Retrofitting tritium

antinchip

Newly Enlightened
Apologies if this has been asked before!

I was wondering if there is an easy way of retrofitting tritium vials/inserts to torches (I'm in the UK!) not originally designed for them. I am thinking in particular of a Fenix P2D and Nitecore Extreme. Is it possible to simply glue the tritium vial, or does it need to be set in a recess that would need to be cut (certainly for the P2D although the NE has quite deep grooves in the side of the body)? Are the vials vulnerable to damage if surface mounted (i.e. knocking around in a pocket with car keys and the like)?

I look forward to any replies.

Cheers

Antinchip

Rudi

Enlightened
Yes, the vials are vulnerable to damage if surface mounted. The vial's glass is very thin.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Don't put them on the surface or they will break quickly.

Find a recess or groove deeper than the vial is thick and you'll be fine.

RocketTomato

Enlightened
You definitely want it recessed and you can always add a little more adhesive on top of the glass vial to give it an extra protective coating.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Just use a tritium keychain fob; they're built much stronger than a bare tritium vial, are usually much larger and brighter, and are easily attached and removed as needed. Available over on the Marketplace: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=182082

StarHalosP1D.jpg

antinchip

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Ordered a Merkava 11 glowring and a couple of his 1.5mmx6mm vials and will see how I get on.

Cheers

Antinchip