Surefire KL1/E2E vs X5??

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
A few others at work have purchased the X5 and I like the size of it. I also like the run-times of LED lights. As an E2E owner, I wondered how the KL1 compared to the X5 as far as output. Brighter? Better throw? Should I wait on the KL4 sometime in 2004?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SUREFARC

Enlightened
"Brighter? "

Much brighter!

"Better throw? "

You bet!

"Should I wait on the KL4 sometime in 2004?? "

I believe we can expect it around 'xmas hopefully. Yeah wait on it!

BTW, I do think the X5T is way huge.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's very little comparison... The E2e-KL1 will outthrow the X5, and will be much brighter... The newer X5Ts have been whiter, but it's still not as bright as a KL1. Whereas the X5 has a larger beam spread out, the NX05 of the KL1 produces a better, deeper hotspot.

In the meantime of waiting for the KL4, grab yourself a KL1. I'm sure you'll like it.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. There's never a shortage of knowledge within candlepowerforums!

trocky

Newly Enlightened
Anyone?
Is it fact or fiction that SureFire is coming out with a larger wattage LED head assembly to upsatge the KL1 for the E2E's?
And how does the Inova X5 rate? does it have a focused beam?
I'm new to all this and don't know *&%3%@ from shinola.
One more question: Does the ARC LSH-Premium have a focused beam or is it just for general ilumination?
A friend has an LSL factory second with a bluish white light to it that has no focused beam from hand to the ground as we walked to our cars last night. He claims I might not see much of a difference betweenan LSH-P and what he has. Opinions please. And where can you find good prices for LSH-P's ...???... is a good price.
Thanks people for your advice.
Trocky

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 (a 5 Watt LS version) is "slated" for later at the end of this year. As of right now, it's still vaporware until it hits the dealers.

The X5 is not a focused beam. It's quite spread out, about a 30-40 degree beam spread from a foot away. In relation, it's just a tad smaller than twice the beam spread of the KL1.

The low dome (LSL) is not going to throw as good a beam as the high dome (LSH). Low domes have better spread out beams, while high domes have a hotter "hotspot". The factory second could've had an imperfect Luxeon, and the Premium will pretty much guarantee you a whiter color and good brightness and overall a better beam shape.

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened
LSH-P is much brighter, whiter and better throw beam than a LSL (even a P)

I have a Inova, a LSH-P and a E2e w/KL-1.

LSH-P much much brighter, whiter and better throw beam than the other 2
E2e (or E1e) w/KL-1 not as bright as the LSH-P but much better thhan the Inova

The Inova is a $30-40 light the SureFire and the ARC are in a much different class than the Inova X5 (Guess they should be with both over $100)

Hope this helps...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, and check out CountyComm, Tactical Warehouse, or the numerous dealers here that sponsor CPF. They usually give you both a low price and prevent you from getting a headache later on if you have problems with your order.

trocky

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire KL1/E2E vs ARC LSH-P

Opinions on LSH-P VS KL1 Head? Other than size and weight.
Which light would work with well within what distance ranges. Aprox. will do if you can guestimate.
Thanks again,
Trocky

trocky

Newly Enlightened

Another question ...is the ARC AAA LE(2002) or PE(2003) a bright keyhole finder or just cute and extremely well made.
What are it's general uses and how would you rate it.
Everyone says it's a must to have, so it's got to be real good?
Pls. advise,
Trocky

paulr

Flashaholic

The Arc AAA doesn't try to be a real bright light; it's about like a typical LED keychain light in brightness. I'd say it's more than a keyhole finder. It's fine for walking in the dark, for reading, looking at maps, or most other close-up tasks. It's not a searchlight. The difference between the Arc and (say) a Photon is that the Photon light will be bright for the first few minutes with new batteries, then taper off into uselessness and then you have some semi-expensive lithium coin cells to replace. The Arc will run with near-steady output for 4 hours or so on a normal easy-to-find AAA before dropping to "moon mode". Then if you give the battery a rest it will run for a couple more hours with near-normal brightness. If you have an AAA-incandescent light like a PT Rage, after the Rage's batteries are too weak to run the Rage, they're still good for quite a while in the Arc, because of the Arc's built-in dc-dc converter.

The Arc is also made of hard-anodized aluminum instead of plastic, and doesn't give the impression it will flake out like the squeeze lights, though I haven't had mine long enough to know what will happen. It has a 10 year warranty in case something does happen.

The Arc AAA LE/PE is the same as the regular AAA except the LED is specially selected for neutral color. It's a lot more expensive than the regular AAA. I think the regular AAA is a better value ($17 at Countycomm except now out of stock). I have the regular AAA, whose light has a slight blue cast and it doesn't bother me at all.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

In low or no light conditions, both the LSHP and KL1 will provide good illuminate to 25-35 feet out. The LSHP will carry its beam out farther to about 50 feet away.

Trocky, you won't be disappointed if you get an ArcAAA, either an LE or PE... Both will be bright enough to walk around the house at night or walk around a campground at night, let alone something like finding a keyhole...

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think there is a general misconception about how far these lights throw beams of light. I had an E1E-kL1 and sold it because it was purplish in color and didn't out throw my ARC LSH-P which was much whiter. With my ARC I can light up something 60-70 feet away,or a bit farther. But it's not a beam actually at that point but a wash of faded light. At a distance of 20 it's bright enough to identify what I'm pointing my light at.If I was in a dark forest i'm sure my perception would be different, Both of the these lights have an advantage in run time, not brightness over their bulbed counterparts. I would never consider the KL1/& E1 or E2 or the ARC LSH-P anything but a supplemental or close up task light.

SUREFARC

Enlightened

In terms of beam quality, the LSHP is king! The whitest out there. Yeah it has a focused hot spot with a large side spill which makes this light so useful. The advantage of the E2e/KL1 combo is that you can later get the KL4 to upgrade it to 5W LS with a 85-120 lumen output. That's kinda breathtaking!