River Rock Nightfire 2C Review!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a review of the River Rock Nightfire 2C LED Flashlight (NF2C from now on). The light was purchased from Target for $27.49. It does seem to be quite a hard item to come by, so you might want to call around to make sure your local Target has it in stock before wasting your time.

The item number is 092080584.

IMG_2116small.jpg

River Rock Nightfire 2C

CONTRUCTION:
The NF2C has the best construction of any budget retail store flashlight I have personally seen. The threads are very smooth even before applying any lube. The tailcap has some slight checkered knurling so that it is easier to remove for battery replacement.

The NF2C uses a forward clickie which is located on the end of the light. This means that if you press slightly on the tailcap the light will activate momentarily, and when you press the tailcap further the light will turn on constantly. This is the same style switch as used in all large Maglites.
Even though it uses a forward clickie the NF2C can tail stand. It also has a small hole on the tailcap for lanyard attachment.

The NF2C uses a plastic lens as do most budget retail store flashlights. It has a nice relatively deep textured reflector. The head also has some crenulations so that light escapes when the head is placed down on a surface.

SIZE/WEIGHT
6.8" x 1.5"
10.5 oz (with 2C batteries installed)

IMG_2113small.jpg

River Rock Nightfire 2C vs. Maglite Minimag 2AA

OUTPUT:
The packaging of the NF2C claims that it is 136 lumens, but as always the real out the front lumens are quite a bit lower than that. Here is what I got using my lightbox/lux meter:

92 lumens
1,240 Lux

What impressed me the most about this light is the incredably smooth beam! It has the smoothest beam I have EVER seen on a flashlight! If I saw a beamshot of this light and didn't know any better I would think it used a Seoul emitter and definetly not a Cree. I don't know how none of the high end LED flashlights can get a perfectly smooth beam with a cree and a cheap flashlight from Target can.

BEAMSHOTS:
IMG_2096small.jpg

River Rock Nightfire 2C Beamshot

IMG_2124small.jpg

River Rock Nightfire 2C White Wall Beamshot

IMG_2126small.jpg

Taskforce 3W 2C White Wall Beamshot

RUNTIME:
I have no way of testing this, so here are the claims as stated on the packaging:

21 hours at maximum light output
60 hours at useful light output

Keep in mind these that these runtimes are most likely grossly exaggerated. I don't think there is any light that is nearly 100 lumens and runs for 21 hours at maximum brightness. I would expect several hours of very bright light and then many hours of diminishing light after wards.

PROS:
- One of the smoothest beams of any flashlight on the market
- Forward clickie
- Better than average build quality for a light of this price
- Lanyard attachment hole

CONS:
- Plastic lens
- Less output than I expected

CONCLUSION:
I own quite a few of the best bang for your buck retail store flashlights, and this is the one that gets the most use. It doesn't have anywhere near the throw of the other budget flashlights (2C Taskforce,3C Rayovac,2D Husky) but it makes up for it with better overall build quality and a much nicer beam.
I would highly recommend this flashlight for anyone looking for a great everyday flashlight for indoor or close range outdoor use.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review. I just saw this light yesterday at Target and was hoping someone would offer some opinions. Might have to add it to my Christmas list.

Geoff

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. None of our local Target stores sell this model (yet). I will remain on the lookout.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does seem to be quite a hard item to come by
I dropped by my local Target tonight on the way home looking for the Energizer 3W 2AA light (no luck, only the 1W), and they had about 10 of these NF2C's on display. They also had a couple of NF2AA lights, but they only claimed 60 lumens or something :( If they also said 136 lumens I would have bought one. Heck, you can get 1AA lights as bright as that 2AA light.

I own an NF2C that I keep in the car. It is a nice light, but a little too bright for close up work like peering under the hood or reading maps. I should probably put a lower powered light in the car as well for close up jobs.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I just saw this light yesterday at Target and was hoping someone would offer some opinions. Might have to add it to my Christmas list.

Geoff

As long as you don't expect it to be a retina scorcher I think you'll really like it! Make sure to pick one out yourself because you are going to want to make sure that the emitter is perfectly centered. There were 6 of these at the Target I bought mine from, and 3 of them were perfectly centered while the others were only slightly off center (nothing like the Husky 2D's I had to return). I guess it's my undiagnosed OCD coming out or something, but I always make sure to pick out the very best one possible.

