Fake or Genuine Novatac?

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to upgrade my Novatac flashlight and get one of the new EDC 120E/T/P/ series. Now it seems the best deals can only be found on eBay (If you have any suggestions for alternative sellers, please let me know).

Having said that, I have two questions:

1. How does one know if a Novatac flashlight (purchased on eBay) is a genuine Novatac?

2. Do the EDC 120 series come in blister packs that require a knife to open? Or is the blister pack merely closed shut with clear scotch tape?

brucec

Enlightened
My blister pack did not require a knife to cut open, but was not just scotch tape. It was hinged at the bottom and had two points on the top edge that look to be "welded" together. The sides were open as I remember and I just pulled the box apart at the top. I ordered from yourcornerstore.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for what brucec said

Another concern with Novatac lights is the QC problems with the newer lights
.... the ones with serial numbers 30000+
Dont know if these issues have been addressed now.
Search the forum, there is a thread about it

brucec

Enlightened
+1 for what brucec said

Another concern with Novatac lights is the QC problems with the newer lights
.... the ones with serial numbers 30000+
Dont know if these issues have been addressed now.
Search the forum, there is a thread about it

I have a 30000 series. Of my samples, I don't see any difference in QC between the new and old versions. In fact, I would say that the newer version has improved. For example, it has a positive terminal spring and grippier knurling. It has a nice touch that the "waist" knurling is still the original non-grippy kind so it doesn't feel too rough between your fingers when used in a cigar grip. Of course, I only have a single one of the newer versions, so other peoples' mileage may vary.

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm......It looks like I'd have to get one with a lower serial number to get the brass nipples instead of the newer positive contact spring. I mean, personally, I just think the brass nipples are more durable than the spring even though the newer production run seems to be problem-free.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No fake Novatacs have ever been seen as far as I know. The price on them has come down consistently since their release and it would be hard to make a clone of one of these.

brucec

Enlightened
Hmmm......It looks like I'd have to get one with a lower serial number to get the brass nipples instead of the newer positive contact spring. I mean, personally, I just think the brass nipples are more durable than the spring even though the newer production run seems to be problem-free.

The positive contact spring is supposed to be better at protecting the battery and maintaining contact. It is one of the major upgrades for the Ra lights.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The positive contact spring is supposed to be better at protecting the battery and maintaining contact. It is one of the major upgrades for the Ra lights.

Yeah spring seems like a better design actually. What do we know about current production made in ____ (I.E. overseas or U.S.A.)? I'm not so worried about what the font looks like etc. but I'd like to have a 120P.

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
My blister pack did not require a knife to cut open, but was not just scotch tape. It was hinged at the bottom and had two points on the top edge that look to be "welded" together. The sides were open as I remember and I just pulled the box apart at the top. I ordered from yourcornerstore.

That's actually not bad. I wonder, does the pack show the serial number anywhere? That would be, I would think, another way to prevent sellers from swapping old/used stock with new.

Anyway, thank you for your input.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
From what I understand the spring helps the light withstand recoil better (seems logical).

And yeah the thread cited above talks about issues of ONE light. SF, HDS, Mcgizmo and other makers turn out turds from time to time also. No process if perfect (that's why managers and supervisors were invented).

gjg

Enlightened
That Novatac is garbage! And the Q.A. manager who let it come out is garbage! Come after me, I'm a man! I'm 40!

Yup, THAT Novatac is garbage. But don't blame the QA Manager and damn the entire company for letting some bad product go. The QA manager can't be everywhere inspecting every product. There is individual responsibility - a line worker did some crappy work and then sent it out. No excuse there. But NO manufacturer puts out 100% perfect product 100% of the time. Even 100% inspection of the final product is only 80% effective (read any good book on quality. I have. And I've worked in QC for 15 years.) That's why good companies stand behind their product - And I'm sure Novatac will stand behind this. I would want it back to see how it got through QC - and then fix the systems that let it through. Companies DO have growing pains, and Novatac is no exception.

gg

PS - I'm a man. I'm 49. :nana:

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
Yeah spring seems like a better design actually. What do we know about current production made in ____ (I.E. overseas or U.S.A.)? I'm not so worried about what the font looks like etc. but I'd like to have a 120P.

As far as I know, all Novatacs still say Made in USA. What exactly is meant by that is debatable in today's world. After all, the most important part is made in Korea. I'm American, but I have to say, I am not very impressed with US manufacturing anymore. What I have seen of Korean, Japanese, and Taiwanese operations has really impressed me.