4WD advice ??

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, My old Suzuki Samurai sort gave it up today, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. The main thing is the clutch went out- No problem, I can fix that, but I don't know if I should bother The vehicle is really beat up-

The engine is really tired too- It has about 150,000 HARD miles on it and while it doesn't leak or burn oil, my compression is about 50% of OEM spec and only about 75% of minimum recommended acceptable. So, I really need a rebuild on the engine too, and I don't think I'm a good enough mechanic to do a complete rebuild myself, althbough I can probably do a long block installation.

Of course I could do an engine/tranny swap to a small V-6, and I'd like the extra performance, but that would be at the edge of my mechanical competence too, and I don't think I want to have to deal with all the unexpected "making stuff fit and operate" hassles.

So, really, the SMART thing to do would be to buy a new vehicle. ( I won't buy used, even though my budget is more in line with used).

So, I'm asking for advice and your experiences within my limitations: I need four wheel drive, and I can pay about $20,000 cash and have an about $1500 - $2000 trade-in value on another car. A pickup would be more practical, so I can haul more crap around, but a SUV type would be OK too.

I don't want anything fancy, but fairly comfortable (which the Samurai definitely ain't) tough and reliable.

Any ideas??? Thanks!

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Re: 4WD advice

My first suggestion would be the Jeep Wrangler. Its pretty powerful with the 6 cylinder but the 4 may be closer to your budget. If I was still single I'd get another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My current ride is the Kia Sorento. Its a about 25k out the door and the 10 year/100,00 mile warranty is a good selling point.

Chris

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Subaru Impreza Outback sport which is all wheel drive. Does that qualify for 4WD? It's been a decent car for the most part but refinements are lacking meaning it's noisy and a bit bumpy of a ride for a car and gas mileage is not great. I have found the excellent ABS brake system to be more of a boon then the AWD. If I were to buy another anytime soon, I would at least test drive a Toyota Rav4.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't laugh, but I saw the Kia SUV the other day and (althought I have reservations about Kia) it seemed well built--possibly due to the merging of Kia and Hundai?
Decked out with V6 and 4WD for low 20's

My Father-in-law has a small Mazda pickup that he got 2 years ago for around 19 and he hasn't had any problems. Built on Ranger platform if I'm not mistaken.

Jason

Tomas

Banned

While I can't directly suggest any current vehicles, I will comment that I've had, uh, 18, I think, 4X4s that have included Jeep, Ford and Toyota (all new, 1973 to present).

Of those the overall most rugged with the best ability to survive were the Toyotas (all Land Crushers, er, Cruisers, but the ones I enjoyed the most were the Jeeps. (Jeff Jeep was an especially fun rig, and had an almost zero cost for upkeep, which is unusual.)

While the Fords were competant vehicles, they didn't measure up to the others either in design or execution.

tomsig03.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Ooh ooh! Pick me pick me!

Chevy Avalanche? Used Silvirado. Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma or maybe even a Tundra.

CNC Dan

Enlightened

If you can swing it, and you need a real 4WD, get the JEEP.
I got a '99 and can't beleave what you can do with it. I used to have a toyota Pickup, and that was good too, but I needed 4 passenger capacity. The rear seat is easy to take out if you need more cargo room. And if you get a soft top wiht it, you will like the top down driving experiance. But it you don't need 'real 4WD' you might look into subaru's forester. The ride will be much better.

BF Hammer

Enlightened

Jeep Wrangler. I bought a 2001 model new, with most of the options for under 24K. Strip down some of the options and you are right around your budget. 97 and newer models have a redesigned suspension that isn't as rough as previous models on the road, and many off-roaders will say the suspension works better on trails also. I'm told the 2.8L 4 cyl has plenty of power for off-road, but lacks on the highway. I specifically bought the vehicle for the 4.0L six cyl because of it's reputation for long, reliable service (in Wranglers, anyways). Remember to have fun while shopping for your new truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ford has a nice rebate "thing" going on right now. Sticker on my 2003 Explorer was $27500, I end up paing $22500. I think it also applies to all Ford trucks/SUVs. F150s are dirt cheap - new ones are coming out in about a month, so they need to get rid of older models...

Blikbok

Enlightened

Have an `82 CJ-7. I've ridden in the `98 Wrangler, and it is definately a better, refined ride. The straight-six is nearly indestructable, wether the GM 250 or the AMC 258. Not sure about the 4.0 L (or whatever) because, honestly, I haven't seen one junked for twenty years and rebuilt like the 250. :-D

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
Don't laugh, but I saw the Kia SUV the other day and (althought I have reservations about Kia) it seemed well built--possibly due to the merging of Kia and Hundai?
Decked out with V6 and 4WD for low 20's

My Father-in-law has a small Mazda pickup that he got 2 years ago for around 19 and he hasn't had any problems. Built on Ranger platform if I'm not mistaken.

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Kia is Mazda's Korean subsidiary, though there is very little parts interchangeability between the two marques, they are both built to similar quality standards. Hyundai (on the other hand) is associated with Mitsubishi and tends to utilize the last generation of technology of the parent company. Lastly, Mazda did start using the Ford Ranger platform in 1993. I hope this helps.

Dan

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

PercaDan--thanks for the info.

If I had the money, I'd get a '03 4-Runner LTD! Maybe after the wife comes home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try checking out Edmunds and seeing what rebates are available in your area and price "true value," not MSRP. You can also do a nice comparison between the brands/models. I used Edmunds for all my car needs last year for my wife's car--it's a great tool.