Thanks for the review. None of our local Target stores sell this model (yet). I will remain on the lookout.

I called every single Target in the Philadelphia area and NONE of them had it in stock. Low and behold the closest Target to my house had them in stock.
I'd call around and ask them if they can order one for you. You never know, it might work? :grin2:

toolpig1

Enlightened
I love a compact 2C light and there are so few that are worthy. The TF Cree doesn't appeal to me with its sharp edges, O-rings for decoration, crappy switch, and laser like beam. The Husky and various auto parts store versions aren't any better. Your review has me wanting this light in a bad way! They haven't hit the NE Ohio area yet, but if anyone sees one, let me know.

Edit- After posting these comments this morning, I had some errands to run and I'm just down the street from a Target. Finally, my store had them! I'm looking forward to trying it out this evening.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer,

I purchased a flashlight in Sweden which is very similar to this light, but at an other name. The same 2C cell and stated
60 hours at useful light output.

When I compared to my Maglite 2D with terralux dropin I estimated the total brightness to be very equal which seems to be correct with your measured 92 lumens. The 2D/Terralux has around 100 lumens.

I found the 2C LED to be more useful than the Mag/Terralux because the narrower beam (nowadays I consider Maglites have unnecessary wide beam really suitable for distances closer than 5meters) and therefore much brighter spill than the Maglite. Also the beam was very smooth as you mentioned.

Very soon I could establish that the statement of "21 hours at maximum light output" was VERY exaggerated. Not more than some hour and the brightness was strongly decreased. But it was with alkalines and this light has no regulation. I suppose this light will work great with recheargable NiMh cells. Though the beginning output will be decreased to around 74 lumens the average brightness will be much higher and already after an hour or so the light will be brighter than with alkalines.

Unfortunately NiMh C and D cells are hardly available in the most stores here. And in the cases they are it's 2200 mAh. Less than the available AA cells, so the point get lost with using larger cells!

Edit: the claiming of 136 lumens during 21 hours is just another example of unfair marketing. But if using 5000-6000mAh NiMh cells you would possibly get between 60-70 lumens during that time. Which in my opinion is a very attractive alternative! A decent brightness for a very long time in a flashlight still quite compact.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love a compact 2C light and there are so few that are worthy. The TF Cree doesn't appeal to me with its sharp edges, O-rings for decoration, crappy switch, and laser like beam. The Husky and various auto parts store versions aren't any better. Your review has me wanting this light in a bad way! They haven't hit the NE Ohio area yet, but if anyone sees one, let me know.

I know how you feel. I recommended to Fenix a long time ago in a survey that they should make a single stage compact 2C flashlight with a forward clickie and price it for the masses. Obviously this never happened, but the Nightfire2C is pretty close to what I would have wanted.
I'm not sure if it works like this, but you might be able to call a Target that has them in stock and have them ship it to you. I did this with Lowe's before and they had no problems.
Here is the phone number of the store that I bought mine from. I know that they have at least a few of them in stock:

(518) 247-4961

adirondackdestroyer,

I purchased a flashlight in Sweden which is very similar to this light, but at an other name. The same 2C cell and stated
60 hours at useful light output.

When I compared to my Maglite 2D with terralux dropin I estimated the total brightness to be very equal which seems to be correct with your measured 92 lumens. The 2D/Terralux has around 100 lumens.

Edit: the claiming of 136 lumens during 21 hours is just another example of unfair marketing. But if using 5000-6000mAh NiMh cells you would possibly get between 60-70 lumens during that time. Which in my opinion is a very attractive alternative! A decent brightness for a very long time in a flashlight still quite compact.

Regards, Patric

Others have said it gets around 2 hours of high brightness and another 2 hours of diminishing output before it turns off.
Not bad runtime IMO, but a far cry from the 21 hours of maximum light output that they claim.
My lightbox is very close to exact and in most cases has proven to be a little bit low. If this light was tested in an intragrated sphere I would expect it to be around 95-100 lumens.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting review, especially the lux numbers. I'd been wondering about that. It confirms my suspicion that my L1D slightly out throws the RR 2C.

My only complaint about the RR is the switch is very soft (doesn't take much force at all to activate). But, the tailcap can be unscrewed to lock out the switch.

