 use an optic, i.e. no reflector? A Malkoff M60 MC-E could have no doughnut hole should he decide to make such a thing.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the Malkoff M60 use an optic, i.e. no reflector? A Malkoff M60 MC-E could have no doughnut hole should he decide to make such a thing.

TIR optics aren't magic. The Carclo 26mm MC-E plain tight optic has a nasty cross in the beam. Currently the only way to clean it up is through diffusion, which kills any throw and makes it kind of useless.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't bet on it, you get an ugly beam or a very floody beam until you get to larger optics, just like reflectors.

edit: Drat, beaten! ;)

Last edited:

herulach

Enlightened
At the same current but 2x more power. Twice the power, twice the heat. Besides MC-E is hard to focus in small reflector. You'll get ugly doughnut hole...
But at 350ma/die dramatically increased efficiency. That numbers fairly arbitrary, I'd put money on wiring it 4p at 700ma (so c.175/die) still being brighter.

Donut hole may be an issue, but I'd imagine this would only dissapoint white wall hunters.