Nitecore high pitched whine on max...

iamstuffed

Newly Enlightened
I recently received a Nitecore D10 with a Golden Dragon Plus LED and it seems to have a high pitched whine when run at max output on NiMH batteries. Is this the case for the other Nitecore lights?

This particular light seems great and has a super small form factor, but I'm interested in getting some for Christmas gifts and don't want the noise.

If you have a Nitecore D10 or D20, does yours whine on max? What version do you have? You may not be able to hear it since people lose the ability to hear higher frequencies as they age, but I'm still interested in determining which versions whine.

Newly Enlightened
I have the same light and it has the same noise on high. For now I just have an alkaline in it and can only hear anything when I put it right next to my ear. In general use I don't hear any noise from the light.

p97z

Newly Enlightened
I have two with cree's and there is no whine. I run them on NiMH and 14500's still no whine. I have two different from what i can tell...

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure most do. Typically, if they don't, nobody posts. Mine doesn't. In fact, I don't have ANY lights that whine.

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I just checked again and it is not making the noise. It did when I first got it though.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I recently received a Nitecore D10 with a Golden Dragon Plus LED and it seems to have a high pitched whine when run at max output on NiMH batteries. Is this the case for the other Nitecore lights?
Miy GDP D10 does the same on max on NiMH - whine drops off as battery decays or lower output selected. No whine on 14500 on max. Neither of my two Cree D10s whine on any setting.

From what I've seen posted here, seems more common to get whine on the GDP versions on standard batteries (or at least, more commonly reported). I have another GDP D10 on order as a gift, and will update my review when I get it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
How loud is it? Do you have to hold it to your ear to hear it?
Mine is quite noticeable just holding it in your hand (at least in a quiet room). Actually one of the louder examples of inductor whine I've come across - similar to my DBS DI pill. I run that GDP D10 on 14500 though, which is completely quiet (go figure).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is quite noticeable just holding it in your hand (at least in a quiet room). Actually one of the louder examples of inductor whine I've come across - similar to my DBS DI pill. I run that GDP D10 on 14500 though, which is completely quiet (go figure).

The D10 with a NiMH is just whining because it wants a 14500 instead.

D10 with NiMH :mecry: :awman:

D10 with 14500 :D :goodjob:

iamstuffed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments. Maybe I'll give the Q5 versions a try. The whine on the GDP version is loud enough that I wouldn't ever buy another one.

jugg2

Enlightened
I have the Q5 EX10 and it whines most of the time, low or high; but my friend has the Q5 D10 and his whines sometimes, but not other times...?

iamstuffed

Newly Enlightened
Bummer. Maybe I'll wait for more responses from users. I just don't want a light that whines. I have a JetBeam Jet III Pro ST and several cheapie MTE P7 lights from DX. None of them exhibit any audible whine on any setting.

I was actually surprised that the D10 emitted some audible noise, but since I'm giving it as a gift, I don't really care. :D The form factor is awesome!

jugg2

Enlightened
My first EX10 did not whine at all, but it burnt up. The replacement whines though. I'm not crazy about it, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Roble

Newly Enlightened
My buddy at work has one and can hear it, he always asks me if I hear it but I never do. All that loud music as a kid finally paid off:thinking:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why some manufacturers put a glob of uba at the base of the inductor (or all over it).