Anyway, it's a great close range light, because it's got no intense hotspot to blind you with bounce-back.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A general note when measuring run time with alkaline batteries: alkalines do not handle continuous discharge well and suffer premature voltage sag under non-stop loads. To obtain the maximum run time and capacity with alkalines they need to be run intermittently, e.g. 5 mins on, 55 mins off. This may not get to the 21 hours claimed, but it may extend the battery life considerably over a continuous run test.

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Adirondackdestroyer thanks for the review. I knew it wasn't 136 lumens and would have guessed around 60-80 lumens.

you said quote: I know how you feel. I recommended to Fenix a long time ago in a survey that they should make a single stage compact 2C flashlight with a forward clickie and price it for the masses. Obviously this never happened, but the Nightfire2C is pretty close to what I would have wanted.

I did the same last year no luck. I believe 'they' are looking into it.
Totally agree with your assessment of the NF2C. Smoothest beam in a 2C light. Good flood / throw design. I find it to be functionally useful from 3 feet to perhaps 30-40 feet range at night. That is, its great indoors and out and that range represents the majority of my usage.
I also agree it is pretty close to what I've been looking for as well. Got rid of my task force and AutoZone 2 C lights after using this one Its much better built. While the construction is not in the same category as a Maglite (IMO its close though), its much better than the Task force and I prefer it because of its smaller size and better beam than the Maglite.

Come on Fenix ..... there's a market out there!

I've used the powercell NiMH C cells on the light and plan to do some run time tests and then plan to compare with alkaline cells.
I let the light run all night one day last week (approx 8 hours) on the original alkalines and it still had plenty of light the next morning

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if using 5000-6000mAh NiMh cells you would possibly get between 60-70 lumens during that time. Which in my opinion is a very attractive alternative! A decent brightness for a very long time in a flashlight still quite compact.
Regards, Patric

When I count about it I think it will be quite unrealistic to expect a runtime of up to 20 hours with any C battery. A Fenix E20 provides 109 lumens for three hours using 2700mAh cells. If you have 5000+ mAh NiMh cells it will maybe provide 8-10 hours with 70 lumens...
The question is how a LED light like the Fenix TK10 can provide 60 lumens in 10 hours with CR123 cells of ca 1500mAh? Something is strange here...

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, I'm glad you found the review useful. I think the reason it doesn't seem very bright is because of how smooth the beam is, and the lack of throw. The NF2C is definitely a short range light compared to most Cree based lights on the market.

At this point I don't expect Fenix to come out with any C cell based flashlights. If they were going to do that they would have a long time ago. It's really a shame because I think a C cell flashlight is the best option for the everyday consumer. If they made a single stage 2C light around 60 lumens with a slightly recessed forward clickie (to prevent accidental activation) it would sell like hotcakes. The runtime would be fantastic due to the great efficiency of Fenix circuitry. This would be the ultimate flashlight for the non flashaholic...... Fenix are you listening??? ;)

I'll be using only Alkaline cells in my NF2C, so it's nice to know they can run for quite some time before dying out. I wonder if anyone could do a runtime test for this light to see exactly what kind of runtime we're looking at.

Adirondackdestroyer thanks for the review. I knew it wasn't 136 lumens and would have guessed around 60-80 lumens.

you said quote: I know how you feel. I recommended to Fenix a long time ago in a survey that they should make a single stage compact 2C flashlight with a forward clickie and price it for the masses. Obviously this never happened, but the Nightfire2C is pretty close to what I would have wanted.

I did the same last year no luck. I believe 'they' are looking into it.
Totally agree with your assessment of the NF2C. Smoothest beam in a 2C light. Good flood / throw design. I find it to be functionally useful from 3 feet to perhaps 30-40 feet range at night. That is, its great indoors and out and that range represents the majority of my usage.
I also agree it is pretty close to what I've been looking for as well. Got rid of my task force and AutoZone 2 C lights after using this one Its much better built. While the construction is not in the same category as a Maglite (IMO its close though), its much better than the Task force and I prefer it because of its smaller size and better beam than the Maglite.

Come on Fenix ..... there's a market out there!

