cordless phone battery driving CREE?

rockz4532

Enlightened
i want to make something of my broken coleman 2aa max. I have a 3.6v cordless phone battery (tested fully charged at 3.8) and want to use it for direct driving the CREE. will 3.6v 800 mah be too much for the LED, or will it work? it currently has a driver circuit (step up from 3v-3.6) that is functional. i have tested the cree with this battery, and it has worked, but i want your guyses oppionion before i do some soldering.
Edit: also since there is a driver, can i mod this into my 2d mag, or will the current fry the driver?

Holepuncher

Enlightened
Should be fine running the cree with the driver in the 2d mag if you can mechanically get it in there. I'd be leary of connecting the driver to a 3.6v rechargeable battery. Fully charged that battery should be more like 4.3 volts. If the driver was strictly designed for 2AA batterys there may be a problem. Probably some experts here who have hacked a coleman lantern could tell you for sure.

Last edited:

rockz4532

Enlightened
oh i ment for the 3.6 v battery for directg drive, no driver, but i would figure it would fry the driver if i tried to run it off d's. so whens your funeral holepuncher?:laughing:

Holepuncher

Enlightened
Well hopefully my funeral wont be for at least 20 years but I'm sinking fast into flashaholism and doing crazy things so it may be sooner.

You should have no problem direct driving the LED from your 3.6 volt battery assuming the led is rated for at least a couple of watts and is on a star board. If you run the driver/led from 2 d's there should be no problem.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wanted to do this with a few smd leds on my i560 direct run off the phone battery,

rockz4532

Enlightened
just tested it, but the pill got uncomfortly hot in 20 seconds, so i think ill just use it with the phone battery.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
mA is the current delivered to the LED, mAh is the capacity of the battery.

mAh has very little to do with what current the LED sees.