any fisherman in here?

exodus125

Enlightened
Only thing that I am more addicted to than flashlights is FISHING. Wondering if there is any fisherman in here and what types of lights they use and why. :popcorn:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Although I don't do it often and I'm not very good at it, I do enjoy it quite a lot. I've been practicing with a casting reel as of late....the ABU Ambassador Record. I destroyed about 100 yards of line at first but I've got it down pretty well at this point. I suppose I just wanted to learn a new skill. :p

I fish mostly Browns and Rainbow, Crappie and Stripers. I love to eat want I catch if they're of suitable size.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad and I used to fish at least three times a week in the summer time. Mostly just walking the two rivers close us, the Chagrin river and the Grand river. Small Mouth Bass fishing in both rivers is quite good. For years I carried my Surefire G2 then my E2e. Since I started buying LED lights I have not had a chance to go fishing. I probably would take my PD20 and 2 Cell Creemator.

Bill

exodus125

Enlightened
very nice.

I hardly fish at night, I use to go out from time to time for nighttime largemouth bass fishing expeditions, very fun. Usually a small photon light is all i would take to be able to tie lures.

aussiebob

Enlightened
Only thing that I am more addicted to than flashlights is FISHING. Wondering if there is any fisherman in here and what types of lights they use and why. :popcorn:

Me and my dad do a fair bit of fishing, mostly at dusk and sometimes early morning. We fish well into the night and i used a petzl myo xp, untill i got the new zebra light, its a gr8 light for fishing it just illums everything aroung you. I also use the fenix L0D's clipped onto my hat, this is better for walking and longer range illum. On the med setting a single AAA lasts the whole while fishing, people around us use these huge old incan headlamps with 2d size batt packs, that must chew through the batts and be heavy as hell on your head for all that time.

We mostly fish saltwater, around the, lake, rocks and beaches.

Cheers:)

jerry i h

Enlightened
Dawn and Dusk is for fishin'. Midday is for fishin' (drinkin'). Nighttime is for drinkin' :drunk:. For light at night, we rub 2 fireflys together when the car battery runs down.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice.

I hardly fish at night, I use to go out from time to time for nighttime largemouth bass fishing expeditions, very fun. Usually a small photon light is all i would take to be able to tie lures.

It wasn't so much we fished at night, but by the time we started heading back up river to the car, darkness would be on us long before we got there.

Bill

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been known to fish now and then!:rolleyes:

MSaxatilus is short for Monrone Saxatilus or Striped Bass in Latin.

I have a 23' Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman with 250hp Yami 4-Stroke. We've caught stripers to 45 pounds this year, a 200 pound Mako shark and a bunch of bluefin tuna.

When I fish at night I ussually take along lights that won't wreck my night vision. So its ussually an HDS on ultra low or a custom build Surefire L1 with an amber emitter built by Milkyspit.

MSax

exodus125

Enlightened
ive always wanted to catch a striper, closest ive come was a hybrid bass that must have weighted 2 oz. too warm in miami for stripers

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive always wanted to catch a striper, closest ive come was a hybrid bass that must have weighted 2 oz. too warm in miami for stripers

Yeah, way too warm down there for those guys. But you have alot of other neat fish to catch inshore and you don't have to travel 60-80 miles for a shot a marlin and sailfish down there.

Always a tradeoff. If your ever up this way, give me a buzz. I'll put you on the stripers.:devil:

MSax

exodus125

Enlightened
i guess being able to catch a couple dozen dolphin in 15 min over 20 lbs to take home to eat is ok.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify - pretty sure Exodus meant dolphin FISH (otherwise known as dorado, mahi mahi) not dolphin mammals. Don't want to get the petaistas upset.

exodus125

Enlightened
Just to clarify - pretty sure Exodus meant dolphin FISH (otherwise known as dorado, mahi mahi) not dolphin mammals. Don't want to get the petaistas upset.

no, i meant the mammal,,,,why is everyone looking at me funny...

(im kidding) :crackup:

exodus125

Enlightened
true story, my wife had a cousin down from New York visiting us and I was making some Blackened Dolphin on the BBQ. She was outside talking on her cell to someone in New York and I gave her a piece of the fish. And she said, "Man is this good! what is this? " and I told her Dolphin, here in miami everyone knows when you say dolphin with reguards to food, its dolphin fish. So she tells the person on the other line, " Yeah, Im over here eating Dolphin, didnt know it was this good,,,," then theres a pause and I hear her say, " no,,,i dont think its ileagal,,,,,,I dunno let me ask" then she tells me, "how do you catch dolphin, do you harpoon them like whales? "
:sick:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out my signature links here on the bottom of this post.
<; )}}}}>< I fish therfore I am... pic links: '03, '07, '08 click those links and wish with me, won't you rather be fishing?
I wear a head light made by stringing up a MTE 5 mode 26mm or so P7
hdgk4.jpg

I also carry a 5761 mag charger that is doing just under 900 torch lumens,
Another M*gCharger 5761, but why ,
I may be retiring my 3C-cell 5761 because my P7 beats it now,
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2634123&postcount=25 , 5761 it looks like this:

click to enlarge
which also is just under 900 lumens because of the P7 C-cell featured below, a C3 ultrafire P4 cree single 1450 EDC around my neck and now my new P7 that is identical to this one:
FS-RECHARGEABLE 2C P7, Modes, Electronic GID & more features I aslo have wanted to use this flood which is being replaced with a 2700 lumen tri-P7 built into a TM-800x3
FS-7-XRE Q5 Cree, 1600 lumen Scene Flood Light-DIY
I aslo use for spots to see where I am going at night the N30 and a 12V vector shown in this thread
IMPROVE THE N30 HID add a 225 Lumen R2 LED area light and GLOWING LED locators
I must not forget the venerable propane coleman lanterns, sometimes I hang them over the gunwhale for crappie fishing.
I grew up on the shores of a lake in UP MI, James Hoffa had a place on the opposite shore. I have heard his son, current president of the teamsters talk fondly of that lake too. It influenced me as we participated in getting the DNR to support a Northern Pike stocking of the lake. Now that is all I think about, fishing pike. I went to school to be a natural resources LEO, got them to say that I "are" a biologist and wildlife biologist. But I went into plain old LE and you should meet the animals I now get to deal with for the last 35 years!

Last edited:

ypsifly

Enlightened
I love to fish. No boat so I'm mainly a river rat. I fly fish and tie my own. I also use lures and live bait on a regular basis. I also fish through ice. All of the above day and night. The last two years have been mostly at night.

At night I usually set up a heavier bait casting rod with an Ambassadeur C4 for live bait. I won't still fish at night without a reel that has a clicker. While that is set I'll cast flies (on a 5, 6, or 8 wt) or lures (Ul to Heavy spinning rods) or I'll even drift live bait on a noodle rod.

For lights my must have is a headlamp. I've been using ROVs. This past season was all about the 1xAA SE. I can tie knots with the reds and check my still rod yards away with the high beam undifused.

I also like to carry a bright hand held for making my way from the truck to my spot. Recently I've taken a Task Force Cree and I really like it. Its nice to be able to see if anyone is using my favorite spot from where I park.

I also have my usual EDCs on me. My winter jacket has a G2/P61 in the breast pocket and I always have a Wenger SA knife with a Streamlight Nano on the fob.

DaveG

Enlightened
I do most of my fishing fresh water in Maine.Have used a Inova X-5 for a few years and a PT EOS 1st gen,have worked well for me when I go out night fishing.