I've used the powercell NiMH C cells on the light and plan to do some run time tests and then plan to compare with alkaline cells.
I let the light run all night one day last week (approx 8 hours) on the original alkalines and it still had plenty of light the next morning

Radiophile

Enlightened
I really like mine. It's build quality is much better than the LTF2C or AAP2C and the beam is more useful.

Last time I was in Target they had gotten more in stock and the peg they hang on was full. Looks like they're stocking up for the holiday shopping season.

I also noticed a full peg of RR K2 lanterns.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like mine. It's build quality is much better than the LTF2C or AAP2C and the beam is more useful.

Last time I was in Target they had gotten more in stock and the peg they hang on was full. Looks like they're stocking up for the holiday shopping season.

I also noticed a full peg of RR K2 lanterns.

Good, hopefully more members will be able to find them. I had a hell of a time getting this one!
I saw the RR K2 lantern as well, but it didn't do anything for me. I would have picked it up in a second if it used a Cree.
I did pick up a Rayovac Extreme 300 Lumen 3D lantern the other day and am VERY VERY impressed!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point I don't expect Fenix to come out with any C cell based flashlights. If they were going to do that they would have a long time ago. It's really a shame because I think a C cell flashlight is the best option for the everyday consumer. If they made a single stage 2C light around 60 lumens with a slightly recessed forward clickie (to prevent accidental activation) it would sell like hotcakes. The runtime would be fantastic due to the great efficiency of Fenix circuitry. This would be the ultimate flashlight for the non flashaholic...... Fenix are you listening??? ;)

I agree with you. A 2C flashlight is still quite compact and not too heavy. In my opinion the thicker tube will make such a light to be more comfortable in the hand than a 2AA light. The 2C I mentioned in a post above surely is from the same manufacturer as the River Rock Nightfire. I was dissapointed of the fast diminishing brightness and gave it to a friend. But it had be interesting to try with NiMh-cells instead. Slightly lower output from the beginning but a higher average output and better runtime would be the result.

A Fenix 2C with around 60 lumens wouldn't just be a great light for non-flashoholics. I would grab one too...:twothumbs

Regards, Patric

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have 5000+ mAh NiMh cells it will maybe provide 8-10 hours with 70 lumens...
The question is how a LED light like the Fenix TK10 can provide 60 lumens in 10 hours with CR123 cells of ca 1500mAh? Something is strange here...

The strange part is thinking in term of Ah instead of thinking of capacity in terms of watt hours.

cr123 >>> 3 volts * 1.5Ah = 4.5 Wh
C Nimh >>> 1.2 volts * 5Ah = 6 Wh

So the CR123 has about 75% of the energy of the C Cells using the nominal capacities instead of 30 percent if you tried comparing mAh ratings. From their you can start looking at the other advantages the higher voltages give you, like buck circuits usually being more efficient. That narrows the real power supplied to the LED gap even more.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
baterija,

Thank you for that information! It's very instructive to participate in this forum. Even I have something new to learn each day! :twothumbs
I really thought that the Ah showed the total energy of the battery, undependent of voltage.

Actually that does mean an AA-cell 1,2V NiMH of 2700mAh has less energy than a 3V Cr123 of 1500mAh! I thought it was the opposite.
1,2*2,7= 3,24 Wh
3*1,5=4,5 Wh
4,5/3,25=1,38 times more, instead of that the NiMh has 1,8 times more than the CR123!

Conclusion is that the lithium battery has very large energy amount in relation to the size!

But how to explain that the EagleTac P10A2 Link with 2 AA cells has practically the same brightness and runtime as the Fenix TK10 with 2 CR123? Either it's more efficient bulb or the statement is exaggerated?
The runtime for 60 lumens is slightly lower, however.

Regards, Patric

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2C I mentioned in a post above surely is from the same manufacturer as the River Rock Nightfire. I was dissapointed of the fast diminishing brightness and gave it to a friend. But it had be interesting to try with NiMh-cells instead. Slightly lower output from the beginning but a higher average output and better runtime would be the result.

Here I found the 2C flashlight I was talking about. No doubt about that it's the same light, nearly complete identical design:
X-GLOW

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here I found the 2C flashlight I was talking about. No doubt about that it's the same light, nearly complete identical design:
X-GLOW

I would have to guess that they're on in the same. They look very similar, the main difference being the addition of the gold color ring on the Nightfire.

Do you remember how much you paid for it?