Surefire E2D, E1B & Stock 2D Mag LED vs. Daylite 160 (Pic Heavy)

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
After finally getting over to my brother's and coaxing him to lend me his torches, he begrudgingly parted with three out of his arsenal of four. (I had to leave him with something to play with. :crackup:)

He gave me his stock Maglite (2D LED) and two Surefires; his E2D Defender and his E1B Backup. The Backup is his EDC, since he is a captain for a major airline. In the cockpit he uses the low setting for filling out logs and what not. In the event of an electrical emergency he needs one within arm's reach at all times. (Hope he never has to use it for that). For his walkaround inspections he can see to the top of the tail on his Airbus 320.

Here are pics of the lights I'll be looking at tonight:
Contenders%2011-14-08.jpg

Here's a pic of just the Surefires & the Daylie for a better representation of size
Surefires&Daylite160.jpg

On to the beam shots. :popcorn: An Ambient shot of tonight first:
[FONT=&quot]
Ambient%2011-14.jpg
[/FONT]
For being so overcast, it's a pretty clear night near the ground.

The incandescent Surefire E2D Defender gets first honors of the night:
Defender%20E2D.jpg

Distance to the shed door is 66ft, to the end of the fence is 164 ft. The distance from the middle of the shed to the third visible fence post to the right is ~ 36 feet, to the 2nd is ~28 1/3 feet, and to the first visible post is ~20 feet. I think this little gal does an excellent job for her size and genetic makeup. She Illuminates the entire front and side of the shed with a warm yellow glow, and spills past it to the end of the neighbor's fence. (55 Yards) She also exhibits strong lateral spill out to almost the 20 foot mark, with additional spill out to the 3rd post. She wears her heritage with grace and style.

Next, the Surefire Backup E1B:
Backup%20E1B.jpg

Nothing graceful about this guy! Is all about power! :naughty: One can see why Surefires get such high marks for quality. Nice white beam, the semblance of a hot spot at 66', and a spill that laterally lights up the fence out past 32 feet. Most of the neighbor's shed and back of house even get touched. Fence behind shed is lit well. Amazing performance for a very small, 2 mode, 80 lumens light.

Next, the Duracell Daylite 160 lumens:
Daylite%20160%2011-14.jpg

In my opinion, the Daylite 160's strengths are bright ,white light and spill that is concentrated primarily forward, as opposed to laterally. This is the result of a combination reflector & movable lens. Coupled with its small, sturdy design and more or less "classic" styling, it has found a home in my jacket pocket, although it is just slightly too long to be considered an Every Day Carry by most. (It might get EDC duty by more people if it had a clip Duracell:shrug:.)

And finally, the Stock 2D Maglite LED
MagLED.jpg

It sure beats the old Mags.

Full Resolution Screenshows are better for seeing differences. They can be downloaded here: (Press ESC to stop the show. Sorry, not Apple compatible :shakehead )
Edited 11/16/08: I have updated the screenshows, using improved "white balanced" photos.

http://home.comcast.net/~rasanford1/Flashlights/Surefire Defender E2D vs. Daylite 160.exe

http://home.comcast.net/~rasanford1/Flashlights/Surefire Backup E1B vs. Daylite 160.exe

http://home.comcast.net/~rasanford1/Flashlights/Mag 2D LED vs. Daylite 160.exe

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened
Re: Surefire E2D, E1B & Stock 2D Mag LED vs. Daylite 160

Nice beamshots HitecDrftr! That hotspot from the E1B is something else isn't it?
I love the TIR optic,it's amazing what a great little performer this light is.
A couple weeks back i was rewiring a breaker box for a friend,i noticed he had a Mag 2AA in his hand and i kinda chucked.He said "what's so funny,this things the cats ***.look how bright it is for it's size." okay at this point i was laughing.
I pull into my pocket and pull out my E1B and completly illuminated his basement.
The look on his face was priceless,I'm still laughing.

