Custom P7 + 16340

Hrvoje

Newly Enlightened
Few days ago I received package from Kai with some nice gadgets. My intention was to make small but still useful flashlight with P7 emitter inside. First plan was to build complete body, but then I found extension tube from my old Surefire P6 and decided to use it. After two afternoons flashlight was finished. LED is P7 from Kai (DSXOJ), driver also (8x7135). This is not the best combination, but it work. Clicky switch is from DX. To minimaze heating, LED heat sink and reflector are made from aluminum bar stock. Battery is one 880 mAh protected 16340. From fresh battery LED consumption is about 1.5 A. When battery is almost empty, current is about 0.7 A. After 15 min. flashlight is warm, but not hot. Run time is about 30 min. Because reflector is in fact conical hole, beam is not ideal, real flooder, but I ordered some lens and will play with it.
Anyway, this is my first mod, next time will be better.

Hrvoje

mod2.jpg

mod1.jpg

mod3.jpg

mod4.jpg

mod5.jpg

P7mod1.jpg

P7mod2.jpg

beam.jpg

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's some very nice work!

But I think you may want to think about a LiFePO4 cell. With those there's less of a chance of the light turning into a pipe bomb on you.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a great looking piece of work, before you make room in the front for a reflector try stippling the one you made.
You could try polishing it up more with some Flitz on a dremel polishing tip first.
Clean off any oil or wax thoroughly.
Then mask off the aluminum you don't want sprayed and give a short sweep of Krylon Clear to the conical reflector. Not enough spray paint to coat it just enough to bead up.
I also like Frosted Glass for more flood but you don't need that.
This should scatter your light more but bring the 4 spots in the center into a single spot.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and if the LED picks up dust for lack of lens Isopropyl Alchohol is the manufacturers suggested method of cleaning the silicone dome.
Less water content the better, I use Qtips to wipe it on with great results.

Hrvoje

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip. I have some pure Isopropyl (Pro Analisi grade), didn't know that I can clean silicon dome of P7 with that. I already tried to make some kind of parabolic reflector with Dremel, then polished inside surface. Quality of beam is slightly improved, but four spots are now more visible. Just ordered this lens from DX:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13903

As you noticed, I leave enough material to play with various combinations.
Regarding battery, as RC modeler I have few top line chargers, so I can constantly control condition of the battery. I know that 1.5 A is on the edge for 16340, but so far so good. Maybe I will make new extension tube for one 16500 battery, just to be on the safe side.

Hrvoje

P.S. What is Krylon Clear?