chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leatherman%20Serac%20S1.png

Leatherman%20Serac%20S2%20-%20high.png

Leatherman%20Serac%20S2%20-%20low.png

Leatherman%20Serac%20S3%20-%20high.png

Leatherman%20Serac%20S3%20-%20medium.png

Leatherman%20Serac%20S3%20-%20low.png

As you can see, this S3 has a very low voltage LED. It's so low that it is in direct drive for about 16.5 minutes before the cell voltage dropped low enough that it could be regulated.

The High mode test shows that it is being significantly overdriven by an RCR123 cell. For this reason, I can not recommend the use of lithium-ion cells in the S3.

The clip on the S3 is pure genius. The way it attaches, and the ease with which it is removed and reversed is brilliant. This helps make the S3 a great headlamp when clipped to a baseball cap. While the clip on the S1 and S2 is nowhere near as sophisticated, they too serve well as headlamps when attached to a cap.

Of note, the low mode PWM of the S2 is very visible, at least to me. If you are sensitive to PWM, this may be an issue.

The high mode of the S2 also has some sort of flickering, though I do not know if it is PWM. You can see the thickness of the lines on High, which is because my meter was in Fast mode and was able to catch the fluctuations. I can also see a very slight pulsing when I shine the light at a fan. This does not in an way impact the usefulness of the light because it is not visible unless you look very hard for it.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S1 looks like a total winner to me, but I wish that it was a twisty so that it could be shorter.

It was very nice to see a chevofreak runtime plot again.

nzbazza

Enlightened
Thanks for the hard work!

The regulation shown on the S3 is pretty amazing. Maglite are you watching

To me these graphs confirm that the Serac range is made by Fenix as the performance recorded wrt output levels, runtimes and regulation, looks almost identical to the corresponding Fenix model i.e.
S1 = E01, S2 = LD01 (or L0D) less the med level, and the S3 = PD20 (P2D)

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the runtime graphs Chevro:twothumbs

Good to see you posting them again :D

Sverre

5kids

Newly Enlightened
To me these graphs confirm that the Serac range is made by Fenix as the performance recorded wrt output levels, runtimes and regulation, looks almost identical to the corresponding Fenix model
I was at Costco yesterday and they have a Leatherman Blast and Leatherman 1-AA LED light bundle for $49.99. I compared the light in the blister pack to my Fenix L1D Q5 I had with me, and everything (dimensions, knurling, machined flats, anodizing, reflector, texturing, etc..) appeared to be 100% the same. The package indicated something like single level 98 lumens. As far as I know, all Fenix L1D's are multi stage. I have no doubt this leatherman is machined by Fenix, but the output doesn't match Fenix.

I was trying to find out more about this light, and this thread was the only "leatherman" match that wasn't the Monarch light.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently compared my Fenix P2D to a Serac S3 in a store and I didn't think they were very similar in construction and wouldn't come to the conclusion that they were made by the same builder just from the comparison.

The S3 is much heavier than the P2D.

The switch on the S3 is much more sensitive when changing modes than the P2D.

The S3 is larger diameter.

The S3 modes can be accessed via head twists as well as via tail switch presses.

The S3 beam is smoother than my P2D.

The S3 seemed brighter in Low, Med & High than my P2D, but my P2D battery wasn't fresh.

Has anyone proven that the Leatherman and Fenix lights are made by the same manufacturer? My impression from my comparison is that they're not made by the same manufacturer.

The S3 did work well as a twisty.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I think 7777 said they are made by Fenix. The S1 and S2 I own are very much like the E01 and LOD. I don't have the LOD however do own the E01. The tint is a bit better on the S1 however clearly the light is the same as the E01. Even the threads match. However the bezel is stainless and it has a clicky. The SS bezel and larger body also add a bit to the bulk etc. The S2 run times are the same as the LOD. However the beam is better but this could be just a minor change in the reflector or LED lottery.

The main downside to the S1-S2 is the sensitive switch. Both can flicker every now and then but a click clears that up. One positive to the sensitive switch is fast change from modes. A very light tap will push it up or down a mode. Funny thing is the switch seems not too sensitive for first turn on. However once turned on it is very sensitive to flicker if the the clicky is lightly tapped or if it didn't fully click right (maybe contact with the boot).

Overall the better beam (centered perfectly, tint and fewer artifacts) makes up for the too sensitive switch. Or that is my feeling for the time being. The S1-S2 can be used as a twisty or clicky.

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
The S1 looks like a total winner to me, but I wish that it was a twisty so that it could be shorter.

Put the S1 head on an E01 black body and yer done, got yourself a twisty.:thumbsup:

I did that with a S2 head on an E01 body just for fun, and got a 2 stage twisty with a nicer tint.

Bill

Last edited:

Latest posts