Take care

SureAddicted

Enlightened

Cool beamshots HitecDrftr, thanks for sharing them. I noticed something with the pics. With the ambient shot, everything looks normal, greyish sky and the house furthest away seems to have incanish light bulbs. Same goes for the E2D. With the E1B and Duracell pics, the sky seems to have a orange tint and the house furthest away looks like they've used red light bulbs. Is that anything to do with the camera setting or the LED lights?

1996alnl

Enlightened

Good point,Sureaddicted.
I didn't notice that before.

Take care

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened

Cool beamshots HitecDrftr, thanks for sharing them. I noticed something with the pics. With the ambient shot, everything looks normal, greyish sky and the house furthest away seems to have incanish light bulbs. Same goes for the E2D. With the E1B and Duracell pics, the sky seems to have a orange tint and the house furthest away looks like they've used red light bulbs. Is that anything to do with the camera setting or the LED lights?

I am sure it has to do with how the camera is perceiving the available light. I am using a Canon Powershot A400 on manual, with ISO of 400, light sensitivity set at +2 and of course, no flash. Shots are all taken within about a minute of each other. This phenomenon has manifested itself in my previous photos. Not being much of a photographer , this is about the best I can do. The beams, hot spots, coronas, and spills are pretty much how I perceive them in real time.

Thanks for the replies,

Hitec

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Set your camera's white balance to one setting - daylight setting is usually best, just get it off auto - to keep the color the same for all the shots.
I am sure it has to do with how the camera is perceiving the available light.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened

Set your camera's white balance to one setting - daylight setting is usually best, just get it off auto - to keep the color the same for all the shots.

I think that helped!
It was much darker tonight when these were taken. Also a lot windier, so some pics may be a little blurred. This is not a great low light camera, but you be the judge.

Ambient:

01Ambient%2011-16.JPG

Surefire E2D
E2D%2011-16.JPG

Surefire E1B
E1B%2011-16.JPG

Duracell Daylite 160
Daylite%20160%2011-16.JPG

2D Maglite LED
Mag%202D%20LED%2011-16.JPG

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened

Wow,much better. You know what that Duracell is no slouch:shrug:

Take care

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened

Wow,much better. You know what that Duracell is no slouch:shrug:

Take care

Not when you consider that you can buy four of them for the price of an E1B.

But if you primarily buy lights to be impressed with beam shots on walls, the Daylite is not for you. It has a beamshot that is "strangely unique and unimpressive" to say the least. It will disturb folks who expect it to follow the typical convention.

This beam shot is taken only 15 inches from the wall:
Daylite160%20Wall%20Shot.JPG

In this beam shot comparison (shot from 10 feet away), the E1B is on the left, the Daylite 160 on the right. The Daylite's beam is truly unimpressive using this metric. It is hard to believe it is the same light that lights up the night in the outdoor pictures. Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction!
Daylite160%20Wall%20Shot%20from%2010%20ft.JPG

I wonder if Duracell will ever come out with a tactical! :takeit:

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened

Another shocker - the E2D LED is now the same price as the E1B. It doubles the E2D light output and still more than doubles the time. Of course, it also has that low output - like the E1B - just lasts twice as long on that setting, too - 76 hours! That Duracell is neat. Who carries them?

Stainz

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened

That Duracell is neat. Who carries them?
Stainz

This is still the cheapest place on the internet. Even cheaper if you have a rebate code:

https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(c1ywko55mj25bj55x5skhj3q)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=998023155

If you live in Wisconsin, Iowa, or Illinois, this brick & morter sells them for $29.99:

http://farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=591774&h=050603005

Also, your local Ace Hardware can order one for you.

They are not sold at Walmarts, Targets, Home Depots, or Lowes. They are in very limited supply because Duracell is using their manufacturing capacity to fill Walmart shelves with the other two 80 lumens, 3watt models. (This is what Duracell told me when I called to find out where to buy them. They also said that Walmart had declined to buy the 4watt, 160 lumens line. (Don't understand the logic on that one.)

Hitec