Wanting a 2 x 18650 super thrower to beat the DBS V2

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,
I am looking for a torch that takes 2 x 18650s

What is the best for throwing long distances?
Is there one out there that will out throw the Dereelight DBS V2 R2?

cheers :thinking:

KowShak

Enlightened
If you want a light like a DBS that takes 2 x 18650s would the best option be a DBS with an extension tube?

Does anybody make an extension for the DBS?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks,

What is the best for throwing long distances?
Is there one out there that will out throw the Dereelight DBS V2 R2?

cheers :thinking:

The Regalight EDC may outthrow the DBS - it has a higher lux number at 1m, although I haven't seen long range testing yet.

Other than that, you'd have to get an aspheric to outthrow the DBS with an LED. The furthest throwing aspheric is Saabluster's DEFT, but I'm not sure if or when it's still available. There are also aspheric mag modding kits, or you could mod it yourself.

As for 2x18650, I don't think any outthrow the DBS. They are much brighter overall, but the DBS's reflector puts a spot out very far.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at this post: it out throws the DBS. The WF-800 is the 2x18650 version of the same light.

I beg to differ. The post you linked said that they are the same, not that the WF-600 is brighter. For some reason, the beamshots are taken at 3m, so they are useless concerning throw. And last, others who have owned both have said that the DBS clearly throws further. So while it may be close, I don't know how you get from reports varying from the WF-600 throwing less to as far as the DBS to saying that the WF-600 throws further.

BMF

Enlightened
Originally Posted by BMF
Take a look at this post: it out throws the DBS. The WF-800 is the 2x18650 version of the same light.
I beg to differ. The post you linked said that they are the same, not that the WF-600 is brighter. For some reason, the beamshots are taken at 3m, so they are useless concerning throw. And last, others who have owned both have said that the DBS clearly throws further. So while it may be close, I don't know how you get from reports varying from the WF-600 throwing less to as far as the DBS to saying that the WF-600 throws further.

Well, I just copy/paste from the link:

Seems like DBS v2 has the most brightness spill but in throw the winner is WF 600=DBS v2>Spear .

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened

Seems like DBS v2 has the most brightness spill but in throw the winner is WF 600=DBS v2>Spear .

Yeah but the biggest problem is at 3m you can't really judge throw too well...

I have a DBS V2 already which mounts on my rifle but was looking for something to hang around my neck that was simular or better than the DBS and with a bigger spot....

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah but the biggest problem is at 3m you can't really judge throw too well...

I have a DBS V2 already which mounts on my rifle but was looking for something to hang around my neck that was simular or better than the DBS and with a bigger spot....

The only flashlight that might be able to fit that role is a Regalight EDC. Personally, I'm constantly checking back to see :)

Actually, I'm surprised you want more throw than the DBS. I have one too, and I don't see how I could need more throw. But then again, I'm not really using it...

Also, neoseikan is working on a SSC P7 light he calls the legion II. It is supposed to fit your bill very well - wider hotspot, much more overall light, and also outthrows the DBS. But it won't be small enough to hang around your neck - it uses 3 18650s side by side. However, this could be quite a while away - he's just now shipping the Spartanian II, which he announced over half a year ago.

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened
I looked real hard at those Regalights but when I saw a run time of only 20mins or less had me scratching my head... :thinking:

I wonder how long before someone modifies the body to suit 18650s to get longer run times? :naughty:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked real hard at those Regalights but when I saw a run time of only 20mins or less had me scratching my head... :thinking:

I wonder how long before someone modifies the body to suit 18650s to get longer run times? :naughty:

I'm thinking exactly the same thing...

Hopefully Regalight will catch on and market their own 18650 tube.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

"SEEMS LIKE"

This guy SEEMS to be only going by his photo, which is useless. He wasn't taking lux readings, or under exposing the shots enough to actually show which light had the brightest hot spot.

If the WF 600 out threw the DBS we'd be hearing a lot more about it, but from the testing done by others with lux meters the DBS comes out on top.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
DBS with MC-E won't be a thrower because MC-E has wide beam and with reflector produces even less throw than P7...

No way! WF-600<DBS=Spear. Yes DBS=Spear. At least my Spear is focusable and I can do it so that at 200m it's at least as good as DBS. At 1m hotspot is weird and not so intensive but it gets better at longer distance. Much better...

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=5619
This can be low-cost competitor. It has huge (deep) reflector - 42x59mm and extremely focused beam!

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way! WF-600<DBS=Spear. Yes DBS=Spear. At least my Spear is focusable and I can do it so that at 200m it's at least as good as DBS. At 1m hotspot is weird and not so intensive but it gets better at longer distance. Much better...

The DBS is focusable too and with it's larger reflector should be capable of beating an optimized Spear, but it may come down to the LED and how well it's peforming. I have an R2 in my DBS, which gives it an edge over my Spear with a Q5.

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

:thinking:

What I would like to see is a battery tube for the DBS that fits two AW C-cell li-ion batteries - more juice than the 18650 yet still very comfortable to hold. A 2-cell battery won't be an EDC light, so might as well use the extra space for more capacity - could be great for extended outdoor activities.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it hasn't been made clear already Dereelight does make an extension for the DBS so it can run 2 x 18650's. You just need the proper pill to hand the extra voltage.

What Dereelight should do is make a super turbo head for the DBS that allows you to swap out the normal DBS head for an even larger one with an even larger reflector, which also contains a special pill with more heat sinking and a Cree R2 at 1.4A or great. :)

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
If it hasn't been made clear already Dereelight does make an extension for the DBS so it can run 2 x 18650's. You just need the proper pill to hand the extra voltage.

What Dereelight should do is make a super turbo head for the DBS that allows you to swap out the normal DBS head for an even larger one with an even larger reflector, which also contains a special pill with more heat sinking and a Cree R2 at 1.4A or great. :)

Yes, it exists but only for the v2 (those of us who have the original DBS are out of luck) and for the *SM pill which does not have the awesome regulation of the 3SD pill :thumbsdow.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
*SM has very good regulation with 2xLi-Ion but it gives 1A to the emitter instead of 1,2A.

I have one of these on its way - prob about halfway here from HK
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=5618
just for something to play with :shakehead:whistle::thinking:

It has the same reflector as the one from my link.

The DBS is focusable too and with it's larger reflector should be capable of beating an optimized Spear, but it may come down to the LED and how well it's peforming. I have an R2 in my DBS, which gives it an edge over my Spear with a Q5.

Difference between Q5 and R2 is very tiny... DBS reflector is bigger itself but has very similar 'width x depth' ratio. That's why properly focused Spear is very hard to beat.