-Jason

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys, and especially for that link to Edmunds- a lot of info easily accessed there.

Course if I had the money I'd get a Hummer......

Keep the advice coming, This is going to be a hard decision... even though that Samurai is underpowered, as noisy as a Megadeth concert and has a ride like a bucking horse, I still love the little guy. Never failed to get me where I wanted to go.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Silveron,
Just about anything would be an improvement over the Samurai for comfort, ride and power.

I don't like the Jeeps and I have owned two. Hot in the summer cold in the winter, ride rough and are noisy all the time. The 97 and newer is better but still suffers from the same problems. Although, after a Samurai the Wrangler would feel like your were driving a Cadillac.

Toyota would be a good choice but they are cost prohibitive (over $20k) and once it gets older replacing parts is expensive.(all imports suffer this fate)

What about getting a $12k new economy car and a $8k older model 4x4. For $8k I would get a 93-94 nice K-Blazer or a Wrangler. (I can stand a Jeep as a second vehicle)

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, Dave, I'm trying to replace 2 vehicles- I have a "road car", an 84 Olds Toronado that is in superb condition: Only 50K miles on it and it sat in a garage for 8 years, just started and driven a couple of miles every few weeks to keep the seals and stuff in good shape.

While a SUV type would be nice for camping and exploration, I'm thinking that a Pick-up would be more practical, so I can haul stuff. My previous 2 vehicles before the Samurai were pick-ups and I miss the hauling capacity about three times a month.

I wish Isuzu still made a small 4X4 Diesel pickup. That's what I had before I got the Samurai, and I would have kept it but the tranny went out and the best deal I could find on a used replacement was $2500 plus a couple hundred for shipping, and a new 'zuk was only 7 grand, which is what they wanted for a new Isuzu tranny.

I had a buddy that bought an Isuzu identical to mine a couple of weeks later than I did and his went 350K miles without any more than normal maintainence before he sold it.

Bill.H

Enlightened

Easy choice, get the F-150 longbed, or Supercab shortbed (139" long wheelbase model for a smoother ride), with automatic trans and Triton V-8. You may have to cut back on the options to get your price, but there's rebates and 0% financing available. This is a real truck, not a car-based small SUV. Big difference if the vehicle is subject to hard use.
Ever notice how many F-150s are on the road? Look how old many of them are. They just keep on going.

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened

I'm thinking I like the Crosslander for affordable and simple. And for me, diesel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Unfortunately they won't answer my emails as to whether they'll be sold in Canada once available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

DieselDave said:
Silveron,
I don't like the Jeeps and I have owned two. Hot in the summer cold in the winter, ride rough and are noisy all the time. The 97 and newer is better but still suffers from the same problems. Although, after a Samurai the Wrangler would feel like your were driving a Cadillac.

How about this, I will quote and disagree with myself.

Because of this thread I drove home a 2002 Wrangler with the Sahara package and 6k miles. It is a 5 speed, 6cyl with AC and CD. This particular one has the full doors with roll-up glass windows. I will be driving the truck all weekend. My initial impressions are positive. The full doors make a huge difference in noise especially at higher speeds. They will also help with temp. regulation. As with the 97 and newer Jeep the ride is much smoother and power is adequate.

Bottom line...I could tolerate driving this vehicle every day. For what it's designed to do, it's nice. As far as a used 4x4 daily driver goes that cost $20k it would still be way down my list.

$20k used 4x4's I would want and in this order.

1999 Diesel Suburban with 70k miles
1999 Gas Suburban with 20k mile
2000 4dr Tahoe or Yukon with 70k miles
1999 2dr Tahoe or Yukon with 30k miles
2000 Ford F-250 Diesel Crew Cab with 90k miles
2000 Silverado X-Cab with 50k miles
1999 K-2500 Diesel Crew Cab Short wheel base with 70k miles
2000 Excursion Diesel with 90k miles
1995 Land Cruiser with 80k miles
2001 Isuzu Trooper with 40k miles
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with 6k miles

For the most part I like my trucks large. I have owned 9 Suburbans. I owned one when I got married in 1987. My wife said she would never drive the oversized rig. Six months later I couldn't get her out of it. In the 16 years (anniversary is in 2 weeks) I have been married I have bought her 3 other vehicles and she always wanted to get out of it and back into a Sub. I have owned 3 at one time, but that's another story about when I was stupid. I have owned 2 Jeeps Wranglers and 2 Isuzu Troopers. The best car I have ever owned was a 1993 Buick Roadmaster Wagon. Huge, V-8 350 engine, luxury and 25 MPG.

There are so many good choices. Price on every vehicle is stupidly high for what you get. We can thank the greed of corporate America and labor unions for that.

Here is an interesting factoid. Chevrolet loses over $600 on every new Cavalier it sells. That loss is before any rebate or incentive. Right now they have a $3,000 rebate so Chevy loses over $3,600 on every one. The obvious question is why do they continue making it? Answer, CAFÉ. (Combined Average Fuel Economy) They need X number of Cav's sold to raise the fleet MPG. They must lose money so they can be competitive enough to sell a zillion of them every year. Money is taken from full size trucks and SUV's and given back to the Cav. to offset the loss.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

That Crosslander is pretty cool- Looks like the love child of an old Land Rover and an old Land Cruiser.

I don't think I'd want to buy a Romanian designed, Brazillian manufactured vehicle though, with all due respect to Romanians and Brazillians.